Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    29ers Only.

MTBR Exclusive look at New NINER FS proto

[size=2]We've been itching to let the veil off of her for about a week now to see what you think. This is a 6 inch travel [/size][size=2]All[/size][size=2]Mountain[/size][size=2] bike. We're not sure the market is ready yet for such a long travel bike, but we wanted to see what was possible. Because of the bent seat tube, we were able to keep the chainstays to 460mm. The ultimate angle of the seat tube above the pivot was determined by using a vitual placement of the seat (adjusted per size) and making the effective seat tube angle 73 degrees. Obviously, this angle will change slightly depending on the seat height. I've been prototyping this frame as a 26 inch wheel for about a year now, and refining it before converting it over to a 29er. As she sits (without pedals) she is 30.2 pounds. This includes some new heavy duty 29er rims from WTB. We would love to hear your comments and look forward to you posts.[/size]

[size=2]Steve[/size]
    [size=2]Niner Bikes[/size]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

29ers Only.

One more shot

The lower link is one piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Reviewer/Tester
    ...Interesting..

Price?

R.
    It is inevitable ...

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Lot of pivot points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Fork

Is the rear 6" with a 5" fork or is this a new fork from WB?

I <3 NM
    Nice!!!

Recovering couch patato
    Steve, when I pray, is it you answering the call?

That bike is pretty much exactly what I've been looking to get as an ideal FS.
    But, I'm afriad your largest size won't be compatible with my long legs.
    Will these frame have a taller seattube top to not have lots of slack-angled seatpost taking the increased load?

Sure looks nice! Have you been riding it already?

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    that's really lovely, with some superb machine work.

good stuff
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

Moderator Moderator
    Awesome. Please tell me this bike will be in my booth at Interbike!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Well I must say very very nice. Look like a very sexy steed indeed. What may I ask is the fram weight???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Lot of pivot points.
    This was my first thought. Would they get flexy with time. 30.2 sounds good if it's 5"+ of travel. Heavy if it's 4" or less.

Witty McWitterson
    Pretty nice looking. You guys are all over it! Interbike should be a good for ya.
    Just a regular guy.

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    This was my first thought. Would they get flexy with time. 30.2 sounds good if it's 5"+ of travel. Heavy if it's 4" or less.
    four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    four pivots is the same as any horst link bike. I used larger bearings and have been hammering some downhill courses on the 26" version without issue of play. I won't be able to ride this version until after Interbike.
    I guess similar to the VPP (all pivots near the front and none in the back) which I felt was laterally stiffer than FSR. I'm not being critical, just giving constructive criticism. Hope it was received that way.

I had the idea one time of a FS design which would be similar to the old ' 82 Suzuki RM-125s and 250s. They had a design back then called the Full Floater which worked great to combat squat when accelerating. Unfortunately, I think someone else alreday has a patent on such a design.

oaken tub i'm in
    Holy s. Please stop making bikes. You're gonna make it hard to stick with my 12 step.

mtbr member
    The suspension looks similar to the concept that Balfa used with their 2Step FR frame - is this somewhat of an accurate statement?

I spent some time on a 2Step DH that I carried as a demo bike and for a 7" travel freeride bike it pedalled great and cornered like it was on rails. I never carried a 2Step FR as a demo, but other 2Step Riders really like the way the suspension worked on their 2Step frames - so perhaps you guys have taken that concept to the next level of refinement here with your 29er FS frame.

That bike looks truly amazing - and I give you guys mad props for really putting out some amazing frames in what seems to be a relatively short period of time as a company.

For comparison purposes:

Please produce this frame - people will buy it!!!!
    Last edited by MMcG; 09-14-2005 at 03:11 PM.

what a joke
    Wow, looks good. Cant wait to hear some ride reports.
    blah blah blah

Recovering couch patato
    Oh man, I bet with a bit bigger disc brakes and even tougher rims, that bike could really put some DH race bikes to shame!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah and if you need an East Coast Test pilot for this frame, please let me know as I'd be more than happy to oblige.

I can't stop coming back to this thread and looking at the photos over and over again.

mtbr member
    SWEET!

Looks a bit like it might function similar to a DW-Link Ironhorse or even the DW ripoff Giant Maestro stuff. Very cool. Throw a Mav DUC32 on the front and LOOK OUT!

Will you have a proto available to ride at Interbike? Not that I'll be there but it will be cool to hear how it rides.

Cheers!
    -Ian

mtbr member

Good job! Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    [size=2]We've been itching to let the veil off of her for about a week now to see what you think. This is a 6 inch travel [/size][size=2]All[/size][size=2]Mountain[/size][size=2] bike. We're not sure the market is ready yet for such a long travel bike, but we wanted to see what was possible. Because of the bent seat tube, we were able to keep the chainstays to 460mm. The ultimate angle of the seat tube above the pivot was determined by using a vitual placement of the seat (adjusted per size) and making the effective seat tube angle 73 degrees. Obviously, this angle will change slightly depending on the seat height. I've been prototyping this frame as a 26 inch wheel for about a year now, and refining it before converting it over to a 29er. As she sits (without pedals) she is 30.2 pounds. This includes some new heavy duty 29er rims from WTB. We would love to hear your comments and look forward to you posts.[/size]

[size=2]Steve[/size]
    [size=2]Niner Bikes[/size]
    Please try other rear shocks ie Manitou Swinger 4 way

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Or DHX 5.0 Air and Coil.
    blah blah blah

rider
    Jan 2005

Sweet looking ride!

My only worry is if my beloved Gravity Dropper Seatpost will work with such a steep ST angle. I may be in luck as I would need an XL sized frame and possibly it will not need to be so steep.

29erchico

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    On the 26" version, I've tried every single shock availible with this design (that would fit). So far, the Fox is the only shock that will actually get the travel to the end of the shaft (the full 2.5" claim). I had trouble with both the Manitou and the 5th Element Air ramping up too quickly in the stroke, making the last 1/4" almost impossible to get.

I will definitly ride all of the shocks I can. I've spent some time on the new Rock Shox Pearl with good results. They're still doing some refining, but the shock felt very nice and the spring rate did not ramp up too quickly. I do want to stick with air, however, to keep the weight down.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-14-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Recovering

Phenomenal

If you put that bike into production, I will be forced to buy one. Nice suspension design- is it different enough from the DW link to escape patent issues? I imagine the under-BB link might actually allow you to make the link stiffer than the DW-Link/Maestro above-BB link. The VPP suspension on my 26er Uzzi VPX is great. Would love to have a 29er with something similar. I've never salivated over a FS 29er like I have over that one...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast