Thread: minor crash

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

minor crash

Hey guys,

I had a crash a couple of weeks ago and I got around to looking at it close. It looks to me that no fibers are breeched and just the paint is chipped. You can kind of see the checker board pattern of the carbon layers. However when I tap a coin and get to the chip it clearly sounds dead but perhaps that is somewhat normal because the pain is gone. I know at the very least I need to seal it with paint or a clear coat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minor crash-niner-chip.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    Hey guys,

I had a crash a couple of weeks ago and I got around to looking at it close. It looks to me that no fibers are breeched and just the paint is chipped. You can kind of see the checker board pattern of the carbon layers. However when I tap a coin and get to the chip it clearly sounds dead but perhaps that is somewhat normal because the pain is gone. I know at the very least I need to seal it with paint or a clear coat.
    It looks like a big hit.

I would get someone that knows about carbon to look at it.

mtbr member
    Based on the picture and that it sounds different when you tap on it I'd definitely get it looked at.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Everyone that I know that has crashed and cracked any material has said that it was a really minor crash, cars, motorcycles, helicopters, and bicycles. Not trying to discount your experience just saying that because you didn't loose a leg or break your neck does not mean that the bike didn't go careening down a clif into a pit of despair. On a lighter note, niner offers crash replacement and calffee can typically put a ht back on for around $300
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks guys I will get it looked at. I tell you this I'll never get a carbon mountain bike again. Itís only a matter of time before you bump a rock in this case it was a volcanic rock on the upper part of the McKenzie river trail in Oregon. Then itís toast.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys I will get it looked at. I tell you this I'll never get a carbon mountain bike again. Itís only a matter of time before you bump a rock in this case it was a volcanic rock on the upper part of the McKenzie river trail in Oregon. Then itís toast.
    Just the opposite for me. I find my carbon frames take way more abuse than any aluminum frame I've ever had. I've completely wrecked several aluminum frames but in my worst crashes yet which included a broken collar bone and a cracked Thomson Masterpiece seat post I've yet to break a Niner carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    Just the opposite for me. I find my carbon frames take way more abuse than any aluminum frame I've ever had. I've completely wrecked several aluminum frames but in my worst crashes yet which included a broken collar bone and a cracked Thomson Masterpiece seat post I've yet to break a Niner carbon frame.
    Around here in the Chicago area there has been a rash of replaced Jet 9 RDOs. This is my 2nd one I had a weird non crash related small crack and it took almost 8 weeks to get my bike back and Iíve only had the bike for a year. Before this I never broke a frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well I am in the final step of a DIY repair. I donít even think I needed to do anything more than a dab of epoxy on the paint chip.
    I ordered a carbon fiber kit and after I sanded off the paint (by hand) I was unable to hear any sound difference with the coin taps. So I added one layer of carbon fiber and sanded a painted.

My apologies to Niner for sounding so harsh and dissing their carbon frames. I guess I just had to learn the hard way that carbon bikes while light and strong do not respond well to rocks and require constant care. At the very least should come with touch up paint so you can seal any chips. Any chip left unsealed is asking for a failure. I read over time moisture will compromise unsealed parts of the frame, something my dealer never told me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have this spot on my down tube. It sounds solid still under the cracked paint.

The helicopter tape has pulled all of the cracked clear coat off. It is a pretty big area so I have yet to repair it. I also have two small areas on the swing arm where the paint and clear had been cracked off down to bare carbon. Both areas are about the size of a quarter. Those areas I just filled back in with epoxy.
    If it all ever really starts to bother me or I want to sell the frame I will have to send the frame to carbon repair expert to have completely repainted. I love the way the Jet9 RDO rides but it really takes some abuse from rock here in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    here's a picture of the fix. How do you like that paint match. Not bad for rustoleum and a few clear coats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minor crash-niner-fix.jpg  

Dirty South Underdog
    Well I am in the final step of a DIY repair. I donít even think I needed to do anything more than a dab of epoxy on the paint chip.
    I ordered a carbon fiber kit and after I sanded off the paint (by hand) I was unable to hear any sound difference with the coin taps. So I added one layer of carbon fiber and sanded a painted.

My apologies to Niner for sounding so harsh and dissing their carbon frames. I guess I just had to learn the hard way that carbon bikes while light and strong do not respond well to rocks and require constant care. At the very least should come with touch up paint so you can seal any chips. Any chip left unsealed is asking for a failure. I read over time moisture will compromise unsealed parts of the frame, something my dealer never told me.
    That same hit would have damaged an aluminum frame. Probably worse than what you experienced with carbon. The only constant care they require is that you don't fvck them off into a pile of rocks.... just like every other frame.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Niner will send you free touch up paint, all you have to do is ask.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I have this spot on my down tube. It sounds solid still under the cracked paint.

The helicopter tape has pulled all of the cracked clear coat off. It is a pretty big area so I have yet to repair it. I also have two small areas on the swing arm where the paint and clear had been cracked off down to bare carbon. Both areas are about the size of a quarter. Those areas I just filled back in with epoxy.
    If it all ever really starts to bother me or I want to sell the frame I will have to send the frame to carbon repair expert to have completely repainted. I love the way the Jet9 RDO rides but it really takes some abuse from rock here in Arizona.
    The helicopter tape won't really help major rock hits, but this stuff will allow for some major abuse. Shelter Bike Frame Protection
    I covered my new frame in key impact areas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You don'y have to be nasty I apologized to your boss!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hello,
    If you or anyone is still looking for Carbon repair we can help.
    We are a Virginia based carbon repair and manufacturing or custom parts.
    You can find pictures of our carbon repair work and paint matching on our web site.
    We have a 7 day turn around on all repairs.

Ric R
    www.concept2composite.com

29ers Only.
    Nice job on the fix, but we definitely recommend keeping an eye on the point of impact. While it is likely you only damaged the surface coat, it is possible that a crack could form there over time. Or it may never be a problem.
    However, if you do see signs that the carbon repair isn't holding, just give our customer service department a call. We can arrange a crash replacement and get you riding again ASAP.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com