mtbr member
    Oct 2009

MCR Front derailleur

The MCR supposedly requires a 28.6 clamp front d. but the tube is more like 29.2mm. What's up with that? The corners of the 28.6 bands are digging into the paint before I even start tightening the clamp. The bands seem to be aluminum so there's not much flex or give to them.

This is my first bike build and I seem to be running into roadblock after roadblock. Getting kind of frustrating.

PNW
    mtbr member
    XT top swing M770 28.6-34.9 is your friend

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW
    XT top swing M770 28.6-34.9 is your friend
    That's what I have, but none of the bands fit the seat tube. The 28.6 band is too small for the seat tube.

PNW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1529
    That's what I have, but none of the bands fit the seat tube. The 28.6 band is too small for the seat tube.
    Strange because I have installed quite a few on MCRs.
    I'm thinking, is it posible to have the bands in the wrong way?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    PNW, not sure how they could be on the wrong way. I have the "wide" end of the band toward the hinge. Both bands look identical to me except for a 1 and a 2 stamped inside next the the size but can't determine if 1 and 2 are different and need to be installed in clamp a certain way.

Niner website says to use 28.6 band and the seat tube measures 29.2 or so. The radius of the band doesn't fit around the tube and the corners of the band starts to dig into the paint right away because that's where the contact is being made. I can't even get the clamp to close enough to get the screw started without scratching the frame. The next size band is too sloppy.

PNW
    mtbr member
    So I wonder if Niner have changed the seat tube diameter?
    Shoot them an email if they don't reply here

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Niner replied that I do indeed use the 28.6 clamp. I just don't see how a 28.6 clamp will go on a 29.2 diameter tube without damaging something. Already marked up the paint. I can probably make it go on, but it sure ain't right.

The seatpost clamp is a 29.6. Fits nice.