mtbr member

Lost love for my RIP9.

I got my RIP9 1 year ago and never seemed to find the love for it that others write about. I live in south central Michigan and ride mostly XC trails. I still love my MCR9, but at 52 years old I want a smoother bike.
    The RIP and I have parted ways and she has moved to PA.
    My lbs has a JET9 frame I may build now to see if it would be more useful for my style of riding.
    About 7 people on my bike shop team have JET9s and love them.
    I was about to buy a different bike when it was recalled before I could get it.

Underskilled
    When I remember the good bits of my RIP, I miss it.
    Then i remember the bits that pissed me off and am happy I have a WFO now.

I have a piece of the frame on my desk to remind me not to follow fads.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    The RIP will be happy in PA. Mine loved the rocks and flowing trails.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterdirt
    I got my RIP9 1 year ago and never seemed to find the love for it that others write about. I live in south central Michigan and ride mostly XC trails. I still love my MCR9, but at 52 years old I want a smoother bike.
    The RIP and I have parted ways and she has moved to PA.
    My lbs has a JET9 frame I may build now to see if it would be more useful for my style of riding.
    About 7 people on my bike shop team have JET9s and love them.
    I was about to buy a different bike when it was recalled before I could get it.
    I have both the Rip9 & the Jet9, What about the Rip9 did you not like ?

mtbr member
    I am not a downhill or all mountain type of rider. I ride mainly xc trails in southern Michigan.
    It always felt sluggish handling to me. Other riders at my lbs loved theirs. My last FS bike was a 08 Giant Trance 1, IMO it handled better, but no more little wheels for me.
    Hard to describe, but it never felt right.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I also moved over from A trance 0 & have had many Anthems & even Giant reigns & I Love my Rip9 but if you are only doing XC then the Jet9 will feel much more alive to you.

My Jet9 with the XX fork realy feels like an attacking bike,it feels so much better over the bumps than My Anthem did ( I only had Anthems & have never ridden a Anthem X ) & the Jet is much more stable.

The last bike I had before I went to 29er was a Trance X0 & I did like it but the Jet & Rip were much more sure footted.

If thats what you were riding before you went to the Rip for the type of riding you are doing I'm sure you would love the Jet9.

The Rip9 is much more at home in very fast down hill stuff & that is what I like about it,But at med speed XC type stuff the Jet9 does feel alot more alive & on very High speed downhill stuff IMHO to alive & thus the reason I have both of them.

Just go for the Jet9 You will love it, Its is a very fun flickable bike that you can make dance on XC tracks much more so than the Rip9 it just grips.

I hope this helps, I hope I have manaded to help you understand how different the bikes are.

But IMHO the XX fork is a must for your next toy ( It's a deal braker ) if it doesn't have it don't buy it.

mtbr member
    I will be building from frame up, I will have to save for the XX fork. I will use my 2009 Reba SL for now. Do you have your fork set at 80 or 100mm travel?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterdirt
    I will be building from frame up, I will have to save for the XX fork. I will use my 2009 Reba SL for now. Do you have your fork set at 80 or 100mm travel?
    100mm

I'm heading off in 15 min to the best MTB in the country on my Jet9 & will be doing all the tracks I love on my Rip9.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    My rip9 came fedex today. I hope thisis different for me

Newt Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    When I remember the good bits of my RIP, I miss it.
    Then i remember the bits that pissed me off and am happy I have a WFO now.

I have a piece of the frame on my desk to remind me not to follow fads.
    I believe with the WFO there is really not much place for the RIP. It is that good in my opinion.

Now to send that leaking and sticky Zoke in for service...

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad
    My rip9 came fedex today. I hope thisis different for me
    Im sure you will love your Rip9,If I could only have the 1 bike it would be the Rip9

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    I believe with the WFO there is really not much place for the RIP. It is that good in my opinion.

Depends on how your RIP is built up, as well as how you build up your WFO. My RIP is more or less built up as a 4 1/2" fun trail bike. My AIR 9 is built up as a durable XC buff single track hard tail. My WFO is built up heavy AM /bike park configuration. Each has a purpose, and a function that it's best at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    South Central Michigan isn't quite challenging enough for a RIP, I love POTO but that is great terrritory for a 80-100mm travel FS bike..

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Horses for Courses. I have found my RIP 9 with a Reba 140mm is the best bike I have ever ridden.

That might not be my opinion if I lived in a different area. Maybe the JET 9 or even a hardtail might be better for you? That's why most riders have a few different bikes. It's not much fun riding trails on the wrong rig. No matter how good the RIP is, it's not always the best choice for every rider or every trail.

JMH

code: mtbr2011
    i came from a santa cruz superlight to the rip9 and i cannot think of a better bike for my riding style and the trails i ride here.
    this bike does everything...and does it well for me. i'm headed to moab in a few weeks, and can't wait to ride some of those trails on this bike.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Welp, it depends on what you like

I really like my RIP 9 but I wish it were a bit a lighter and I had a 140mm-120 Talas fork on it. Otherwise, a great ride. E
    ach to their own. I"m going to Moab and St George and I'm taking my Santa Cruz Blur LT. I still like 26" bikes on some trails.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers

That's kind of what I'm thinking... I have an Air9... Which is perfect for the trails I regularly ride around here... But at some point, I wouldn't mind picking up a burlier FS bike (still 29er) for gnarlier trails (either up in the UP, or out of state trips... Snowshoe is about 8hrs away)... If I were going long travel 29er, I think I'd get a WFO and put a hammerschmidt on it, to get a "granny" for climbing... but yet still have the super capable travel of the WFO... RIP9 is awesome, but thinking if going that route (for me personally), I'd go all the way to a WFO...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I really like my RIP 9 but I wish it were a bit a lighter and I had a 140mm-120 Talas fork on it. Otherwise, a great ride. E
    ach to their own. I"m going to Moab and St George and I'm taking my Santa Cruz Blur LT. I still like 26" bikes on some trails.
    A 140-120 Talas huh