29ers Only.

Niner Bikes Zen 9 Full Suspension Sneak Peak

I know that many of you are very excited about our new suspension bike which makes us even more excited to show it to you, so here it is. Prototype #2.

We know, we know. This is kind of a tease. We're just not quite ready to show you the whole thing yet.

As you can see, we're hard at work trying to perfect the frame for it's release later this year. We are pushing for a release date of June, but this is not set in stone. The bike rides great but needs a few tweaks here and there. Chris and I hammered the two protos on an epic six hour climb/descend fest and we will continue to beat the crap out of these two frames until we know every little nuance and work out every little detail from cable routing to angles to suspension movement so that it's as perfect as it can be come delivery time to you.

We'll post complete frame pics when we have pre-production prototypes that are a little more dialed.

Stay tuned for more...

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 01-19-2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: oops

gray hair in my shammy
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    I know that many of you are very excited about our new suspension bike which makes us even more excited to show it to you, so here it is. Prototype #2.

Stay tuned for more...

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Hey Guys,
    Is this the ~4inch travel frame? If so, what do you think the wieght will come in at?

Thanks
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ...Chris and I hammered the two protos on an epic six hour climb/descend fest and we will continue to beat the crap out of these two frames....
    Sounds like a hard day at the office.

And He was Not
    Rough job. Let me know if you need any help thrashing those proto bikes.

Cyclist
    Good news. I'm currently saving up for new FS.

I hope this isn't a single pivot bike.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I love it already. I can see one of those in my future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Good news. I'm currently saving up for new FS.

I hope this isn't a single pivot bike.
    If it is like their initial prototype - it is more like a VPP, DW-Link, Balfa 2-Step suspension design.

Dec 2005

Niner

It is nice to see a new company jump into the 29er realm like niner bikes. Good job with what you have offered so far. Not to go off the topic of full susp. but how realistic is it to ask Niner if you ever considered an aluminum frame with replaceable derailer hanger disc and v compatable?
    No one in the industry has addressed this other than a few small frame builders. Fisher can't keep up with the demand so a frameset from them is highly unlikely for 06 at least this is what I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I love it already. I can see one of those in my future.

Over the Hill
    Steve, trail looks like Strawberry Peak in the San Gabriels?

mtbr member

GREAT! - And perfect timing

I had a S.I.R. 9 on order, but had come to realize that with my bad back that I no longer can ride a HT &/or single speed......so reluctantly I had to cancel my order. Bummed out as I really want to get on a 9er.

I have just started doing some "looking" at what 29" full suspension frames are available. I love what Niner has been doing and I can pretty much bet that your FS will be an excellent choice.

Can't wait to see a final version.

KMan

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Steve, trail looks like Strawberry Peak in the San Gabriels?
    Good eye, this is Strawberry Peak. Chris and I did the full Strawberry Peak loop and then rode to the top of Mount Wilson and dropped down Sturdevant, a great downhill in the San Gabriels.

This prototype is the 4.5" version of the 6" version we showed last year. We haven't finalized the tubeset for this frame yet, so we can't confirm a weight as of yet, but we are trying to make it as light as possible without compromising strength. After some hard abuse on the trails, our two prototype frames will go to the testing lab for some more brutal testing.

More to come soon...

mtbr member

I thought my HT days were over.....

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I had a S.I.R. 9 on order, but had come to realize that with my bad back that I no longer can ride a HT &/or single speed......so reluctantly I had to cancel my order. Bummed out as I really want to get on a 9er.

I have just started doing some "looking" at what 29" full suspension frames are available. I love what Niner has been doing and I can pretty much bet that your FS will be an excellent choice.

Can't wait to see a final version.

KMan
    Until I installed a Thud-buster. Looks bad works great.

Oh back on topic. There are allot of FS frames coming out this year from quality companies (like Niner). Congrats and I can’t wait to see the “finished” product!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This prototype is the 4.5" version
    Do you expect that people will run either a Reba or WB @ 100mm travel? There aren't many choices to match the travel front and rear right now. How are the handling with the Reba's?