Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    No Air9's? Here is mine in action....

That's an XL? How tall are you? I'm guessing those techy decent's are better with Niner's long top tube.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    That's an XL? How tall are you? I'm guessing those techy decent's are better with Niner's long top tube.
    yup - 6'6" - long top tube is a huge selling point for me....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The day I picked up my WFO. Nice to finally have a bike that actually fits me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your XL Niners-my-new-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good god man - you are a beast - how many parts have you broken so far?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    Good god man - you are a beast - how many parts have you broken so far?
    Well...

Mostly wheels and spokes, but as of last week I had my WFO frame break for the second time. First time was the rear triangle, which Niner warrantied because they said they had gotten a bad casting on that particular batch. Last week I broke the seat tube as seen in the pic I posted in the 29er section of the forum (it's under Rip9 frame thread). I'm pretty bummed. I also don't want to give the impression I am out trashing Niner. I've loved my WFO, and even bought one for my wife who is less than half my size (and she loves hers). I just hope there is a solution for this frame breakage. Going through my LBS for the warranty on this second frame, which I'm confident the Niner crew will work with me on. They have been great in the past (very hands on and helpful when we set the bike up to handle my size), and I'm actually itching to get a Jet or Rip so I have a back-up bike, but since I'm having breakage issues with the WFO I'm not so sure either of those is in the cards for me.

mtbr member

Most recent Jet 9 setup

I took some photos of my race bike today, I'm about to go out for a ride. The way I've set it up has changed, I slammed back the saddle. I installed a -17 degree stem with 120mm length.

This is what I call a "World Cup Fit." To reach the Cat 1 podium on an XL frame requires some compromises that for-fun riders probably won't like. A full-suspension bike allows for a bigger saddle-bar drop that tall racers must have with lessened back soreness. This is probably why the Olympic Champ sticks with his full-suspension 29er.

The long, low stem improves cornering at speed by encouraging leaning and dropping of the shoulders. It improves handling at low speed by putting the bars lower and more balance of weight between the wheels.

The bars are now flat Enves cut to 680mm. I don't have bar caps to keep it as narrow as possible through the trees, every mm counts on the overgrown trails in the Deep South.

I'm really thrilled with my new S-Works 180mm cranks, they are the lightest in that size that you can get, but more importantly, they're very stiff. In order to fit the BB30 spindle into the Jet 9 alloy's threaded English 68mm interface, I used an E.Thirteen XCX bottom bracket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your XL Niners-img_0021_w.jpg  

Let's see your XL Niners-img_0023_w.jpg  

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    The long, low stem improves cornering at speed by encouraging leaning and dropping of the shoulders.
    Bike looks great!!!

Could you explain your cornering technique in terms of leaning and dropping your shoulders?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to sound somewhat technically counter of the accepted cornering technique of centering your weight over the contact patch with weight on the outside foot while counter-steering to really carve turns.

Either way, the JET really keeps the wheels glued to the ground which - when combined with the big wheels - does help one's technique do pretty well out on the course.

BB

mtbr member
    I countersteer, sure. Plenty of work on technique over the summer. A long stem encourages leaning the bike (not the body) instead of turning it. It's a far cry from how downhillers set up their rides but I gave up on that approach. More rowing in switchbacks but is otherwise worth the endo potential. Check out Kulhavy's bike

Fat & Single
    Nice bike Chomxxo !!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by 06DODGECTD View Post
    This is my XL Rip 9
    That is a nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my XL Air 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Reviving this thread! Any XL RIP 9's (the newest iteration) or RIP 9 RDO's out there? I'm a tall dude and XL RDO would be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Let's see your XL Niners-img_1430.jpgLet's see your XL Niners-img_3406.jpgName:  IMG_3792.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  95.8 KB

Work bike....Bar Bike.

Cheers!
    Stay Vertical Out There.....Shut up Legs!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Let's see your XL Niners-img_3462.jpgLet's see your XL Niners-img_3456.jpg

The old man of the fleet!! It's my tree top flier.....

Cheers

mtbr member

Let's see your XL Niners

Sweet! Here we are after finishing the Mohican 100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Damn! I thought I was Big! Well done Brother....The Clyde's of the world demand some press! I will stay out of your way plus I'm old!
    Last edited by Espo61; 06-18-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2