Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6

    lefty on a new jet 9??

    Just got my large jet 9 recently and REALLY want to put a carbon lefty on it.
    My LBS(who is a top notch) is hesitant to order one because the tolerances are just too close to take a chance.Neither of us want to come out of pocket on something that may/may not work.He talked to a cannondale rep who didn't sound very confident that was the way to go considering the lenghth of the new jet 9 head tube..I've read a couple comments on here from people who say they've done it but have yet to see any pictures.Just want to be certain it will/wont work before ordering a fork for it..

    Anyone out there have a newer jet 9 with a lefty fork on it????

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    86

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetraid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by markd33
    Just got my large jet 9 recently and REALLY want to put a carbon lefty on it.
    My LBS(who is a top notch) is hesitant to order one because the tolerances are just too close to take a chance.Neither of us want to come out of pocket on something that may/may not work.He talked to a cannondale rep who didn't sound very confident that was the way to go considering the lenghth of the new jet 9 head tube..I've read a couple comments on here from people who say they've done it but have yet to see any pictures.Just want to be certain it will/wont work before ordering a fork for it..

    Anyone out there have a newer jet 9 with a lefty fork on it????
    I've one new Jet9 Large with Lefty. No problem.
    I'll make a picture and will post it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jetraid
    I've one new Jet9 Large with Lefty. No problem.
    I'll make a picture and will post it.
    great !! which lefty did you use??

  5. #5
    Supersonic Garfield
    Reputation: Trond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    514
    and what is the axle to crown height?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    29

    It does fit - just!

    I sweated on this for a couple of weeks, after I'd committed to both a large Jet 9 and a standard length carbon Lefty SL on Ebay. Anyway, they both arrived and the Lefty with an approx. 137mm clamp will just fit the large Jet 9 with the integrated FSA headset it's supplied with. I bought the "tapered" Project 321 steerer tube, which is not tapered - but does come with it's own 1.5" crown race - this does seem to be a little easier to use and ultimately neater than the crown race that comes with the FSA headset. I haven't ridden the bike yet as I'm waiting on wheels, but I'll post some photos of the frame and fork soon.

  7. #7
    Supersonic Garfield
    Reputation: Trond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    514
    Cool! Can't wait to see it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetraid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48
    Sorry for the delay...
    The Lefty fits perfectly a Large Jet9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lefty on a new jet 9??-p1010706.jpg  

    lefty on a new jet 9??-p1010708.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6
    very nice.have a lefty ordered and cant wait to get my jet rolling.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by tumble_downs
    I sweated on this for a couple of weeks, after I'd committed to both a large Jet 9 and a standard length carbon Lefty SL on Ebay. Anyway, they both arrived and the Lefty with an approx. 137mm clamp will just fit the large Jet 9 with the integrated FSA headset it's supplied with. I bought the "tapered" Project 321 steerer tube, which is not tapered - but does come with it's own 1.5" crown race - this does seem to be a little easier to use and ultimately neater than the crown race that comes with the FSA headset. I haven't ridden the bike yet as I'm waiting on wheels, but I'll post some photos of the frame and fork soon.
    Did you use the FSA top bearing cap? I have a large 2010 Jet with the supplied FSA headset and the stack height is close to 140 with the cap.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    29
    Yep, I used the entire headset as supplied with the new frame, and it does fit. The only issue I've stumbled upon recently is that the lower "crown" of the Lefty can rub against the bottom of the head tube if not adjusted properly - something you don't have to worry about with a conventional non-integrated headset. This can happen mid ride if there's been a little movement. Adjusting it is tricky - loosening it off can result in fork/handlebar movement, but tightening it up too much causes rub. I'm going to try and find a thin shim which can go between the race and steerer to create a little space but still allow the fork to fit the head tube. I hope that all makes some sense!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,326
    I have a Large Jet with a Lefty as well. I used the Project 321 conversion and it just barely fit. Had to modify the factory dustcap very slightly. Would not have worked with the smallest bit of extra headtube height. A shorter dustcap would be helpful but it can be made to work.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    221

    Which Lefty

    So which particular Lefty are you guys using on your Jet 9? I won't have the issue of the size large Jet headtube length and standard Lefty clamp distance that started this thread, as my frame will be a medium. But I am wondering which Lefty's you are using, considering the different travel options and associated axle to crown (AtoC) distances.

    I guess a first specific question would be this - what is the Jet designed for? I know it's HA is 72 degrees with an 80mm fork. But what specific AtoC are they referencing with that? I think the AtoC of a Fox 100mm 29er fork to be right at 500mm. Does it go without saying that the 72 degree HA is therefore based on a 480mm AtoC?

    It looks as though the Lefty options break down like this:
    120mm Ultra spaced to 90mm of travel (AtoC of 490mm)
    140mm Max spaced to 110mm of travel (AtoC of 510mm)

    So just wondering which Lefty route you chose and why. You like the lower AtoC with a little less travel, or did you slack yours out a little with the longer AtoC and more travel? BTW, I'm soon going to be test riding the frame with a 100mm Manitou Minute, which I believe is 510mm, so I'll get an idea of how that handles. But for now just wanted to get an idea which you chose and why.

    Thanks for any input you care to provide.

  14. #14
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    861
    I was wanting to put a Lefty on my RIP 09. Anyone tried that?
    I can't imagine C'dale not making a 29 specific Lefty with 120mm travel shortly.

    If they don't do it, does it suggest it can't be done?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    998
    a lefty max should work

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pumpkinbiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by tumble_downs
    Yep, I used the entire headset as supplied with the new frame, and it does fit. The only issue I've stumbled upon recently is that the lower "crown" of the Lefty can rub against the bottom of the head tube if not adjusted properly - something you don't have to worry about with a conventional non-integrated headset. This can happen mid ride if there's been a little movement. Adjusting it is tricky - loosening it off can result in fork/handlebar movement, but tightening it up too much causes rub. I'm going to try and find a thin shim which can go between the race and steerer to create a little space but still allow the fork to fit the head tube. I hope that all makes some sense!
    Tumble downs,
    Hi this is Jake with Project321. After reading your two posts on this thread I fear that
    you have our adatper improperly installed. Please call me or e-mail me so I can make sure
    you have it in correctly. There should never be any slop, the head tube should never rub
    on the lower crown, and our adapter doesn't include a bearing race but rather a collar that is intended to interact with the stock bearing race that comes with the headset. Our toll free number is 877-584-7321 ask for me. And thanks for your purchase!!
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Smile lefty on a Jet 9

    I have an 80mm carbon lefty on my Cannondale 29er. I want to get a large Jet9 frame and mount the lefty on the frame using a Project321 adapter. I think that the lefty fork would have to be lengthened to 90 or 100mm for proper geometry. Someone posted a pic of a large jet9 with a carbon lefty. What is the bottom bracket height? Which exactly steer tube did you use?

    Another question: Can a 2008 carbon lefty fork be modified and lengthened for 100mm and who can do that?

  18. #18
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,952
    Quote Originally Posted by jcooper@fusd1.org
    I have an 80mm carbon lefty on my Cannondale 29er. I want to get a large Jet9 frame and mount the lefty on the frame using a Project321 adapter. I think that the lefty fork would have to be lengthened to 90 or 100mm for proper geometry. Someone posted a pic of a large jet9 with a carbon lefty. What is the bottom bracket height? Which exactly steer tube did you use?

    Another question: Can a 2008 carbon lefty fork be modified and lengthened for 100mm and who can do that?
    JET BB height is 13 - 13.2"+ depending on what size tires you are running. 13" is with minimal tread 1.9's running 100mm fork on my JET at the moment.


    I don't know about the Lefty in terms of A/C measurement, but the JET works fine with 80mm of travel - especially for XC racing. It's designed to work with 80 - 100mm of travel. The 80mm in the front matches up well with the 80mm of travel in the rear. It rides well with 100mm as well, but if you are worried about your current lefty not working I was just mentioning that 80mm is fine on the JET. If the A/C is lower by much on a Lefty than a typical Reba or Fox - then I would start to worry about losing BB height. What is the A/C of a Lefty? I have no idea.

    BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-13-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •