mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Leaving Niner. One9 replacement recommendations?

Love my old One9s, but like many others: I can't stand the boring, awkwardly stiff, poorly-performing, terribly-overpriced hydroformed updated design, or anything else coming from that company.

I've looked into Vassago & Ventana, Soma & Surly. Considering 650b, Ti frames, and also wanting to stay rigid. Standing out right now: El Comandante SS | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

There are so many options, I just don't know where to start. Would love some heavy-handed opinions. I know you all have them, so let it rip! And thanks in advance!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Re: Leaving Niner. One9 replacement recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by SSUSA View Post
    Love my old One9s, but like many others: I can't stand the boring, awkwardly stiff, poorly-performing, terribly-overpriced hydroformed updated design, or anything else coming from that company.

I've looked into Vassago & Ventana, Soma & Surly. Considering 650b, Ti frames, and also wanting to stay rigid. Standing out right now: El Comandante SS | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

There are so many options, I just don't know where to start. Would love some heavy-handed opinions. I know you all have them, so let it rip! And thanks in advance!
    Did you seriously come on the Niner forum to bash them and ask what other brand to buy?

Wow...

:sly:

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2 for BB10

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Yes. And where else?

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Did you seriously come on the Niner forum to bash them and ask what other brand to buy?

Wow...

:sly:

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10 using Tapatalk 2 for BB10

Not much of a recommendation; I can only assume that you work for Niner? You are in a unique position to help out. Not really excited about the new setup, but it's all i've been riding, so here I am. I've been loyal to this brand, almost exclusively since 2008. Am I allowed to switch brands? Is this a Niner-only forum? Good grief-

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

There are a lot of brands to choose from. So, choose one and PEDAL DAMN IT!

mtbr member

Not much of a recommendation; I can only assume that you work for Niner? You are in a unique position to help out. Not really excited about the new setup, but it's all i've been riding, so here I am. I've been loyal to this brand, almost exclusively since 2008. Am I allowed to switch brands? Is this a Niner-only forum? Good grief-
    Well, actually, this IS the Niner forum.

Not sure what you're expecting for advice when asking a bunch of people who ride Niner? They probably prefer Niner, and might not have an opinion on what bike you should switch to.

I think there are a lot of great bikes out there though, so best of luck!

Carbon & Ti rule
    This part of the Forum kind of is Niner

If you don't like there new bike don't buy it, If you are that worried about it email them.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Re: Leaving Niner. One9 replacement recommendations?

Can't believe you posted this.
    This is the Niner Forum.

I think your question would be better put to the Singlespeed Forum and not trolling for reactions here.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just want to make sure we are on the same page - You bought a One9 (a lightweight scandium race frame) in 2008 and it finally broke? 5 years is pretty good for a frame like that. And now in 2013 you don't want to get a new version of the One9 which is hydroformed and lighter and stiffer where it needs to be and uses the new EBB design which doesn't creak and it is more durable?

The bikes you are looking at are all nice looking but they are all pretty old school in that they are all round tubes and mostly steel. That is totally fine and awesome but why would you come here and announce it to the world? And why wouldn't you want to try out a modern frame before wholesale bashing it? I had the old One9 scandium and while it was awesome and great (at the time) the new One9 is so much better in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Before this goes too far, I may have been a little drowsy this afternoon.. But I swear I saw this post in another forum.. Suppose there is a chance admin moved it for some reason..

Don't know for sure, but I'm remembering that for some reason. Or maybe it was posted twice.

Either way.. Good luck. My advice would be to ride them all, and make a decision based on your own preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I just want to make sure we are on the same page - You bought a One9 (a lightweight scandium race frame) in 2008 and it finally broke? 5 years is pretty good for a frame like that. And now in 2013 you don't want to get a new version of the One9 which is hydroformed and lighter and stiffer where it needs to be and uses the new EBB design which doesn't creak and it is more durable?

The bikes you are looking at are all nice looking but they are all pretty old school in that they are all round tubes and mostly steel. That is totally fine and awesome but why would you come here and announce it to the world? And why wouldn't you want to try out a modern frame before wholesale bashing it? I had the old One9 scandium and while it was awesome and great (at the time) the new One9 is so much better in every way.

Thanks. I actually posted here without realizing it was Niner specific, although I'm not sure the immense butthurt was justified by some. I moved it to another section.

To answer your question: the 2008 is long gone. I have 2 2010s that I still race (and love). Your comments are helpful and hopeful. In my line of work, we occasionally make recommendations for competing products. It's honest business, and really not that big of a deal.
    Thanks-

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Five5: yes, I moved it. Thanks-

mtbr member
    SSUSA: I raced a Scandium One 9 for a few years, loved it and in fact had a second one (gen 1) built up for my wife to ride. When time came to upgrade I made a huge leap and went with a Blacksheep. It is an awesome frameset, used most of the parts from my One 9 onto it.

Asthetically the new hydroformed One9 also leaves me a bit cold, it may be a better frame but it just didnt "wow" me, and putting in a derailleur hanger.... sacrilege

I still have a huge amount of love for the company, they helped me out with a problem when they had no obligation to and went way above and beyond. For that they will always be a company I would recommend.

Now they've released the new One9 RDO and the "purest" in me is really excited by their re-affirmed commitment to a dedicated balls out single speed race bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    SSUSA:
    Now they've released the new One9 RDO and the "purest" in me is really excited by their re-affirmed commitment to a dedicated balls out single speed race bike.
    Werd! If I was looking for a new SS frame it would be between the new One9 RDO or the Pivot Les. Both options look awesome. The only real difference to me is the EBB vs Sliders - to each their own there. Props to Niner for the One9 RDO though!

mtbr member
    I think you should look at the Niner Air9c, it could be excatly what you need to ride. If you get the change to demo one it could solve all you issues.
    The Pivot Les is a good one too and something in Ti would be custom for you.
    Enjoy what you ride nd ride it often.
    Pedal Dammit!