29er zealot

Largest chainring on One9

So, I love the simplicity of a single speed and am waiting on my new frame. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the max size of chainring that can be put up front. Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap rings and chain and throw cross tires on it for some gravel road/fire road sufferfests. Anyone have anything similar? Photos?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

If you put the ring in the outer position on a triple crankset you can go to at least 48 tooth as above on a SIR9 and the One 9 is probably similar.

You could potentially leave a 32 in the middle position for mtb and put a 42 or 44 on the outer position for your cross riding. Just change wheels/tyres and have a second longer chain to swap over. I use the 48 for pavement commuting.

29er zealot
    I like it, are you running the same cog on the road as you do on the mountain, and just swapping rings and chain? I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar, any other photos?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    I like it, are you running the same cog on the road as you do on the mountain, and just swapping rings and chain? I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar, any other photos?
    No, I have the luxury of a near identical kermit green SIR 9 with 32/20 gearing and the same Truvativ SS crankset. I can post a gratuitous picture of it if you like?

The crankset usually has a 32 tooth ring in the "middle" position and a bashguard in the outer position. On my commuter SIR 9 I have replaced the bashguard with the big ring, in this case an FSA downhill single ring 5mm thick.

I have contemplated running say a 32/44 dual chain ring and swapping rear wheel and chains but I have never done it.

One combination you could consider that may not need a chain change is 32/20 for mtb and 36/16 for cross riding. In theory the chain length will be the same for both combinations.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14 View Post
    So, I love the simplicity of a single speed and am waiting on my new frame. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the max size of chainring that can be put up front. Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap rings and chain and throw cross tires on it for some gravel road/fire road sufferfests. Anyone have anything similar? Photos?

A direct quote from NINER's Encyclopedia here's the LINK.

"CAUTION! We highly recommend using a 32 tooth front chainring for SS application.
    A larger chainring could contact the chainstays in certain EBB positions and could cause damage"

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    A direct quote from NINER's Encyclopedia here's the LINK.

"CAUTION! We highly recommend using a 32 tooth front chainring for SS application.
    A larger chainring could contact the chainstays in certain EBB positions and could cause damage"
    This is absolutely true if the chainring is in the normal middle position.

However you did not quote the next sentence on page 47 of the link.

"Most singlespeed setups requires that the front chainring be in the middle position to maximize chainline. You can use a larger chainring if you mount it in the large chainring position on your cranks, however, this may cause chainline issues with some SS setups, specifically thread-on style freewheels."

I am having no noticable chain line issues with a Woodman hub, CK sprocket with a screw on lock ring and a 48 tooth ring in the outer position with clearance to the SIR9 frame.

As both the One 9 and SIR 9 are closely related to the Air 9 and MCR which both are designed to run geared with triple chainrings I don't see any problems with using at least a 44 tooth in the outer position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have an XTR M970 crankset on my one 9 and I'm running a 34 tooth ring in the middle position. Fits just fine and rotates all the way around without issues. It is close though when the BB is closest to the back of the bike.