Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Large may be the ticket at 5"11"

I rode a large Air 9 carbon and it felt great at my 5'11" on the nose. My medium Jet 9 RDO feels great with a 10 stem. Tough call on what size to buy at 5'11"....the Jet 9 RDO felt tankish at first but now I am questioning my decision on getting a medium.

By the way the new Jet 9 RDO and Air 9 looks awesome...great colors. Fuzzy and the Niner guys are chill and informative.

PS I did a lap on a fully rigid SS SIR 9 and it kicked my butt on climbs. Wow! New respect granted to SS riders....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just picked up a Jet 9 carbon in medium, I am 5'11" with a shorter inseam an it fits me well. I could have went large, but the medium felt more natural to me. Good luck.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    My struggle with big Niner's is the feeling of driving a large truck. I followed a guy in a race last weekend who looked like he was riding a bucking bronco on his 29er. I think my Jet 9 RDO is the right size but if I bought a HT Niner I might go large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5"10" with long legs and I had a large Sir9 with a 90mm stem and it felt like a truck. I'm on a medium Jet9 RDO with a 100mm stem and love it. It is the best handling bike I've ever ridden. I run my seat at 30.25" from the center of the BB and it looked ridiculous on the med hard tail with thier 16.5" seat tube but I like the 18" seat tube on the Jet9 RDO a lot. I wish the medium hard tails were an 18".

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm bang on 6 ft & run my seat height at 800mm from centre of my cranks to the top of the seat, Inline with the seatpost.

I like the fit of my Lge Jet9 RDO, I also liked the fit of my Lge Rip9 & Jet9's

My Lge Air9 ( Alloy ) felt a bit big for me.

My 2013 EMD size Med feels great for reach but It is hard to find a seat post for my seat height.

My friend that is 5'11 on the button & rides a Med Rip9, Like the fit for him on my Lge Jet9 RDO a little more than his med Rip9.

So alot comes down to how people like to set up there bike.

Without knowing your full setup, If you think you may have been better on a Lge.

I would try a seatpost with more set back & would go for wider handle bars & then a longer stem if you feel the need after that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    5'11" on a Large Air 9 Carbon - issue for me would be the seatpost length on a medium putting a lot of stress on the frame with the big lever it would create.
    No been on the large very long, running a 90mm stem but just about to try an 80mm.
    Running saddle at 775mm from BB centre.

I'm the same height and ride a medium (One 9). Fit and ride is great. Large felt a little too big. For the riding I do, I like the more nimble feeling of the smaller bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    5'10.5" here with long legs (34" InSeam), been on a Medium Jet 9 Alu, but was a bit cramped without a long stem. Now on a Large Niner A9C SS (I like the extra space for standing on SS) and a Large Jet 9 RDO (with 90mm stem). Perfect fit for me. I think I like to be stretched out more than some, maybe from road background.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 6'1/2'' I'm also one of the weird in between size persons. My inseam is 30in so i have a longer torso. On my 26in bikes back in the day I would size down one size and have a long stem and setback seatpost with the seat all the way back. It worked "ok"

Then 29er came around so my first frame I went with a 20in frame (Large) and I thought that thing was great. Well, now I want a full squish bike and demoed the Jet 9. For whatever reason the medium felt perfect to me, I gained a lot of nimbleness back. So I run 100mm stem on a Jet 9 medium. I like it.