Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36

    Just bought a RIP9

    I know this is truly a useless thread, but I had to share my excitement with like minds.
    I ordered it on Friday and it should be delivered and assembled by Big Kahuna later this week. I'm coming from a Giant Trance2 and so far it's been crazy feeling the difference of the big wheels.

    I went with the Milk Dud color (I know...it's a love it or hate it) and I am amped.
    Sram X7
    Reba 120mm front fork
    and Elixir 5 brakes
    with Stans ztrs

    Big Kahuna has let me keep their large demo Rip for a couple of days to stave off the
    separation anxiety!!!

    /end useless excitement thread...

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Hay we know how you feel & good on you.

    I came from Giant Reign,Trance,Trance X & Anthem ( & I liked them ) but My Rip9 has lifted my riging so much higher than any of those bikes did.

    Just make sure you don't use anything bigger than 42 tooth outer chain ring or you may get lots of chain suck.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MI-29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    482
    Welcome to the Niner family. I bought my milk dud Rip early this year and love it. I agree on the color "love it or hate it". Personally I like it. Its all about being different. And like all others have said in the past about the RIP, it will boost your confidence in riding. Once you get in the saddle and bomb the trails you'll see what we mean..
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

    SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

  4. #4
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    862
    Can't pass up the opportunity to post of picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought a RIP9-img_1090-50%25redux.jpg  

    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    80
    Who hates milk dud??? I think you made an excellent choice. I just got mine a week and a half ago and love it. Don't think I will ever go back to 26" wheels.


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36
    thanx gents....I've had a demo (not milk dud) to tide me over and only after a couple of trail rides....I can say that I agree with you all that the level has been lifted. I'm climbing over stuff that usually causes me to dab and I'm dropping off and rolling right over stuff, that I lacked the comfort/confidence to attempt before. It's like a whole different sport. There's not enough ridable time/energy to do all that I'm gonna want to do with this bike. Will update with my own pics in due time.
    Rip on...

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,800
    It's nothing to do with the bike, it's the wheel size - FACT. I came off a Trance and then went to the early prototype RIP9 and it lifted my game, but now I have a rigid KM I'll go off/over/through stuff I wouldn't on the Trance. Glad you're stoked, just ask Big Kahuna to put you down for the 140mm Reba when it comes out
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    [QUOTE=LyNx]It's nothing to do with the bike, it's the wheel size - FACT.

    Not ture IMO I had the early Jet9 & I rode it faster than my Anthems & trances but the 09 Rip9 changed the whole way I looked at things on the trail'

    I can say this because I have brusies on both my sholders from cliping trees with them on a fast flowing down hill track & the Jet just not quite having the grip of the Rip9

    I didn't crash but I had about 5 huge moments,The Rip9 lets you scrub off more speed in a hurry than the Jet9 ( more grip )
    Last edited by muzzanic; 07-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36
    that's funny...as I nearly clipped a couple trees this morning at Mt. Falcon....Just going way faster than I'm used to....it's as if the bike is inviting you to go faster than you probably should!! (listen to me, I'm already biased)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    915
    I scored a RIP9 frameset not too long ago her on the boards.

    I'm waiting on a MikeC wheelset, and as soon as I get that I'll move everything else over from my Ibis Mojo.

    SO looking forward to it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36
    mine smoking a cigarette after losing its virginity....

  12. #12
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,985
    Without a doubt, this newer hydroformed RIP frame begs for a 140mm fork. I ran a 120mm on mine, while nice, I can easily see how a 140mm would just slack it out just a bit and make it better. The geometry deserves it.

  13. #13
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,800
    Glad you're liking your new ride bblume, enjoy.

    Hola Bruce yeah Randy, pity no one was running 120mm forks on the old ones saying to Niner that the geo needed to be a bit slacker must be hard having to do all the thinking yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Without a doubt, this newer hydroformed RIP frame begs for a 140mm fork. I ran a 120mm on mine, while nice, I can easily see how a 140mm would just slack it out just a bit and make it better. The geometry deserves it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  14. #14
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,985
    Frankly, LyNx, I've found so many of your whiny posts so useless in the Niner section, that I've seriously considered making you the only featured guest on my "Ignore" list. I'm sure I'm not alone.

  15. #15
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,800
    Frankly I'm surprised all you niner fanboys haven't already done that

    Also frankly surprised that Niner doesn't seem to want to listen to their customers, who have repeatly made it clear that the bike begs for slacker geometry, but then again why should a company listen to the people who are going to purchase their product right, they don't have a clue or the fancy software Niner does Niner's feeling the pinch now with the competition already out there, wait till all the new 2011 stuff becomes available from all the other manufacturers, they're sitting on their "we were the first to 29ers and had decent geo" thing and they'll loose because of it.Won't even get on how they're always late with delivery, how you need to take whatever time frame they give you and add a minimum of 4-6 months to that, if you're lcuky.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Frankly, LyNx, I've found so many of your whiny posts so useless in the Niner section, that I've seriously considered making you the only featured guest on my "Ignore" list. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  16. #16
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Frankly, LyNx, I've found so many of your whiny posts so useless in the Niner section, that I've seriously considered making you the only featured guest on my "Ignore" list. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    Considered? My friend, you're way behind. The only way I can see what our pal Lynx has to say is if somebody quotes him.

    JMH

  17. #17
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Frankly I'm surprised all you niner fanboys haven't already done that

    Also frankly surprised that Niner doesn't seem to want to listen to their customers, who have repeatly made it clear that the bike begs for slacker geometry, but then again why should a company listen to the people who are going to purchase their product right, they don't have a clue or the fancy software Niner does Niner's feeling the pinch now with the competition already out there, wait till all the new 2011 stuff becomes available from all the other manufacturers, they're sitting on their "we were the first to 29ers and had decent geo" thing and they'll loose because of it.Won't even get on how they're always late with delivery, how you need to take whatever time frame they give you and add a minimum of 4-6 months to that, if you're lcuky.
    It does suprise me that you who finds it hard to come up with the money to buy a new bike thinks he knows more about what people will pay for than people that have put there money were there mouth is & spent money on thousands of bikes

    People on forums often say that they would buy something if they made it,But when it comes to putting money down things often change.

    I think Niner & other companys have a clear vision of were they are going & don't need to run there companys acording to Lynx.

    Besides as niner has found out from Lynx if you change a new modle to much to soon the people that have the older model get upset.

    I have my money set aside for my new Lynx bike but it will be a while because a guy named lynx said don't buy the first of anything !!!
    Good advise but I like to try new stuff & I just man up & suck it up if it goes wrong I don't turn into a little school girl like you have.

  18. #18
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,800
    Never have said they should run the company according to me, just that if you design a bike to run with "X" fork and most owners put on"y" fork to slack out the geo, don't go and re-design it with the same old geo but now so it's true for "y" fork, consider making that change so many are basicaly asking for.

    I did put my money down, on the 1st gen, you put money down on a 1st gen Jet9, and got a new gen RIP9 for a steal and then new JET9 on top, so you can call me a little school girl all you want, you got of licking. FYI I just like to let people know how it is and the fanboys don't like to hear it, heck I even would throw the old RIP9 out as an option and promoted Niner until the whole JET9 fiasco, that's when I decided that was enough BS. Throw ontop some stories of strong arm bullying I've heard from several shop employees, not to mention my personal experience and they joined specialED for me.

    Oh, keep those $$ safe and sound, 'cause it's coming ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    It does suprise me that you who finds it hard to come up with the money to buy a new bike thinks he knows more about what people will pay for than people that have put there money were there mouth is & spent money on thousands of bikes

    People on forums often say that they would buy something if they made it,But when it comes to putting money down things often change.

    I think Niner & other companys have a clear vision of were they are going & don't need to run there companys acording to Lynx.

    Besides as niner has found out from Lynx if you change a new modle to much to soon the people that have the older model get upset.

    I have my money set aside for my new Lynx bike but it will be a while because a guy named lynx said don't buy the first of anything !!!
    Good advise but I like to try new stuff & I just man up & suck it up if it goes wrong I don't turn into a little school girl like you have.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  19. #19
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Never have said they should run the company according to me, just that if you design a bike to run with "X" fork and most owners put on"y" fork to slack out the geo, don't go and re-design it with the same old geo but now so it's true for "y" fork, consider making that change so many are basicaly asking for.

    I did put my money down, on the 1st gen, you put money down on a 1st gen Jet9, and got a new gen RIP9 for a steal and then new JET9 on top, so you can call me a little school girl all you want, you got of licking. FYI I just like to let people know how it is and the fanboys don't like to hear it, heck I even would throw the old RIP9 out as an option and promoted Niner until the whole JET9 fiasco, that's when I decided that was enough BS. Throw ontop some stories of strong arm bullying I've heard from several shop employees, not to mention my personal experience and they joined specialED for me.

    Oh, keep those $$ safe and sound, 'cause it's coming ;-)
    I know I sounld like a fan boy & yes I have done well with niner but thats not it at all.

    The big thing for me is that I have built lots of fast long distance race cars (for dual drivers ) & man is it hard to build 1 car for 2 very fast drivers & to get it to work super well for both of them,You spend so much time changing things away from what you beleave to be right just to get it the best you can for both & you just have to live with it.

    So that said how hard must it be to build a bike that suits all 1000 owners ?

    Easy answer is it can't be done !!! You just build what you beleave is right & people will either buy it or they won't, There is how ever ways of making a bike suit you better by fitting a longer/ shorter fork.

    I think it is sad that frames cant be built in a weight range eg so someone your weight/height doesn't have to ride the same weight ( lets say V2 Rip ) as someone your height & 140 lb heaver,but thats just how it is & we all have to live with it.

    That said I think that frames are now so far ahead of forks that forks are holding up all bike frame makers from doing what they realy what.

    Why can't I have a carbon Rip9 with a Tapered steerer Fox fork 20mm T/A, 34mm legs with handle bar remote height adjuster with 80/100/120/150 & the fork would have auto lock out when in 80 & 100mm

    Something is right for you or it isn't its that simple !!!

    I drive a Honda Odyssey its slow it looks like $hit,has no power & handles bad & is a pain to park, BUT my bikes fit inside it standing up so I can go to a cafe on the way back from a ride with out having to worry about some little $hit stealing my bike & If I want something faster that handles better I could always go to the shed & get my wifes BMW

    I don't write to honda & tell them how wrong they have it,nor do I try & talk other people out of them.

    If something is right for you buy it if not don't.

    Like my cousin said with his sprint car,You buy something for it that will change the sport It costs a arm & leg you are the only one to get 1 & every 1 will need to follow !! 4 weeks later when you want to sell it, every body has one,they are no good they never worked & are not worth bugger all if you could find a buyer.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    RIP rocks

    Really buy a RIP for best alum metal or tallboy for carbon trail/xc, RIP rocks but thats me.Ride and quit *****ing or start your bike company.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Rip rocks

    Sorry my lasrt post was directed at lynx> But I am mad at my self for for responding to his nonsense.

  22. #22
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfire
    Sorry my lasrt post was directed at lynx> But I am mad at my self for for responding to his nonsense.
    Lynx is Ok just bloody mad thats all.

  23. #23
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,800
    Huh

    You and those bloody car analogies, I'll put money you did work on some of the damn crazies cars from down here Anyway, I'm just patiently awaiting the prototype for my 1st bike, I'll let you know how that goes Oh and although the forks are somewhat lacking in stanchions tubing diamter, the 140mm Reba is just available Money says you have one on your RIP9 before months end
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    Lynx is Ok just bloody mad thats all.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  24. #24
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Huh

    Oh and although the forks are somewhat lacking in stanchions tubing diamter, the 140mm Reba is just available Money says you have one on your RIP9 before months end
    I was hoping to have 1 by the end of the week But it won't be on the bike at months end because in the 11th of next month I have a 12 MTB relay race in Taupo

    All that said I'm loving the Reba XX on my Jet9 & the lock out is just awesome & it does just feel wrong buying a fork without the same.

    The hardest thing im having to work out at the moment its I want some I9 wheels & trying to work out if I should put Flow,Arch or creat rims on them but its feeling more like flows at the moment they have always been my goto wheel so far.

  25. #25
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    The hardest thing im having to work out at the moment its I want some I9 wheels & trying to work out if I should put Flow,Arch or creat rims on them but its feeling more like flows at the moment they have always been my goto wheel so far.
    i bought flows for my rip with hope pro2 hubs based on recommendations from mtbr, and i think they are great wheels so far. still true, and i've been running lower and lower pressures on them each ride...around 28lbs and i weight 200# and i'm riding pretty rocky technical terrain...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •