bike rider

Jumping my 14lb A9C

I get a lot of grief from people I don't know saying that I'm going to break my 14.02lb. Air 9 Carbon the first time I ride it but after almost a month and 15 or so 20 mile rides I'm happy to say that she is still alive and kicking. I don't ride angry but I ride pretty damn hard (but smooth) and I think that makes all the difference. I've got some ideas to get her into the high 12lb range so stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumping my 14lb A9C-img_0644.jpg  

Jumping my 14lb A9C-img_0651.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Sweet,
    Looks like a dirt jumper with that sprocket.

mtbr member
    12lb range

[joke] and those "air shots"...obviously p-shop.. [/joke]

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sweet wings.....nice(I have 3 sets).

mtbr member
    damn what you got helium in those tires?1?!

bike rider
    Me Too! One on here, one on my Ti SS and one on my SlingShot SS. My wife inherited the Ti SS. Where have you been riding JB? We get out to Austin like every other weekend. How are the cars running? I got mine out for the first time since June today, NICE drop top weather.

WNC Native
    Nice air shot!! Good to see your doing what it was designed for, riding the dern thing.

Just out of curiousity, if you don't mind me asking what is your rider weight?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

bike rider
    When I ordered the frame on January 2nd I weighed 205lbs but I knew that the Stans 29er Race wheels had a limit of 170lbs so I stopped drinking Cokes and now I weigh 174lbs with gear on. Not being able to ride my $8000 bike was motivation to lose weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    wow..dropping 30lbs. I bet that has more impact on your riding than having a 14lb bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mattkock
    When I ordered the frame on January 2nd I weighed 205lbs but I knew that the Stans 29er Race wheels had a limit of 170lbs so I stopped drinking Cokes and now I weigh 174lbs with gear on. Not being able to ride my $8000 bike was motivation to lose weight.

bike rider
    Absolutely!!!! I've been riding a 14.5lb Ti 26er SS for over a year and a half but it didn't have a weight limit so off came my extra 30lbs. I Love my A9C, it freaking Rocks and it's my favorite bike so far and I've had some pretty sick bikes in the last 18 years of mountain biking.

bike rider
    Another one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumping my 14lb A9C-img_0663.jpg  

WNC Native
    Another one.
    Sweet
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Way to show the skeptics.

Im so sold on the A9C......Amazing...
    I wanted to go rigid on my GF Rig w/ the niner fork.....but why not go all the way and get the tapered fork upgrade and the frame
    no reason to buy the same fork twice.

bike rider

I made the NINER news letter!!!

I'm sure all of you getb the NINER news letter but I was Stoked to get it and me and my bike were in it. Pretty Cool if I do say so myself. I am LOVING this bike. It's my favorite bike (so far) and the first of many, many Niners!!!!!

bike rider

GoPro!!!

Well more than a few of my friends got GoPros for Christmas so I should get some riding and jumping vids on here in the near future. I'm still stoked on riding this bike, It Kicks ASS!!!!!

Dirty South Underdog
    I <3 your posts!

(Also, the snarky comments make me think of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8aiI-NIIA)
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Lone Wolf McQuade
    hmmmm, where could you shave those pesky .02oz on that bike

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    hmmmm, where could you shave those pesky .02oz on that bike

Matt
    Well there is a lot of unnecessary seatpost there for a SS jump bike.

Also an unnecessary front brake.

Awesome bike, great photos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You have a sweet bike, but I bet those wheels are screaming in pain.

bike rider
    ozynigma, I've changed a few things and now it's 13.91lbs but I'm planning on putting her on a diet when I go in for knee surgery and getting her into the 12s. If I can't ride it (knee surgery) I may as well work on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    what trail were those first pics taken on? looks like cypresswood perhaps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are those trails paved? Looks pretty flat there.

bike rider
    erichwic, you're going to say that it looks flat from two or three fairly closeup still photographs in dense woods? I'm not disagreeing with you I just thought the assumption was strange. And bobdole, the first two were at Cypresswood but the third was at Walnut Creek in Austin. Broseph, I thought the wheels would have given up the good fight a while back but they are holding up great considering how much I jump on them. Once it dries up here I'll get some videos of me with 4 feet of air under these superlight wheels. Crazy! I'm totally impressed, these are my first Stans wheels but they won't be my last.

Always Learning
    erichwic, you're going to say that it looks flat from two or three fairly closeup still photographs in dense woods? I'm not disagreeing with you I just thought the assumption was strange. And bobdole, the first two were at Cypresswood but the third was at Walnut Creek in Austin. Broseph, I thought the wheels would have given up the good fight a while back but they are holding up great considering how much I jump on them. Once it dries up here I'll get some videos of me with 4 feet of air under these superlight wheels. Crazy! I'm totally impressed, these are my first Stans wheels but they won't be my last.
    Are you still running the Furious Freds? Tubeless? Curious, because I'm trying out some tires that are somewhat similar and running them tubeless and wondered about longevity of the Freds for comparisons sake to the tires I'm using.

TIA.

BB

bike rider
    BruceBrown, I switched tires to some Specialized Renegades, running them tubeless and they are awesome. Mine weighed 499g and 500g so still fairly light and the knobbies (small as they are) are great. I highly recommend these to anyone riding hardpack trails like we have here in southern Texas. People always ask me about tires and I always say that it depends in where you ride. I can get away with Freds here but I wouldn't ride them in real dirt.