Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jet9 RDO woe

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    How do you have setup the shiftercables in the badge btw?

Do you have them crossed or not?

Let me explain what i mean. If you sit on the bike does your rearshifter cable go in the hole in badge on the left or the richt.

I am asking this because if you cross the cables they also cross internally in the frame. Does this effect shifting or not?

I have installed them non-crossed.
    My 1 is crossed & my wifes 1 isn't & they both shift fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Muzzanic the RDO wikipedia

COMBO - President
    Crossed at the head badge

COMBO - President
    The new maiden voyage on the trail with the RDO went fine. The shifting difference is night and day. Use the Niner shift upgrade kit.

Thanks all for your responses!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thats funny stuff: The Upgrade Kit upgrades your new bike from not working to working. We recommend it!
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My jet rdo works great as it is but ill more than happily get a free upgrade to make it better!

COTA member
    I am going to leave mine "AS IS" with the rear der shifter cable housing in the chain stay. Not having any issues at all (SRAM X0) and it will make it easier when the time comes to replace the the shifter cable to feed in the new one through the existing housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I remember reading somewhere there is a video that shows the technique to feed cables into badge to derailleurs. Anyone?
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

COTA member
    Jet 9 RDO Cable Installation - YouTube

Although this one shows cable housing the complete length of the chain stay.

COTA member
    Updated RDO cable install video ..

Niner Tech: Jet 9 RDO Cable Installation - YouTube

COMBO - President
    My RDO update - Took a trip south for 4 days of mountain biking. Had no issues with the shifting since the new shift upgrade kit was installed, loving the new Jet9 RDO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had to replace rear cable due to fraying when routing through chain stay. Now I am having a hard time routing down main tube out bottom bracket. Anyone have good tips?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by duffin View Post
    I had to replace rear cable due to fraying when routing through chain stay. Now I am having a hard time routing down main tube out bottom bracket. Anyone have good tips?
    It is easyer to push the thin cable liner that came with the frame up from the bottom to the top, then thread the inner cable through that then remove the liner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It is easyer to push the thin cable liner that came with the frame up from the bottom to the top, then thread the inner cable through that then remove the liner.
    Liner is gone, but maybe I will try housing.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by duffin View Post
    Liner is gone, but maybe I will try housing.
    Good call. I use an old scrap of housing, approx 2-3 feet long, for all cable-replacement duties. Speeds things up dramatically.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cable and housing replacement went super smooth using cable housing as a feeder since liners long gone.

I also learned that 100mm is the correct length to run the short housing from BB to chain stay on a Medium shift kit which is shorter than Niner recommendation. Any longer, the housing binds with travel.

29ers Only.
    I would not recommend cutting the cable housing any shorter than 110mm. This measurement is very specific and rear shifting will be affected negatively by a piece of housing cut shorter than this. This kit was designed to take the guess work out of the length of housing running under the bottom bracket and to prevent the possibility of ghost shifting when the suspension compresses.

Brad

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    I would not recommend cutting the cable housing any shorter than 110mm. This measurement is very specific and rear shifting will be affected negatively by a piece of housing cut shorter than this. This kit was designed to take the guess work out of the length of housing running under the bottom bracket and to prevent the possibility of ghost shifting when the suspension compresses.

Brad
    I don't see how.

When I installed the 110mm length, the cable was very twisted into curved bends and got worse when the rear triangle traveled on its arc. Looked smooshed (technical term) like a figure S.

The 100mm length is truer run into the chain stay from BB and works well with the rear triangle arc without a figure S.

I put a ferrule on the BB end and your Niner angled ferrule on the chain stay end which may be affecting length.

I have the older M frame.
    Last edited by duffin; 04-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Changing a group becauseits not shifting correct? That's is a mechanic issue. I run xtr on my ni.er jet and my Tallboy and it shifts perfect, get someone else to wrench for you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8crash View Post
    Changing a group becauseits not shifting correct? That's is a mechanic issue. I run xtr on my ni.er jet and my Tallboy and it shifts perfect, get someone else to wrench for you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Niner sent him a "shift upgrade kit", and it fixed his problem.

lamer
    Ninerds -

We at Niner appreciate your feedback and input when it comes to our bikes - it is based on this feedback that we have created a Shift Kit for the Jet 9 RDO. This kit is designed to make your bike set up easier by eliminating the need to determine rear triangle housing length.

This kit includes a 110mm piece of 4mm shift housing and two ferrules that are designed specifically to fit into the chainstay. You will then have bare cable inside the chainstay.

These kits are ready to send out to anyone that currently owns a Jet9 RDO - shipped on request to your dealer, at no charge. If you do not have a dealer nearby (or distributor if you are not in the USA & Canada), send a self addressed stamped envelope to:

NINER BIKES
    ATTN: Jet9RDO Shift Kit
    1611 S College Ave Unit 202
    Ft. Collins, CO 80525

We recommend that everyone with a Jet9 RDO uses this kit, it makes set-up and tuning precise and trouble free.

Thank you for oyur support.

Thanks,
    Ralph

My RDO frame came with 8 ferrules in a bag. Can I just use 2 of them and my own 110mm piece of Jagwire Ripcord cable housing instead? That's essential the same thing, correct? In fact, does that say "Jagwire" in the image? The resolution's too low to tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes - also consider a durable housing ferrule where cable comes out of bottom bracket.

mtbr member

Brad
    Well I don't know who is researching this optimal length for the cable between frame and triangle, but I don't think that it is quite figured out yet.....

I got the "shift kit" provided by Niner and installed it as part of a rebuild. The 110mm (didn't measure it) segment of housing looked to be about 10mm shorter (didn't measure this difference either) than the previously exposed section of full CS length cable it was replacing. The result is ghost shift downshift and back attempt near the end of the suspension travel, and is worst when say pedaling through a g-out roller. This suspension cycling shifting action can be replicated on the stand with the shock removed too
    And while I sorta like the idea of the short segment vs full CS length housing, on my bike it appears that a longer segment is needed. Replacing it tonight with a longer peice- not a task in itself
    FWIW YMMV RDO'ers

mtbr member
    As a quick follow-up to my mini-rant from this morning.
    I changed out the 110mm piece of Shimano housing that came with the grommets from Niner as the "kit" with 120mm of Jagwire that I had originally built with full length.
    Two observations: 1) the Shimano housing is MUCH more rigid/less pliable than the Jag and even though longer it was much easier to install- the short Shimano was a struggle, Jag a breeze despite being longer and 2) after putting in 120mm of Jag and cycling the rear through it's travel the housing appears much more still and not moving nearly as much as before especially near full stroke. Driveway test ride shifting was flawless....trails tomorrow , but I have no reason to expect a problem

So, while 110 may be recommended, in my experience 120 looks to work better, and maybe more importantly using a good grade housing is required.

lamer
    ^ I'll be completing my RDO build by doing the cabling today. Did you have much trouble getting the Jagwire housing into the special Niner ferrules? Mine seems almost too large of a diameter to fit into the ferrule. Not only is Shimano housing more rigid/less pliable, but it seems to be smaller in diameter, too.

Also, when routing the external housing from the shifters during the initial install did you cross the cables across the head badge like Niner recommends? If so, were the plastic guide tubes already crossed as well? My guide tubes are not, and I can't figure out why Niner would tell us to do this and then install the guide tubes the wrong way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast