mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

I'm curious what other people think is a better upgrade choice for my Jet9 RDO. I'm considering a pair of cheap Chinese carbon rims and have them laced to my White Industries hubs or a dropped post.

I've never ridden with a dropper post, but I'm starting to think it would make an excellent addition to the bike. My seatpost is at the optimal height for pedaling efficiency, but when the trails turn down and it gets steep and technical I have the feeling that I have too much weight forward and it's tough to get behind my seat. I'm thinking of putting in an order for the new Thomson dropper.

Carbon rims are always a winner when it comes to upgrades. I've been looking at the Light Bicycle Chinese carbon rims that are getting rave reviews in the 29er forum. I have a hard time justifying dropping thousands on high-end carbon wheels when I know the kind of punishment I'm going to dish out to them. If I bust them I can always have my Stan's laced back up. The LB rims will fit the budget and still add stiffness and reduce the rotating weight of my wheels.

Both upgrade options are going to run about the same when it come to price. One will add more weight, the other will take away weight. One upgrade will make descending better, the other will help with climbing...

In time I will probably end up with both, but for now I need to choose one. I would like to hear opinions from people who have carbon wheels, or dropper posts on their Jet9 RDO's and what their thoughts are on each.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

I upgraded my wheels first, there is no doubt that this really elevates the bike.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psc4890d9e.jpg

For me, it would have stopped there if I were an avid XC guy, but I like to do a lot of other riding as well, which includes some drops, and terrain.. I just put a dropper on, and boy, does it change life on the downs!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps8cbef3d5.jpg

I'd say though, the wheels probably would be my first upgrade, but I'd save quickly for the dropper!

Carbon & Ti rule
    It's a hard one.

Wheel will help all the time were as the dropper will only help on the steep downs.

I don't always run my carbon wheels, But I do always run my dropper post.

So it depends where & what you ride.

What ever you buy, as five5 said, save for the other fast.

Wheels will make you a little faster almost everywhere.

Dropper post make you a lot faster on the downs

If you like to push your self hard on the downs, Go for the dropper post.

Wheels won't stop you going over the bars but a dropper post can.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

Can't disagree with that either.. I think it comes down to.. It probably doesn't matter. Flip a coin, but start saving yesterday for both!

mtbr member

Re: Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

Do you usually ride with other people? If so, when do you get pushed by them towards your limits more? - on the uphill or downhill?
    If you already waiting for them on the climbs but feel like you are going to kill yourself descending, get the dropper post first. If the opposite is true, get the wheels first.
    In truth, I noticed how much better the cheap Chinese carbon wheels handled than the new Stans ArchEX wheels in the rough and the descents - they track truer and don't ever feel flexy...and I'm only 160lbs. So you will enjoy them everywhere, not just as a weight reduction.
    That said, now that I have it, I move my dropper post up and down MANY times on each ride and can't imagine going back.

Another way to look at it is that the dropper post gives you something extra and new, whereas the wheels are an incremental upgrade. What is your current wheelset? As long as it is not total crap and definitely holding you back, I'd go for the dropper first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Can't disagree with that either.. I think it comes down to.. It probably doesn't matter. Flip a coin, but start saving yesterday for both!
    Yep it is a flip a coin

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

I have Stan's Arch Ex runs laced up to White Industry hubs now. They're pretty good. I just out in an order for a Thomson dropper. Hope to have it by the end of the month.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

Nice! Sounds like you have a solid set of wheels to get you through.. Nice upgrade!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wheels for sure... I've run carbon wheels full time for the past two years with no problems. Best upgrade / change by far.

Dirty South Underdog
    Get the I9 Trail 24 wheels and the dropper post.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I just got the dropper post. Thomson was on back order for a while. I was playing with the cable routing for the bar switch. I am wondering what other people have done with cable routing on the Jet9 RDO with dropper posts. I'm struggling to get a clean look and I'm thinking of just going with the under seat lever once they are available.

Post pics if you can.

mtbr member

Re: Jet9 RDO Upgrade Choices

Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    I just got the dropper post. Thomson was on back order for a while. I was playing with the cable routing for the bar switch. I am wondering what other people have done with cable routing on the Jet9 RDO with dropper posts. I'm struggling to get a clean look and I'm thinking of just going with the under seat lever once they are available.

Post pics if you can.
    Personally, I think if you are going to spend the money to get a dropper post, don't even think twice about giving up the bar switch for a seat lever! You won't notice the cable routing while riding but will use and benefit from the post MUCH more with the bar switch. I adjust the post height quite frequently depending on the variability of the terrain, but would barely ever use it if I had to reach down to work the seat lever.
    I'm sure you'll find an acceptable routing - don't give up on it!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I will hunt a pic out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Personally, I think if you are going to spend the money to get a dropper post, don't even think twice about giving up the bar switch for a seat lever! You won't notice the cable routing while riding but will use and benefit from the post MUCH more with the bar switch. I adjust the post height quite frequently depending on the variability of the terrain, but would barely ever use it if I had to reach down to work the seat lever.
    I'm sure you'll find an acceptable routing - don't give up on it!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Turner Czar

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I will hunt a pic out for you.
    Hey Muzz, where is the pic? I want to see what you did...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Turner Czar
    What the...

mtbr member
    Jaybo is just a hater, ignore him...

I got the routing setup in a way I think I like. I'm still considering the under seat handle so I can swap between a dropper setup and a fixed post setup. The handle for the Thomson dropper is not going to be available until the end of August so I may just get used to having the dropper by then and abandon the idea if I like the setup.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The dropper is fun and one thing I like is the convenience of a quick click to drop the seat when I am just starting out or goofing around/practicing at the house. I also have the Chinese carbon wheels and they have been great, strong, stiff, good fit most tires etc., though I wouldn't necessarily say faster than a decent aluminum. It's good to have an extra set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Decided to do some upgrades on my Jet 9 RDO. Added a Thompson Elite dropper a few weeks back and this week my new wheels arrive. I'm replacing my DT Swiss M1800 with DT350 hubs with a set of carbon Enve AM's with DT 240 hubs.