mtbr member

Jet9 RDO with Shimano Hollowtech crankset

Hi everyone.
    Sorry if this has been discussed here before but I havent been able to find an answer to my specific application.

I had ordered a Praxis Works bottom bracket to be able to use my SLX crankset with a JET9 RDO, but had to cancel the order after reading somewhere it would not work due to the internal cable routing through the BB shell.

Could somebody tell me if the adapter on the link below along with my Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket will allow me to use my SLX crankset on a Jet9 RDO? If so, would I need anything else to make it work?
    Thanks.

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/check...t_number=22933

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Sorry if this has been discussed here before but I havent been able to find an answer to my specific application.

I had ordered a Praxis Works bottom bracket to be able to use my SLX crankset with a JET9 RDO, but had to cancel the order after reading somewhere it would not work due to the internal cable routing through the BB shell.

Could somebody tell me if the adapter on the link below along with my Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket will allow me to use my SLX crankset on a Jet9 RDO? If so, would I need anything else to make it work?
    Thanks.

The internal routing of the Jet 9 RDO doesn't route through the BB. Mine is routed at the bottom of the BB which is where the cable chuck is. My BB shell is just solid carbon, I have the Praxis Works PF30 Conversion BB as recommended by both my LBS's.

FWIW though I have yet to build the bike (as i'm still collecting parts), but by looking at the shell it shouldn't be a problem to use a Praxis Works BB.

The only Niner frame I'm aware that routes internally through the BB are the Air 9 Carbon models.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi everyone.

Thanks.

Yes that is the same part that I have used on 1 of my Jet9 RDO's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewsta View Post
    The internal routing of the Jet 9 RDO doesn't route through the BB. Mine is routed at the bottom of the BB which is where the cable chuck is. My BB shell is just solid carbon, I have the Praxis Works PF30 Conversion BB as recommended by both my LBS's.

FWIW though I have yet to build the bike (as i'm still collecting parts), but by looking at the shell it shouldn't be a problem to use a Praxis Works BB.

The only Niner frame I'm aware that routes internally through the BB are the Air 9 Carbon models.
    Funny, I spoke to Praxis today and even they said it wouldnt work because of the screw inside the shell. They said they have seen people make it work by filing down the screw head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes that is the same part that I have used on 1 of my Jet9 RDO's
    Hi Muzzanic. After seeing how much you know about this bike I was actually hoping to get your input on this. Have you had any sort of issues with this adapter? Creaks, noises anything? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    odd.
    I guess there is only one way for me to find out. Better do so before Christmas

mtbr member
    You are right chewsta. I didnt explain myself correctly. Its not the cables the issue as they dont go through the bottom bracket. Its that little screw thing inside the shell. I had ordered the Praxis. Then later on read somewhere it wouldnt work because the the little nut inside the shell, where the screw goes, intereferes with the Praxis BB.
    So I called Praxis up and they told me they have been in talks with Niner to work something out for future models. In the meantime, they have the Jet9 RDO listed under the "compatibility issues" category.

They did say they have seen many people grind the thing down so the BB will have clearence. But I dont feel it wouldnt be the best move and take the risk of loosing my warranty on the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I used these on my Jet9!RDO.

Wheels Manufacturing BB30-SHIM

I used a SRAM BB30PF BB and then the Wheels Manufacting adapters with an XT crank set which has the same spindle as your SLX. It's is a simple install and you don't need any other spacers or washers on the crank spindle. It just slides right into the adapters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hmmm... I'm interested in hearing about any Praxis installs. I have one in a box at home awaiting the arrival of some XTR cranks. I have a friend who just built two RDOs using the Praxis BB and as far as I know it was no problem. I'll talk to him and report back.

Regarding the plastic SRAM part linked to above -- it works fine. I have used it for a season with SRAM XX cranks and a Chris King GXP BB on my Jet 9 RDO. I had intended to use it with my incoming Shimano cranks when I discovered the Praxis product. The SRAM one, while it worked fine without noise or anything, is kind of cheap. I had to knock it out once and actually cracked half of it. The Praxis product just seemed much better made and well priced.

Hopefully it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I used these on my Jet9!RDO.

Wheels Manufacturing BB30-SHIM

I used a SRAM BB30PF BB and then the Wheels Manufacting adapters with an XT crank set which has the same spindle as your SLX. It's is a simple install and you don't need any other spacers or washers on the crank spindle. It just slides right into the adapters.

Do you have any problems with creaking noise from the BB? Those little noises drive me insane and I'm trying to go with whatever is quieter and durable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do you have any problems with creaking noise from the BB? Those little noises drive me insane and I'm trying to go with whatever is quieter and durable.
    My PF30 to BSA SRAM adaptor got really loud about half way through last season. I knocked it out (and actually damaged it...) then cleaned and tightened the BB cups a little more and all was good. No sound for months. I think the BB cups were just loose. I was a little reluctant to tighten them too much initially. No real problems with this thing except that I found removal kind of annoying because my headset cup remover would not fit in the BB shell. The Praxis one just seems a whole lot more serviceable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry. Double Post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not yet. I only have about 400 miles on it though. I hate noises. The only noise I get is from my dry chain. It has been really dusty here in Arizona. The Jet9 RDO is very quiet bike and all I can here is the chain going thru the rear derailuer,cog and torquing around the front chain ring.

I had a Niner Sir9 and hated taking the EBB out every couple months to clean and lube to stop it from creaking. So hopefully the PF BB adapters stay quiet.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi Muzzanic. After seeing how much you know about this bike I was actually hoping to get your input on this. Have you had any sort of issues with this adapter? Creaks, noises anything? Thanks again.
    No it has been very good, I run Sram GXP creanks so if I'm not running BB30 cranks that is the way I go.

I have a friend also that knows lots about the niner stuff & when fitting Shimano cranks he uses this Raceface BB

Race Face 2012

He likes them more than the sram adaptor & I trust what he says.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Hmmm... I'm interested in hearing about any Praxis installs. I have one in a box at home awaiting the arrival of some XTR cranks. I have a friend who just built two RDOs using the Praxis BB and as far as I know it was no problem. I'll talk to him and report back.

Regarding the plastic SRAM part linked to above -- it works fine. I have used it for a season with SRAM XX cranks and a Chris King GXP BB on my Jet 9 RDO. I had intended to use it with my incoming Shimano cranks when I discovered the Praxis product. The SRAM one, while it worked fine without noise or anything, is kind of cheap. I had to knock it out once and actually cracked half of it. The Praxis product just seemed much better made and well priced.

Hopefully it works.
    I'd be interested to see what your friend says. I tried installing mine last night and as danvar describes, the other side of the cable chuck inside the BB shell interferes with the Praxis BB with the sleeve on. Having the sleeve off it goes in fine, but that is incorrect. It's fairly tight and sits very flush in there and I don't see a way of installing it without filing it down flush to the frame itself.

i'm going back to the LBS later today (i'm in Oz and its Friday morning now) for ways around this and/or other BB solutions. Ideally this is the cleanest solution as the adapter is also the BB. My 2nd option is use the sram PF30 to BSA, otherwise i'll go down the route of getting PF30 bearings and adapters on those like the ones from wheels mfg. My LBS probably didn't realize this problem as I am possibly the only one in the town trying to run an RDO with a shimano crank (the other RDO owner I know of is running a SRAM X0 crankset, most likely the BB30 version)
    Hopefully I can build and ride during Christmas

Just as a reference this is what interferes with the Praxis BB, at least on my RDO frame
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33233378/20121213_192640.jpg
    Last edited by chewsta; 12-13-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: edit

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My friend must not have used the sleeve. I can't see how it could work with it (after seeing your pic...)

Nuts. Looks like I just wasted some money on the Praxis unit. Race Face here I come...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry double post

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    nuts. Was hoping your friend had a solution.
    Race face looks like the next option, but i am not liking my chances of finding one where I am with a shop that will actually have one in stock.

had a quick search and the PF30BB x type adapter are hard to come by.
    No worries finding the BB30 x type adapter though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewsta View Post
    I'd be interested to see what your friend says. I tried installing mine last night and as danvar describes, the other side of the cable chuck inside the BB shell interferes with the Praxis BB with the sleeve on. Having the sleeve off it goes in fine, but that is incorrect. It's fairly tight and sits very flush in there and I don't see a way of installing it without filing it down flush to the frame itself.

i'm going back to the LBS later today (i'm in Oz and its Friday morning now) for ways around this and/or other BB solutions. Ideally this is the cleanest solution as the adapter is also the BB. My 2nd option is use the sram PF30 to BSA, otherwise i'll go down the route of getting PF30 bearings and adapters on those like the ones from wheels mfg. My LBS probably didn't realize this problem as I am possibly the only one in the town trying to run an RDO with a shimano crank (the other RDO owner I know of is running a SRAM X0 crankset, most likely the BB30 version)
    Hopefully I can build and ride during Christmas

Just as a reference this is what interferes with the Praxis BB, at least on my RDO frame
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33233378/20121213_192640.jpg

Chewsta, I was checking out the Raceface bottom bracket Muzzanic posted and I think this will be the best option. I already bought the adapters pf30 to bsa adapter so Im gonna try out. but if I have any problems with it I am going for the raceface bb. Seems like its the same design as the Praxis but with more clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Chewsta, I was checking out the Raceface bottom bracket Muzzanic posted and I think this will be the best option. I already bought the adapters pf30 to bsa adapter so Im gonna try out. but if I have any problems with it I am going for the raceface bb. Seems like its the same design as the Praxis but with more clearance.
    Cool, yea i checked those out as well. The RaceFace BB is a more elegant solution due to the fact its an adapter with BB bearings.
    I will also probably be going down the pf30 to bsa adapter route. Or what ever solution that will allow me to ride during Christmas and not have to wait for delivery of parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Actually just talked to him and he said he did use the sleeve and that it pressed in without a problem using a headset press. He's a very competent mechanic so I can't imagine he ham-fisted the the thing. It went in smoothly.

I'll give mine a go when my crankset arrives.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I wonder if the BB30 crank is much lighter and stiffer? In the rain I hear they moan like an old dog getting up...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been using a SRAM PF30-BSA adapter for a year and it has remained quiet. I greased the cups and used a parks headset press to install it...if that matters.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I have been using a SRAM PF30-BSA adapter for a year and it has remained quiet. I greased the cups and used a parks headset press to install it...if that matters.
    Yes I have helped people put them together & if it is done right They are quiet even after a year.