mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Shifting

I have this issue with my J9RDO where I have trouble shifting into the second or third biggest gear on the back. I always have to give the lever a second push in for it to jump to the bigger cog. I have the shifter update kit installed and have no ghost shifting issues, just this one gear.

I can't replicate it on the repair stand so I think it has something to do with the sag in the suspension. I'm running a 38t x 11/36t (10spd), both crank and cassette are XT, Shimano Zee rear-d with tension off, e*thirteen guide and a KMC chain. I do have a XT chain in box still and thought about swapping it for Dyna-sys capability.

I've turned the knob on the shifter in various ways and it seems to just mess up every other gear but not fix the shift to the bigger cog. I do get some chain rub on the guide somewhere around this gear combo too.

Any tips?

Carbon & Ti rule
    !st up get the hanger checked to see if it is straight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How much mileage on the cassette?

I have a couple of road cassettes with many, many miles on them that do this as well. The elaborate system of ramps that move the chain up the cogs eventually wears out.

Typically, I find that mountain bike cassettes will see the chain slipping on the actual teeth when they wear out, but you never know. Put on a different cassette, don't adjust anything, and see if it still gives you trouble.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Shifting

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    How much mileage on the cassette?

I have a couple of road cassettes with many, many miles on them that do this as well. The elaborate system of ramps that move the chain up the cogs eventually wears out.

Typically, I find that mountain bike cassettes will see the chain slipping on the actual teeth when they wear out, but you never know. Put on a different cassette, don't adjust anything, and see if it still gives you trouble.
    It's less than 50 miles. I just finished building it last week. The shop set up the tuning for me and I took it back for a quick look and they said it seems fine. They do have a tech that is better with adjusting gearing so maybe I'll take it to him.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    with a 10 speed cassette and the bike in a stand, shift into one of the middle sprockets on the rear cassette. Then adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter so that it adds more tension to the shifting cable one click at a time until the chain jumps into the next highest gear. Then, twist the barrel adjusting on the shifter, one full turn the opposite way. The chain should drop back into the original gear at this time. Ride the bike and see if it shifts better. if it doesn't, add one click on the barrel adjuster to get the chain to shift to bigger sprocket, or reduce the barrel adjuster if the chain wants to shift to the bigger sprocket on it's own. anyway, one or two clicks on a shifter's barrel adjuster is all it takes between a sweet shifting system and a one that doesn't work so well.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The newest Niner fix kit finally cured my funky shifting on my Jet 9 RDO. Yahoo!