mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Jet9 RDO pivot bearing failure

I was going to put this in the"what don't you like" thread but it's getting awfully large... I have had my jet9 RDO on the trails about a dozen times so far and I have been loving it however I was quite disappointed after my first muddy race of the year. Two of the bearings in the lower link were awfully crunchy and in fact one of them was pretty well seized the day after the race. I was able to clean and lube them reasonably well but I was still surprised to see their sad state following all of two hours in the mud. I don't have much confidence in their longevity.

But that's not the worst part - one of the bolts holding the pivot together also fell out at some point during the race. I think the seized bearing caused it to turn and loosen. Maybe. Either way it is long gone and of course my LBS has none in stock. It is the middle of our busiest race period and my bike is unrideable. Hopefully niner's customer service will come to the rescue. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any update?
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes --- Niner sent my LBS two new bolts very quickly. Overnight from LA to Eastern Canada. Excellent. Didn't miss a ride.

I also see that Niner has now upped the torque spec on those bolts to 9nm from 6nm. There's an explanation in the updated Niner Encyclopedia. Should be good to go now.

Bearings seem fine after cleaning as well. The DU bushing in the upper shock mount is shot now though. Seems a little premature... I'm guessing it had something to do with completing a race with a bolt missing from the lower link. Has to increase the load on the busing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Yes --- Niner sent my LBS two new bolts very quickly. Overnight from LA to Eastern Canada. Excellent. Didn't miss a ride.

I also see that Niner has now upped the torque spec on those bolts to 9nm from 6nm. There's an explanation in the updated Niner Encyclopedia. Should be good to go now.

Bearings seem fine after cleaning as well. The DU bushing in the upper shock mount is shot now though. Seems a little premature... I'm guessing it had something to do with completing a race with a bolt missing from the lower link. Has to increase the load on the busing.
    I replaced the bushing with the needle one from Enduro. IT is way better imho.

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    I replaced the bushing with the needle one from Enduro. IT is way better imho.

Could you share the part number for the Enduro bearings?
    Hope to meet you on the trails!

Gregg Soster
    Central Ohio Mountain Biking Organization - President

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK View Post
    Could you share the part number for the Enduro bearings?
    NBKRWC2185

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Just ordered the Enduro needle bearing kit for my Jet9 RDO. This frame has been destroying DU bushings at an alarming rate. As far as I can tell it is not a frame alignment issue. At least I hope it isn't. The needle bearing kit looks excellent.

mtbr member
    Are you replacing just the top bushing with the roller bearing or both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just the top one. My understanding -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- was that on this particular frame it is not necessary to do the bottom one as it doesn't move much. My original top DU bushing wore out very quickly and so did the replacement so I'm hoping to get longer life out of the needle bearing. The bottom one still seems very tight.

mtbr member
    Yep, top one only. When I purchased my Jet9 RDO, I immediately replaced the upper DU bushing with the Enduro kit. Had it on my RIP9 and it's a wonderful addition. It's well-designed and the support from the seller is great. In my opinion, Fox should be doing away with that whole DU bushing thing and moving to these needle bearings. And all frame manufacturers should just make this change regardless. It's a quality move and would likely increase customer satisfaction. I can't tell you how many DU bushings I've replaced for myself and my riding buddies. Poor design.

MTBmoose

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I need to check mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Worn shock bushings on TBc, again!!

Tallboy owners are having the same issue with DU bushings.

Worn shock bushings on TBc, again!!

mtbr member
    Interesting thread. Since I just ordered my new Jet 9 RDO, I'm concerned about this problem. I'm not sure what you're talking about though. Are you talking about the rear shock and how it mounts on the frame? And what are the DU bushings? What does DU mean? I think I want to order the part you haver mentioned, but are all the shocks on the RDO the same, so I would need to order the same part referenced in this thread? Thanks for all the help and info, these forums sure help us non-mechanics!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The DU bushings are little metal sleeves pressed into the eyelets of either end of the shock. Where the bolts go through to attach the shock to the frame. It's a stupid design with tonnes of friction and they wear out pretty quickly depending on the suspension design. They are certainly replaceable but it is a hassle. The needle bearing kit from RWC seems a lot better and is gaining popularity. Fox has seemingly upgraded the DU system for 2013 shocks though. If you get a 2012 shock I would recommend ordering the part referenced and changing it when the bushing wears out. If you get the new one just wait and see how it wears. I'm thinking it's probably at least somewhat of an improvement.

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    Looking to order the kit but it says to order the correct shims if it falls between sizes. Did you order the shims?
    Hope to meet you on the trails!

Gregg Soster
    Central Ohio Mountain Biking Organization - President

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK View Post
    Looking to order the kit but it says to order the correct shims if it falls between sizes. Did you order the shims?
    I didn't order any shims. The reducer size is listed at ninerbikes.com. Just match that up with the appropriate RWC kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    High reviving this post for some help . I just got the jet 9 but bearings are shot ive ordered replacements in the way but I noticed on the bottom pivet near the BB ONE side has silver spacer between the link and bearing but the otherside does not . Am I missing those spacers ? I assume so ? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013megaAM View Post
    High reviving this post for some help . I just got the jet 9 but bearings are shot ive ordered replacements in the way but I noticed on the bottom pivet near the BB ONE side has silver spacer between the link and bearing but the otherside does not . Am I missing those spacers ? I assume so ? Thanks
    Sounds like you have the older version of the frame where the bearings are pressed into the frame not the link. Yes, there should be a thin silver washer between each bearing and the linkage. Except on the seat stays where there are red conical shaped washers.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Sounds like you have the older version of the frame where the bearings are pressed into the frame not the link. Yes, there should be a thin silver washer between each bearing and the linkage. Except on the seat stays where there are red conical shaped washers.
    thanks a lot . Now I need to find 2 silver washers to fit .