mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Jet9 RDO Medium for 5'7" riders

I'm 5'7" and looking to buy a Jet9 RDO

I'm hoping there are some similar height folks in a Jet9 RDO in a medium size.

What length stem are you on?

What length cranks are you on (175 vs 170)?

Did you find the Medium too big?

I was set to buy a RIP9 Medium as I'd demoed one and liked it, but I ride mostly XC here in VT and the RDO weight, quickness is obviously more appealing. The RDO has a slightly longer reach despite having a shorter TT.

Thanks to anyone who can offer up info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You should be fine on a medium...I'm 5'7" with 29" inseam...I had a medium JetRDO with 175 cranks, 50mm stem and 711mm wide bar...

Fast bike...Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Not an RDO but I'm 5'7" and the small AIR 9 fits me pretty well. A medium sounds a little large but that all depends on your body dimensions too. I guess get a shop to fit you and see what size they'd recommend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'10 and ride a medium Jet9 RDO with a 100mm stem. I ride with my seat at 30.25" from the BB center.

You might be better of on a small with an 80 or 90mm stem. I used to have a Large Sir9 with an 90mm stem and never liked the handling. I was able to demo the medium Jet9 RDO and loved it. This is the best handling bike I have ever ridden. Try to demo one if you can in Small and Medium. You might not like the bigger size and like the small alot. Here is what my set up looks like.

I have since flipped the stem to get a lower bar height and more weight on the from wheel.
    Last edited by azpoolguy; 01-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I'm 5'10 and ride a medium Jet9 RDO with a 100mm stem. I ride with my seat at 30.25" from the BB center.

You might be better of on a small with an 80 or 90mm stem. I used to have a Large Sir9 with an 90mm stem and never liked the handling. I was able to demo the medium Jet9 RDO and loved it. This is the best handling bike I have ever ridden. Try to demo one if you can in Small and Medium. You might not like the bigger size and like the small alot. Here is what my set up looks like.

I have since flipped the stem to get a lower bar height and more weight on the from wheel.
    That is nice JEt 9 RDO. I like the white fox fork, it looks good.

mtbr member
    Interested in people's thoughts about this. I am 5'6'' and although I used to ride a Small Rip9 I was suggested at the Niner demo to go for a Medium on the Jet9 RDO. I did and now it feels a little to big for me. Or maybe its just that I have to get used to it now.

Dirty South Underdog
    I am 5'6" and I can fit either a small or medium Niner. My A9C SS is a small (100mm -6deg stem), my A9RDO is a medium (70mm, -17deg stem), and my Jet9RDO is a small (90mm,-17deg stem).

If you look at stack and reach on the geometry chart of your current bike, you should be able to determine if a medium frame is going to fit you or not.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no chance to demo here in my neck of the woods....I don't have a current Mtn bike as I've been road riding for the past 10 years. So going off the specs of RIP Medium I demoed is all I've got. The Medium Jet seems a tad smaller in reach and virtually identical stack to the RIP. Shorter standover is a bonus for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no chance to demo here in my neck of the woods....I don't have a current Mtn bike as I've been road riding for the past 10 years. So going off the specs of RIP Medium I demoed is all I've got. The Medium Jet seems a tad smaller in reach and virtually identical stack to the RIP. Shorter standover is a bonus for me.
    My wife 5'6" went with a med j9 rdo with 90mm stem. Fuzzy recommended a small but she was more comfortable on the med. We were thankful for the opportunity to demo. A friend of ours 5'10" was put on a med initially by preferred riding the large. Go figure. Hard to beat a demo ride but I bet the med will work for you with the right stem, post, bars, spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    ... Hard to beat a demo ride but I bet the med will work for you with the right stem, post, bars, spacers.
    ^ ... pull the trigger...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am 5'-9" and ride a medium with a 110mm stem and a zero setback seatpost. I have a fairly long inseam and prefer a higher seat height. I could ride a large with a shorter stem. I would say that a Medium would fit you fine with a shorter stem and a zero setback seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 5'7" and weight about 165, 30" inseam. I don't own a RDO but i do have a medium one9 and a small jet9. The small fits about 1000 times better. remember it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller, I can handle the small better in tight corners and find myself able to jomp over obstacles that I couldn't on the Medium one9.

FTW the one 9 has an 8speed alfine hub outback, and the jet9 is a 1x10 setup both with stans rims built up tubeless with BB7 brakes. so a pretty tight comparison weight and component wise...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'7" w/ a 30" inseam and went with a medium Jet9 RDO, 70mm 0deg stem, 740mm wide 12 deg sweep bars, rdo seat post, 170mm cranks. No regrets with this setup.

mtbr member
    Hey AZ, what's your saddle height and reach? I am on a large with a 668 saddle height, 533 reach and 70mm stem. My fore and aft is right and The front end is a little light while climbing. I'm contemplating swapping to a medium with a longer stem. Your thoughts?

Edit: I missed you saddle height of 30.25, which is identical to mine. How about you reach from the tip of your saddle to the center of your stem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ccornacc; 01-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i'm 5'7 and am on a small with 100mm stem and love the bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Confused yet? We tried. Take the measurements from previous frames that fit you and compare them to the niner frame specs. Or, just order the medium.

COMBO - President
    5'7" here, 29" inseam. I would NOT get the medium. Small. I use a 90mm stem. I have had 3 Retuel fits done by a professional using all the laser, video, stop action , blah, blah, blah.

All 3 of my Niners are small frame. Jet9 RDO, RIP and Jet 9.

175mm cranks.
    Hope to meet you on the trails!

Gregg Soster
    Central Ohio Mountain Biking Organization - President

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    Hey AZ, what's your saddle height and reach? I am on a large with a 668 saddle height, 533 reach and 70mm stem. My fore and aft is right and The front end is a little light while climbing. I'm contemplating swapping to a medium with a longer stem. Your thoughts?

Edit: I missed you saddle height of 30.25, which is identical to mine. How about you reach from the tip of your saddle to the center of your stem.

Thanks!
    From the nose of my saddle to the front of the bars is 23.25" or 590mm if my conversion is correct.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Confused yet? We tried. Take the measurements from previous frames that fit you and compare them to the niner frame specs. Or, just order the medium.
    Don't have a former bike to measure of than a road bike.

All the inter web fitting systems have ben squarely between sizes. What a pain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

size

I am 5'8" and ride an air 9 and a one nine bothe size small.Feels like a perfect fit to me.I could ride a medium but feel the small is just right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Don't have a former bike to measure of than a road bike.

All the inter web fitting systems have ben squarely between sizes. What a pain.

How about going to local bike shops for some test rides of other brands, see what fit you like best, then compare the top/seat tube specs to the rdo?

mtbr member
    I"m 5'6", 31" inseam ( hairy but girl-length legs) and have been riding and occasionally racing a medium Jet 9 RDO for about 1500 miles, super comfortably.
    170mm cranks. 70mm -6* stem, 660mm 11* flat bar. I also run a Thompson set back seat post and seat scooted back..... weird, I know, but I like how it gets me more behind the crank a bit and I have no problems climbing seated or getting behind it. Max saddle sit bones to down-pedal length of 33.5"
    My other ride is a medium Gary Fisher FWIW- I just ride a "size up".... YMMV

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Jet9 RDO in Darth Vader Black on its way. Thanks for everyone's help.

Now the fork.....now idea what to get. Been riding road too long to make any sense of the different types.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Figured I'd recycle this post to get some more help.

I've got a SRAM X9 BB30 crank. What do I need to install it into the PF30 BB shell on the RDO? This?

Truvativ PressFit 30 BB | SRAM