Thread: Jet9 RDO Flex

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

I should have just made a "I'm a newb to 4k bikes, help!" thread.

Anyways, quick question for J9RDO owners. How much flex are you seeing in the rear triangle? Sometimes it almost feels like a flat tire (that lateral wobble) and I do get some creaking from it. If I stand off the bike and just put pressure on a crank I can see and hear a good amount of flex. The rear shock is set to pro-pedal if that changes anything.

This is normal I'm sure, just wanted some clarification. This is my first FS bike let alone carbon bike, I had a 30lb hard tail before.

Moosehead
    At 225 lbs and having come from stout Turner bikes, I have yet to notice any hint of flex in the J9RDO, and generally would describe the CVA pedal platform as semi-firm vs. say mushy. Best guess is you may be experiencing (1) your first full suss feedback, (2) lateral flex from the wheelset, or (3) a slightly under pressured tire?

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

I'm 245lbs so maybe that's part of it. I took a video to show the best I can and its kind of exaggerated because on pressing the crank inwards. You can definitely hear the breaking but I'm starting to think that it's the BB adapter.

http://youtu.be/4mjHPE1JDv4

It might be one of the cases where someone says "when I do this weird ass thing that I shouldn't be doing" to which a sane person would reply "well then don't do that weird thing." But I will say this is how I perceive the feeling when it happens. I usually notice it on turns (the flex). I'm not sure when it creaks, I need to pay more attention.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Jet 9 RDO has some flex but most FS bikes do in the pivots. I think it is vastly overrated...if you want rigid get a stiff carbon frame like the Air 9 carbon. It will beat your arse but will be stiff.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The Jet 9 RDO has some flex but most FS bikes do in the pivots. I think it is vastly overrated...if you want rigid get a stiff carbon frame like the Air 9 carbon. It will beat your arse but will be stiff.
    I'm not saying it bothers me that it flexes, I'm wondering if its supposed to flex that much and creak. Originally I thought the creaking was coming from the chain stay but I'm starting to think its the BB

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That creaking sound does not sound good. But it could be plenty of things like BB, skewer etc. Have you checked if the bolts are tightened with correc Nm?

mtbr member
    How long have you had your frame? My RIP9 alloy was about 7 months old when it started to make that same sound under hard peddling. It would also make the same sound when the suspension immediately released from being compressed. I checked all of the suspension pivots and the two at the bottom bracket linkage were fairly dry. I also discovered that the drive side bearing on the main pivot under the bb wasn't seated all the way in, so it was allowing the small spacer between the bb shell and linkage to rattle around (the bearings were all perfect, BTW). I set the bearing in all the way with an appropriate socket, re-greased the axles and put everything back together and it has been creak free ever since.

Every bike I've ever owned can be flexed some amount by placing a load on one pedal while standing off to the side. You'd be surprised how much of the flex that appears to be the frame is actually coming from the wheels. I'm a big guy at 260 and rough on bikes as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry bro - pushing on the pedals like that tells you exactly nothing about frame stiffness. I am sorry that someone showed you that move at some point in your life but you were misled. The breaking sound is not ideal though, check your suspension bolts. I think niner came out and said that they were printed 6nm but should have been printed 9nm.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also check the bearing preload on your wheels if applicable. I was getting a lot of rear end flex and this turned out to be the culprit.

Moosehead
    ^Agree with suggestions to check BB, pivot bolt torques, and skewers/wheel hub preload. What BB setup do you have? Chase down that creaking.

As another possible heads up, my lower shock bolt mount had side to side play, so I upgraded both shock eyes to the RWC needle bearing kit and also needed to shim one of the lower shock bolt sides with a slim washer to reduce play.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

Running SRAM adapter with XT crankset and stock BB hollowtech spindle. I'll check the pivot screws as I did remove them to install the shift kit.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

After tightening up all the pivot points and rear shock, it ended up being such a stupid thing. Rear skewer wasn't tight enough. I rode two laps of the same singletrack right after and the sound was completely gone along with that flat-tire-flex-feeling. My shifting issue from my other thread seems to be better now too, though the shop did tune it a bit.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Last edited by quote; 05-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    You're lucky you caught that. I have a friend who left his Maxle loose for a few rides. His Hope freehub worked its way loose and finally disengaged the teeth inside the hub. The pawls grabbed the hub body itself and, being a big guy with a ton of torque, dug into the body about an 8th of an inch. The whole thing seized up, the freehub body split in half, and that was that.

Hope covered him, but man - that was a bad day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quote View Post
    I'm not saying it bothers me that it flexes, I'm wondering if its supposed to flex that much and creak. Originally I thought the creaking was coming from the chain stay but I'm starting to think its the BB
    what is the rear end set up 135mm qr or 142x12

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    what is the rear end set up 135mm qr or 142x12
    135 qr

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I find the RDO to be pretty stiff. I have a light Stan's rim that flexes quite a bit. It is hard to say it is the frame unless you have a carbon wheelset set up with beefier spokes...it could also be your tire rolling a bit on the rim. Lots of things cause flex.

mtbr member

Jet9 RDO Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I find the RDO to be pretty stiff. I have a light Stan's rim that flexes quite a bit. It is hard to say it is the frame unless you have a carbon wheelset set up with beefier spokes...it could also be your tire rolling a bit on the rim. Lots of things cause flex.
    It was just a loose rear wheel it seems. I run Crossmax STs, they seem pretty stiff.