Bicycle rider

Jet9 - lower water bottle bolts - what to do

What are you all doing with the lower water bottle frame bolts? On my last jet I kept them in and from all the obstacles I cross they were all mashed up and when I eventually tried to unscrew them they were stripped. I am thinking about leaving the screws out and filling the holes with silicone I would think this would allow me to go over obstacles w/o issues like a bolt grabbing a log, etc. Thoughts?
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    What are you all doing with the lower water bottle frame bolts? On my last jet I kept them in and from all the obstacles I cross they were all mashed up and when I eventually tried to unscrew them they were stripped. I am thinking about leaving the screws out and filling the holes with silicone I would think this would allow me to go over obstacles w/o issues like a bolt grabbing a log, etc. Thoughts?
    Silicone? NO, just go to home depot and get a plastic push plug, size is 315" I think. Just remove the bolts and push them in and done.
    WalkerP

Four wheels transport the body; two wheels transport the soul.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by slowman
    Silicone? NO, just go to home depot and get a plastic push plug, size is 315" I think. Just remove the bolts and push them in and done.
    Great idea Thanks!
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Swap the Jet for a Rip.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The plastic push plugs are pretty cool and can usually be found in black or white. Cyclocross racers sometimes cover bottle mounts with electrical tape, but that's not particularly durable. I use Ti button head bolts.They don't rust and they look all sexy-like. But if you tried bolts before, perhaps it's plug time.

JMH