mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Jet9 alloy or Rip9 alloy

I am in a dilemma but you could also call me a beginner so due to inexperience I may just not know. I am looking to build up my first niner and obsessed with the brand so now I just need to decide which one.

Option 1 is a jet9 alloy or a rip9. I ride alot of singletrack with hills here in Missouri and would like to race occasionally and train for more endurance races. This will be my one and only bike for now so I realize getting a bike that will do everything is impossible.

I am 5'6 about 170 but have lost 50 pounds already and will continue to lose weight. I will get a size small so this is where I'm curious if there is much difference. A 100 mm fork on a jet9 small has a headtube angle of 71 degrees while a rip9 small with 120 mm fork has a headtube angle of 70.5 so not much of a difference. Is there other factors I need to look for?

Since I got into mountain biking I have been obsessed so I'm very impatient about this. Niner will have no jet9 in a small until they release their update in a few months so I'd have to wait on the other hand I love the green on the rip9. So I am really just wanting some opinions on what bike you might choose and why.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Jet9 alloy or Rip9 alloy

I'd probably wait to see what the new Jet9 offers if the stock issues are an indication of a new one being released. They mentioned doing a photo shoot today, so id like to think they were out shooting something new. It could very well be nothing though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I went on my birthday to start the build process and the niner representative was actually in the store. He said there were none on order and confirmed to me a new design will be out. That was April 11 and he said look for one in 60-90 days.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker StL View Post
    I am in a dilemma but you could also call me a beginner so due to inexperience I may just not know. I am looking to build up my first niner and obsessed with the brand so now I just need to decide which one.

Option 1 is a jet9 alloy or a rip9. I ride alot of singletrack with hills here in Missouri and would like to race occasionally and train for more endurance races. This will be my one and only bike for now so I realize getting a bike that will do everything is impossible.

I am 5'6 about 170 but have lost 50 pounds already and will continue to lose weight. I will get a size small so this is where I'm curious if there is much difference. A 100 mm fork on a jet9 small has a headtube angle of 71 degrees while a rip9 small with 120 mm fork has a headtube angle of 70.5 so not much of a difference. Is there other factors I need to look for?

Since I got into mountain biking I have been obsessed so I'm very impatient about this. Niner will have no jet9 in a small until they release their update in a few months so I'd have to wait on the other hand I love the green on the rip9. So I am really just wanting some opinions on what bike you might choose and why.

Thanks in advance.
    I have both the alloy JET 9 and RIP 9 (older model RIP with a steeper HT angle than the newer one and less travel in the rear). I have both set up for exactly what you describe - Midwest singletrack XC races and endurance races. Obviously, the JET 9 weighs less, but expect about a pound to a pound and a quarter difference between the two for the current models. I assume the new JET (when announced) will have the same air formed tubes as the new RIP and hence, will be a bit lighter than the current alloy JET 9. Most likely it will have 100mm of rear travel upped from the current 80mm - but who knows?

You mention "race occasionally" and train for endurance races. You really couldn't go wrong with either selection. At 5'6" and your weight (plus continued weight loss you mention), the rear travel of 80-100mm will probably be plenty. Will you really need or want as much rear travel as the new RIP provides? And will you really need a 120mm fork up front, or could you be fine with 100mm? Those are the questions to ask. The RIP hits the sweet spot of all around riding in terms of travel (whether it is the current alloy version or the prior model or two). I think mine, being older with less rear travel than the new ones, makes it fine for a tall guy like myself for XC and endurance races. I'm not quite sold the new alloy RIP with the extra travel and slacker HT would be as ideal, but I'm sure I would be fine on it.

If I was heading to Landahl mountain bike trails in Missouri, I would reach for my RIP without even thinking about it. If I was headed to some cow pasture singletrack - it would be the JET for sure.

The JET alloy is really a good XC race bike. If you put something like Renegade 2.3's front and rear, or an Ikon 2.35 up front - the extra volume tires makes it a really plush bike for what you are mentioning. If the new one has more rear travel - even better. Either way, you have to wait for it if there are no more size smalls in the current version being released.

I guess, my experience for what you describe would be the JET. The RIP would be fun and a great all around ;-), but it might be too much bike for what you describe. You could, like me, make it more XC oriented with the shorter fork, tires and an XC build and enjoy the plush without any problems. It just depends on which way you want to lean - all arounder or XC race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I figured it would be better to wait but I am impatient and really looking forward to a new bike. In terms of how much travel it probably is overkill for that much I guessing. Though I don't have much experience so I'm not sure if other people would ride the same amount. I rode trek rumble fish and it did seem like to much but man it was a smooth ride compared to my entry level hardtail.

I guess I wasn't sure if a rip9 was used to race. I thought of it more as an all mountain/trail bike but I new so maybe I'm wrong? However on miners website they say the rip is a great race bike for high school.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok I have owned many bikes & the Niners I have owned are 2008 Jet9 alloy,2009 Rip9 Alloy,2010 Jet9 Alloy,2012 Jet9 RDO,2012 Air9 alloy,2012 EMD,2013 Jet9 RDO & 2013 Rip9 RDO.

So have quite a bit of miles on them.

If I was you I would be looking at the 2013 Rip9 Alloy with either a 120 or 130mm fork on it.

The reasons being you want 1 bike to do it all & that is what the Rip9 is.

My Jet9 alloy was a good bike but left me wanting more bike, My Rip9 Alloy was an awesome bike that I just loved but it left me wanting a lighter bike that pedaled a little better/quicker for the long climbs.

Easy answer was I wanted a Rip9 Carbon, But they didn't make 1.

So I brought a Jet9 RDO.

The Jet9 RDO was an eye opener for me as to just how good a bike could be everywhere, It is quicker on all the trails I ride than what my jet9 & rip9 alloy bikes were.

The Jet9 RDO is such a fast climber that It had me thinking that if/when they build a Rip9 carbon it won't matter if it drops 10% of the climbing ability of the Jet9 RDO.

I now own both the Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO & I don't seem to loose much at all on the climbs on the Rip9 RDO compaired to the Jet9 RDO.

The New Rip9 Alloy is the same CVA setup as the Rip9 RDO ( That I know climbs great ) & will out climb the older Rip9 Alloy by quite a bit ( as good as the current Alloy Jet9 would be my guess )

Times are changing & so are bikes, The thing is that the new Rip9 Alloy can have a cheap set of carbon wheels bolted to it & would be a very fast bike if you do end up doing more racing, It will also handle most of what Joe average could ever hope to throw at a bike.

Yesterday I did a 12 hour MTB event & took my Rip9 RDO & Jet9 RDO & was going to ride both, It was wet & muddy & lots of fun.

I started out on the Rip9 RDO & ended up staying on it & didn't even ride the Jet9 RDO. Some of it would straight out be why get both bikes covered in crap, But if I thought there was time in it that just wouldn't matter.

The New Rip9's just work so well that if your not focused on just racing I can't see how you would go wrong if you were to only have 1 bike.

The Jet9 RDO/Carbon is a great bike & it is fast & will handle so much more than what someone that has never ridden 1 could ever beleave, But IMO I think that the Rip9 RDO or 2013 alloy will make you a much braver & more daring rider in the end & with the same amount of speed on the easyer tracks .

If I was being taken to trails that I had never heard of & had to choose what bike I could hire out of a Jet9 RDO with alloy wheels or a Rip9 RDO with alloy or a 2013 Rip9 Alloy with carbon wheel, The bike I would choose to take anywhere would be the 2013 Rip9 Alloy with carbon wheels.

Just my 2 c.

I hope this makes it easyer & not harder.

mtbr member
    You're makin' me feel really good about the alloy, Muzz.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    You're makin' me feel really good about the alloy, Muzz.
    I think with the right build this bike would be a very fast weapon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Muzzanic. What type of builds do you have on your jet9 and rip9?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Muzzanic. What type of builds do you have on your jet9 and rip9?
    My Jet9 RDO has

XX1 Group,

XX brakes with 180mm XX rotors

Niner carbon flat bar, 710mm wide

Easton Haven Mag stem 70mm long.

Rock Shox Revelation fork.

Reverb seat post

My Rip9 RDO

has

XX brakes with 180mm XX rotors

Niner carbon flat bar, 780mm wide

Niner Trail stem 70mm long.

Revelation fork this week & Pike fork will be here next week

Reverb seat post.

I swap wheels between bikes, But I have.

I9 Torch,Trail Carbon 32 with 2.4 Racing Ralph's

I9 / Flow's with 2.35 Hans Dumps

I9/ Arch EX with 2.25 Nobby Nic's

Arch EX / Hope Pro 2 Evo with 2.25 Racing Ralph's

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just an update. There was a niner demo this past weekend I rode a new rip9 alloy with x0 components and also a jet9 rdo. I loved them both but the rdo is way out of my price range so it wasn't even fair. Today I ordered a new rip9 with x7 build. I liked the rip and it was in my price point. I felt the rip might give me more confidence especially going downhill because I am usually hesitant. Also, with getting a pre built bike I did not like the new white jet9 that comes on the 1 star build.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good choice.

Have fun & ride lots

Just an update. There was a niner demo this past weekend I rode a new rip9 alloy with x0 components and also a jet9 rdo. I loved them both but the rdo is way out of my price range so it wasn't even fair. Today I ordered a new rip9 with x7 build. I liked the rip and it was in my price point. I felt the rip might give me more confidence especially going downhill because I am usually hesitant. Also, with getting a pre built bike I did not like the new white jet9 that comes on the 1 star build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ..... the new rip9 alloy.... the thing I have found is to let it roll and don't try to manage it -- just hang on....I wonder about the new jet....

mtbr member
    I live in the same area of Missouri and the same boat as the OP. I am pulling my hair out trying to decide if I should order the Jet9 RDO or The Rip9 RDO.
    I am 42yrs old 6'2"-6'3" tall 225-230 lbs
    Ride mostly XC type of stuff in Missouri.
    currently ride 2010 Fisher Cobia..a rough weight is about 31Lbs
    climbing I like to sit and spin.
    Don't race and wanting to upgrade to fs for comfort and make the ride more fun.
    Sounds like I want a Rip RDO but thinking if I get the Jet RDO with 120 fork that might be all I need?? Just don't want to make climbing any harder than it already is.

Help

Confused

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey kev84,

Wife and I were "exiled" to St. Louis for three years. Even being early 40s never found trails in the immediate area that our old school Klein hardtails (circa 1994) could not handle. Returning to Colorado in 2007 we continued with the hardtails until August 2012 when we could take it no longer and purchased Niner Jet 9 RDOs. The area where we live has plenty of steep climbs and rocky descents. Ya know, get out of the car, climb 2000 feet and then descend. Ugh. If you remain in mizzou go with the jet rdo--if you venture out of state for more knarly rides you should consult muzzanic's previous posts on the differences between Jet and RIP RDO riders.

Good luck and good riding,
    Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kev84 View Post
    I live in the same area of Missouri and the same boat as the OP. I am pulling my hair out trying to decide if I should order the Jet9 RDO or The Rip9 RDO.
    I am 42yrs old 6'2"-6'3" tall 225-230 lbs
    Ride mostly XC type of stuff in Missouri.
    currently ride 2010 Fisher Cobia..a rough weight is about 31Lbs
    climbing I like to sit and spin.
    Don't race and wanting to upgrade to fs for comfort and make the ride more fun.
    Sounds like I want a Rip RDO but thinking if I get the Jet RDO with 120 fork that might be all I need?? Just don't want to make climbing any harder than it already is.

Help

Confused
    Call me... Your height and weight. Rip new one - you can ride it. 314 406-5465. Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo61 View Post
    Call me... Your height and weight. Rip new one - you can ride it. 314 406-5465. Tim
    That would be great!
    What area you live Tim?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjabboud View Post
    Hey kev84,

Wife and I were "exiled" to St. Louis for three years. Even being early 40s never found trails in the immediate area that our old school Klein hardtails (circa 1994) could not handle. Returning to Colorado in 2007 we continued with the hardtails until August 2012 when we could take it no longer and purchased Niner Jet 9 RDOs. The area where we live has plenty of steep climbs and rocky descents. Ya know, get out of the car, climb 2000 feet and then descend. Ugh. If you remain in mizzou go with the jet rdo--if you venture out of state for more knarly rides you should consult muzzanic's previous posts on the differences between Jet and RIP RDO riders.

Good luck and good riding,
    Bill
    Thanks Bill..
    I think that the Jet is the way to go just want it to be stable and comfortable for a nice ride. Maybe 120 on the front as a compromise??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo61 View Post
    St. Louis.
    City?
    County?
    You riding tomorrow?