Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jet or Rip?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Jet or Rip?

Looking to get a Niner soon, my question is which one. I'm looking for an every day bike that I can race occasionally. I live in the midwest, so it is mostly what I would call XC type trails. I currently ride a Trek Fuel EX which has 120mm (4.7") travel front and rear and weighs about 28 pounds. I'd also like to be able to get lighter without breaking the bank.

So, do I want a Jet 9 or Rip 9? What really sucks is there is no where around for me to see one before I order it, the shop I'm thinking about buying it from is not a stocking dealer

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazn_84
    Looking to get a Niner soon, my question is which one. I'm looking for an every day bike that I can race occasionally. I live in the midwest, so it is mostly what I would call XC type trails. I currently ride a Trek Fuel EX which has 120mm (4.7") travel front and rear and weighs about 28 pounds. I'd also like to be able to get lighter without breaking the bank.

So, do I want a Jet 9 or Rip 9? What really sucks is there is no where around for me to see one before I order it, the shop I'm thinking about buying it from is not a stocking dealer
    Both are great bikes. I own both (due to the JET recall and purchasing the discounted RIP frame JET owners were offered as one of the options while we waited). Midwest riding as well for me.

An every day bike that you can race "occasionally"....

The JET is a race bike, but can be built out with more burly gear to be an every day ride, but when doing so it will be near that 27 or 28 pound marker your current bike weighs. My XL JET weighs 25.5 pounds with race wheels, tires, 2 x 9 drivetrain and light gear. My RIP weighs about 1.5 pounds more (frame is that much heavier alone thanks to being extra burly). I ride it at 27 or 28 pounds depending on the tires and wheels I use.

Can you race the RIP on occasion? You bet! When outfitted with race tires (and even better - race wheels), it races fine and dandy. Use ProPedal and lock out the fork on climbs and the RIP will do fine for your occasional race. I, personally, would pick it over the JET for a daily ride because of the fun, versatility and fun factor. You can build it to a weight in the range of 26 - 28 pounds. But that's me. Your local trails and riding style may prefer the lighter JET with less travel.

I don't know what size of frame you ride, but I'll be at this race that isn't too terribly far from you (if you're in Fulton, that's only 28 miles away) on Saturday, July 17th and would be happy to let you ride both the JET and RIP to get an idea. That's 3 weeks from today if you can wait that long. The only caveat is they are both size XL's. We could lower the seat on both so you could just get an idea of how they feel if that's way too big for you. That might help you make your decision. Just let me know and I will load up both bikes when I come to that FORC/IMBCS race. I could bring some shorter stems as well and God knows, I've got plenty of spacers to take off to get the bars down if need be for a test ride. Just a thought and I would be more than happy to stick around after the race and set you up for a demo on both bikes.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 06-26-2010 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the input Bruce. I may be at that race. I did it last year and struggled with the distance but I should be in better shape this year. I'd ride a medium frame so your bikes would be pretty big for me but that's awesome of you to offer. If I decide on the Jet I need to pull the trigger soon because they only have a few right now.

I'd probably classify myself as an aggressive xc rider. The shop owner I'm working with thinks I wouldn't notice less travel on a 29er. He wants me to come ride his Superfly 100 and see what I think. Just out of curiosity what is the build on your RIP and what fork and wheels are you running on your Jet?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi I have both bikes & BB is right on the money.

You just couldn't go wrong with either bike.

The Rip9 & Jet9 over lap so much

Always Learning
    Thanks for the input Bruce. I may be at that race. I did it last year and struggled with the distance but I should be in better shape this year. I'd ride a medium frame so your bikes would be pretty big for me but that's awesome of you to offer. If I decide on the Jet I need to pull the trigger soon because they only have a few right now.

I'd probably classify myself as an aggressive xc rider. The shop owner I'm working with thinks I wouldn't notice less travel on a 29er. He wants me to come ride his Superfly 100 and see what I think. Just out of curiosity what is the build on your RIP and what fork and wheels are you running on your Jet?

The Superfly will be somewhat close to what the JET feels like (at least more so than the RIP) - so that's a good one to test. Fork on the JET is the REBA XX and the wheels are custom built Crest rims/DT Swiss 240 hubs and DT Comp spokes. I swap between the Blunt/King wheels and the I9/Flow wheels on the RIP:

RIP

The RIP in "race formation" as I ride it at longer events with race tires (such as the 3+ hour Bone Bender):

Ripster After Bone Bender

Both bikes will do you and can be built to your needs.

BB

Carbon & Ti rule
    The 80mm travel on the Jet9 feels alot more than it is,It realy works well.

Also don't count out putting a 120mm fork on the Jet9, I have had to put 1 on my Jet9 because I haven't been able to get my hads on my 100mm XX with 20mm T/A fork yet,The Fox 120 fork works well on the bike.

Closekids.com
    What fork are you going to put on it? 120 or 80 depending on what frame? If you are getting a new fork, definitely go for the RIP. If you are over 35 years old it becomes even more of a no brainer unless you are riding on smooth dirt.
    Here is me racing two weeks ago on my RIP.

Its interesting racing this bike. Had a HT guy come up behind me on a smooth part of the trail. Every time it got chunky, I pulled ahead further. When it got flat he pulled back up. We were obviously close skillwise and I beat him because the whole course had lots of roots and rocks and I was simply faster over those sections.

Forgot, mine weighs 28.1 lbs (med frame) with a 840g Nevegal on the front which is about to GO!!!!! Have an aspen on the back and getting a Geax Saguaro for the front. Will drop 200g or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet or Rip?-60-but-smaller.jpg  

Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I have owned both

I found the JET to be flexier and just didn't get me all that excited. It felt a bit harsh at times too. It did climb a touch better due to less travel and it was lighter. I would go with a RIP unless you (1) live in an area that is mostly smooth or (2) race a lot. Otherwise, I would recommend a RIP.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 06-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member

+1 on the RIP

I have a RIP in a Large. Loving it very much. I have raced mine once (the only race Ive entered so far) and did very well. The RIP in my opinion is the do all bike. I bet you could even use the RIP as a DH bike if built right. You just can't go wrong with this frame set. Very durable stiff and like others have said just a fun bike to ride and enjoy. A tank on two wheels. Can tackle anything!!
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    funny... I was in the same boat and chose a Jet.. I do not have it built the lightest, it is 27-28 lbs.xt parts, 100 mm reba fork..... I have a lighter wheelset that is more for racing, and also a burlier set that I can put on it I want... It is definitely a trail bike that I can race easily in its current configuration....I think if I had the RIP it would weight too much between the frame and longer travel fork for races....then I would not want to race it... BUT either way you will be happy.... Bruce and others have good points on the other side, I just thought I should throw in my opinion as well.... If it matters I was between and MCR and Jet when I initailly bought the Jet, so I am coming from a different angle than you on the whole thing... With the recall I now have an MCR and Jet.... Now I cant decide which one to ride! both are great, and fast...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Maybe just don't over think it.

If racing is important to you buy the Jet9 & if it isn't buy the Rip9.

Just be honest with yourself,How brave are you?

I don't think that anyone in the group that I ride in could out ride my Jet9 & need the Rip9 & there are some very fast & brave people in that group.

There is no question in my mind that the Jet9 would be faster than the Rip9 for XC riding however there is also no question in my mind that the Rip9 will make you a better rider.

By that I mean that with the Jet9 you will be faster, but with the Rip9 you will end up being the 1 pushing the group to try hard things rather than being the 1 saying mybe I will try that next time out.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 06-28-2010 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I just got home from test riding the Superfly 100. I did a lap on my Fuel and then got on the Superfly, the first thing I noticed was that the gravel road I started on didn't feel the same, not as much vibration, then the pot holes in the road felt more like dips than hard edged drops. The thing felt really fast too. I really couldn't compare directly but it felt faster. So after riding it for almost an hour I got back on my Fuel for a little ride and it felt like a toy honestly. So as for my first ride one a 29er, it rocked!

The only thing now is how does it really compare to the Niners. The Superfly has 110mm rear travel and 100mm in the front. The Superfly weighs 25.35lbs according to my scale so a Rip is going to be quite a bit heavier. I don't know if riding the superfly has helped my decision (other than if I can ride a 29er) but it was a lot of fun!!!

The Other Dude
    I too rode the SF100, and while i cant compare it to the RIP as i have not riddent it yet, but the Jet9 pedaled and climbed way more efficient than the SF100 for me. the CVA really fits my riding style and terrain well. I took keep going back and forth between the Jet and the Rip.....any thoughts as to when one might actually be able to buy a Jet frame? The RIP being available right now might be the deciding factor for me, plus havent heard too much bad talk about either.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    jut, the main reason that this came up was that I was told Niner had some green Jets available now, well they did on Friday....If you have a local dealer you may be able to get one, but I'm not sure if all sizes are available.

Closekids.com
    Forgot. Trash all this and buy the one that makes you happiest!

The Other Dude
    You are right, they did have a few Jet9's available in my size (large) in the Kermit green, at least they still did when i called, he said if i wanted one, i better order quick, he didnt know how long they would be around.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    What fork are you going to put on it? 120 or 80 depending on what frame? If you are getting a new fork, definitely go for the RIP. If you are over 35 years old it becomes even more of a no brainer unless you are riding on smooth dirt.
    Here is me racing two weeks ago on my RIP.

Its interesting racing this bike.....
    The RIP races fine and dandy. Ditto on the over 35 (over 45 in my case) crowd.

Here's my RIP post race yesterday at Mt. Kato Ski Area (Mankato, MN). Notice the JET hiding in the back of my Element? It was too shy to come out and face the mud with all the big boys. Actually, I didn't think the Aspens on the JET were up to the task of all the mud, so I raced the RIP which had some more appropriate aggressive tires on it for the conditions.

Muddy RIP

The Other Dude
    Did you happen to make a decision yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If I go with a Niner I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a Rip. I liked the way that the Superfly rode so much that I'm also thinking about a Hifi pro. But it's gonna be while until I make a purchase now that I decided against the Jet. I think I need a little more travel. There are still a couple other new bikes coming out that I'd like to check into as well. I know Giant is making a 29er Anthem and I know first hand that the 26" Anthem is pretty awesome.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys! The Niner forum is much more helpful than some of the others I have asked questions in!!!

fux
    Scooterist
    I`ve orderd a rip9 and recieved a tapered fox 120 talas for the mostly ride trial/weekend worrier duties.

It will be exciting to see how light I can get it.

Mr. BruceBrown, isn`t that front brake line on the wrong side of the fork?
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a Milk Dud Rip 9 Need to decide what size!!

Closekids.com
    For some reason, I think YOU ARE A GENIUS!
    Call Niner directly to talk sizes. Don't jack around with other opinions until they size you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet or Rip?-img_1090-50%25redux.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a Milk Dud Rip 9 Need to decide what size!!
    What height & weight are you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm 5'10 and 208 lbs (and falling ) After studying the dimensions of the Superfly I rode, my current bike and the Rip 9 it looks like the medium is going to be the choice. I'ts really close to what I'm used to.The shop owner that is going to order it for me will make sure it's the right size. He and I ride pretty much the same setup and sized bikes. I've actually bought a bike from his personal collection in the past and it was his Superfly that I test rode.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 5'10 and 208 lbs (and falling ) After studying the dimensions of the Superfly I rode, my current bike and the Rip 9 it looks like the medium is going to be the choice. I'ts really close to what I'm used to.The shop owner that is going to order it for me will make sure it's the right size. He and I ride pretty much the same setup and sized bikes. I've actually bought a bike from his personal collection in the past and it was his Superfly that I test rode.
    Med would be good,I'm just on 6 foot & ride a large but I feel ok on med

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast