mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Jet RDO PF30 bottom bracket recommendation with Sram XX1 GXP crank???

Tried the search but did not find what I was looking for.

Problem: Using PF30 to BSA adaptor recently had to remove/replace external bottom bracket. I did not remove the PF30 to BSA adaptor that I understand SRAM says is a one time use only. Now driveside is backing out slightly on one edge causing creaking.

Possible Solutions: Suggestions requested. 1. New PF30 to BSA adaptor since old one may be compromised? I will be using this (possibly) with a warrantied Chris King External type bottom bracket.

2. Completely different/new PF30 bottom bracket that works with my SRAM XX1 GXP crank....suggestions?

My thinking: The PF30 to BSA Adaptor worked fine until the Chris King BB drive side bearing crapped out and I removed/replaced the BB, so least expensive would be to replace with new PF30 to BSA adaptor and hope the problem goes and stays away. Or should I drop some coin and get the new Chris King Pressfit 30 BB and adaptor for GXP Cranks (about a $200 fix). Or maybe some other PF30 bottom bracket?

Suggestions please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I guess I might should add that I generally ride in the dry but do experience some wet/muddy conditions periodically.

mtbr member
    A similar discussion here: Is anybody running BB30 cranks on their Niners?

I'm currently running the Chris King option with CK BB30 to GXP adapters with no issues. I'm also using the Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to GXP/24mm adapters on my A9C and so far success. Though I am not running the XX1 cranks, the Jet RDO is on a 'generic' Truvative crank for an SRM power meter, and the A9C is running an XTR crank. All are setup as a 1x.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well now that I am an expert on this subject from the other thread

As you are using an XX1 GXP crank I assume there is no immediate need to upgrade the crankset.

Replacing the adaptor and using the standard threaded bearings will be the simplest and cheapest. Its the way I am going to go when I get my new frame. It allows me to use GXP, Shimano, Raceface, FSA etc cranks, anything that screws into a BSA thread.

I looked at the CK PF30 bearings plus GXP adaptors. The only reasons to go to this system are if you think the PF30 bearings are inherently better than standard external bearings and in your case if CK will give you a credit towards them on your warranty replacement bearings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cool, thanks to both of your replies. I have used the Sram PF30 to BSA adaptor (just like y'all are doing if I read your replies correctly) and Chris King External bottom brackets and the ONLY time I have had an issue is if I removed the External BB and did not use a NEW PF30 to BSA adaptor. I ordered another one (Amazon seems to be the cheapest $33 shipped) and hope to get my BB back from Chris King soon and will give it another shot with the new adaptor which seem to be the key here. Press it in once and don't touch it. Once touched then probably need a new one.
    I assume to remove it, you just take a large flat head screw driver or something similar and lightly tap it out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    A similar discussion here: Is anybody running BB30 cranks on their Niners?

I'm currently running the Chris King option with CK BB30 to GXP adapters with no issues. I'm also using the Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to GXP/24mm adapters on my A9C and so far success. Though I am not running the XX1 cranks, the Jet RDO is on a 'generic' Truvative crank for an SRM power meter, and the A9C is running an XTR crank. All are setup as a 1x.

Hope that helps.
    Yes it does, but just to clarify, you mean you are using the Chris King PF30 (not BB30) BB with the GXP adaptor for Sram cranks (conversion kit #3), right? I think this is the $200 option I mentioned.
    I think I am going to go with ozynigma's (and what I was using before I swapped out the BB) option, and if it works OK I am done, if it creaks then I'll try the $200 Chris King option.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The correct answer is you use the proper bearing setter/remover tool. Luckily I know a bike mechanic mate who will do this work for me for a reasonable charge.

On the other hand its amazing what you can achieve with a screwdriver and rubber mallet. There is however a risk of damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just lightly tapped mine out last night with a large flat head screw driver. I can't imagine damaging the BB shell by lightly tapping it. Took a few taps all around but nothing hard enough to damage anything. Even with the "proper" bearing removal tool you still have to hit it with a hammer, so I see no difference.
    I just pressed mine back in dry with the PF30 to BSA adaptor and I made 100% certain that everything was clean and proper spacers, torque (using a torque wrench), etc.
    If the drive side backs out this time, I will know for sure something additional must be used such as Loctite. Crossing my fingers!!!!