Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Jet RDO New Cable Routing

23.13lbs as shown, minus another 0.29lbs when I get my new wheels! Finally got the thru axle end caps I needed for the back wheel. Check out the new cable routing! Also notice anything about the brake rotors?

Photos:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8530788&type=1

mtbr member
    Can't open the link. Is this new routing on the 2013 model?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice looking build and nice low weight! The new cable routing is similar to what I rigged up on my own for my 2012 Jet RDO build, or at least it looks similar because I only had one cable to route.

Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    23.13lbs as shown, minus another 0.29lbs when I get my new wheels! Finally got the thru axle end caps I needed for the back wheel. Check out the new cable routing! Also notice anything about the brake rotors?

Photos:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8530788&type=1

mtbr member
    It is the latest Jet RDO just shipping, Niner doesn't use model years though. Here are is a different link: Jet RDO II

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow...that routing is soooo much better. Makes me want the new frame just for that!!

mtbr member
    The old routing is working out fine for me, but it took some trial and error to get it trouble free. The new approach does simplify installation and maintenance quite a bit. I am however a bit surprised they went full external on the rear triangle section as it seems like that section could have went back into the frame easily. The other models that route in that way go unshielded in that section.

mtbr member
    I have it externally routed in a very similar way to this

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    As much as I love my Jet9 RDO, and Niner Bikes in general, I have to say it kind of angers me that the first generation frames ever came with the original routing in the first place. Hard to believe they tested extensively. If they did, I can't understand how they ever thought it was good. This new set up looks like a major improvement. Wish I was buying a frame now and not last year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    As much as I love my Jet9 RDO, and Niner Bikes in general, I have to say it kind of angers me that the first generation frames ever came with the original routing in the first place. Hard to believe they tested extensively. If they did, I can't understand how they ever thought it was good. This new set up looks like a major improvement. Wish I was buying a frame now and not last year...
    I just bought one a month ago (Green 2013?). Took it out for the first time last weekend and just had shifting troubles all ride. I'm kicking myself now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I feel the same way. I am a huge Ninerd but wasnt too happy about spending what I did and then having to do the cable externally. When I get home tonight I'll take some pics of how I have it setup so people can give it a try if they want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just got off the phone with Niner. Check out pages 45/46 of their new manual:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

There's a new kit being released to run full housing on all existing Jet 9 RDO's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post
    Just got off the phone with Niner. Check out pages 45/46 of their new manual:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

There's a new kit being released to run full housing on all existing Jet 9 RDO's.
    I have a headbadge with cable stops. So, if I'm reading this correctly, I still go without housing until the BB and then use full housing through the chainstay instead of the most recent solution which required a 110m housing piece between the BB and swingarm, but then no housing until it exits the swingarm.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the 1st gen initial routing use housing from the BB to the rear der as they are now suggesting?

Confused.

Is there some new plastic thing ferrule/stop at the BB and chain stay to make this most recent fix work? Any idea when and how to get it from Niner?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm in the same situation as you -- headbadge with cable stops. I'll either drill it out or get a new headbadge when this kit becomes available.

I think you're right in your understanding of the encyclopedia -- full housing run from the BB to r.der -- however this looks different from the first gen set up. This has the "housing" shims that should keep the housing in place (thus preventing ghost shifting and sawing of the frame) and also this "plastic tube" which is presumably more flexible than regular shift housing (jamming super stiff housing into that tight space often caused kinks.)

I'm excited for this and also glad to see that Niner didn't leave the guinea pigs, I mean early customers, hanging.

Any word on when it will be available?

mtbr member
    Edit: Upon going back and re-reading it, I get it. You're installing the entire housing starting from the derailleur then out through the head badge - so it does look like you can run full housing and yet still have it internally in the frame. I actually like that.

I to would like to get this new kit since I am just building up my Jet 9 RDO now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Read it again. Specifically pages 45/46.

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I have a headbadge with cable stops. So, if I'm reading this correctly, I still go without housing until the BB and then use full housing through the chainstay instead of the most recent solution which required a 110m housing piece between the BB and swingarm, but then no housing until it exits the swingarm.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the 1st gen initial routing use housing from the BB to the rear der as they are now suggesting?

Confused.

Is there some new plastic thing ferrule/stop at the BB and chain stay to make this most recent fix work? Any idea when and how to get it from Niner?

As requested by a percentage of Niner Jet 9 RDO riders, we have developed a full cable routing option for the aluminum headbadge Jet 9 RDO. This option utilizes a simple PVC spacer to maintain the correct housing/cable placement under the bottom bracket, and eliminates issues of housing contamination for riders in challenging conditions.

Riders with the magnesium headbadge Jet 9 RDO, first generation frames with the stop built into the badge, and all Jet 9 RDO riders who do not want to run full length housing (as listed above) will also see significant benefits from this cable routing update. The PVC spacer maintains proper housing length under the bottom bracket, lengthens housing life and improves the performance of certain drivetrain systems.

This system is available to all owners of Jet 9 RDO frames for free from Niner Bikes. Email service@ninerbikes.com with the subject line Jet 9 Cable Routing update. Please include your serial number and mailing address in the body of the email and we will get it right out to you. You may also work with your local Niner dealer.

Installation instructions for this system are available here on pages 45-47. Please call or email us with any questions.

All future editions of the Jet 9 RDO and Jet 9 Carbon will move to the same cable routing as shown on the current RIP 9 RDO.

Thanks,
    Brad

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I emailed Niner my info this morning and had a response in under two hours that they were shipping out the new shift kit parts. This should work out perfectly with my XX1 conversion arriving next week.

I've had zero issues with the internal routing but less maintenance and smoother shifting is always appreciated.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have a V1 Niner Jet 9 RDO and hate the cable routing. It negatively impacts my shifting and it kind of suck. I found my shifting to be far more accurate on my Jet 9 alloy. I still maintain that internal cable routing a is a solution looking for a problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    V1.1 owner here. Currently running cables internal with the first shift kit they offered. I have mixed feelings. When its dialed in perfectly, it is impressive. After about 3 months, I did have one of the headbadge ferrules break/fail during a ride, which pulled the housing through it...lost the front der for the remainder of the ride. Not a huge deal, running a 2x crank and wasn't stranded..no need to try and fix on the trail.

Brought it to my lbs. They called niner (had them answer a few questions I had myself as well) who said it was just a faulty ferrule and wasn't a common problem. Replaced the ferrule and has worked fine so far. I still had to pay labor. Oddly enough, when I received the frame, the pre-installed internal cable liners were reversed, and the shop installed it the same way the liners were installed.

Basically, my right side shifter cable runs into the right headbadge opening/ left runs to left side. The niner manual says it is the incorrect way to do it. But when my shop called niner, they were told that it makes no difference if the cables are crossed at the headbadge, or not, both perform exactly the same, its been tested. So I left it as is since it would have cost me $ to reverse them and the bike is actually shifting better then ever. XTR der's, chain, & shifters, XT cassette, x9 bb30 cranks.

Normally, I would run all the cables myself. I've done it numerous times on hardtail and fs bikes, externally routed. After hearing how tedious this job would be, I just gave the business to the local shop. It sucks because this frame is awesome and easily one of the best available right now. They can be set up correctly...just involves some trial and error...and well worth it. They even have a new kit available to run full length housing. They obviously should have had this stuff figured out before launching the bikes, but at least they are sending us replacements without hassle.

If the new ferrule holds up, I'll probably run it this way for now. If it happens again, I'll try the full length option. But it's working perfect at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone install the new kit yet. I just put my order in. I hope it smooths out my shifting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What "new shift kit?" Haven't heard of this. Please post a link if you have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Anyone install the new kit yet. I just put my order in. I hope it smooths out my shifting.
    Works great! Smooths out shifting, eliminates cable wear and tear at the headbadge and at the bottom bracket cable chuck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    What "new shift kit?" Haven't heard of this. Please post a link if you have one.
    See above ^^^ it is all in the thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Stupid me! Thanks.

mtbr member
    I emailed them 3 days ago and already received my kit today in Florida. Awesome service. Now I just need to build the thing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast