mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Jet nine and Rip nine?

Looking at both of the frames. I know there is post somewhere here about the two frames but I can't find it. Is there a huge weight difference? Ride difference? I don't race. I just want a great riding tail bike that is very comfy. Thanks for any input.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

Approx 1,5 lb between the frames,I have both & the Rip9 is hands down the most fun ( IF ) you are brave enough to realy push it.

The Jet9 is a better climber & able to handle alot more than what most people would think & if weight worries you & you ride alot of flater trackes.

The Rip9 flys off things much better ( Like you can't get it wrong ) Don't get me wrong the Jet9 will do all that you ask but on fast down hill with the Rip9 feels like there is a big hand holding you on the track ( so much so that if you are not a brave down hiller it would feel boring.

The Jet9 feels more alive than the Rip9 on slow,med & semi fast but as you enter the very fast the Jet starts to feel a little out of control & the Rip9 will just eat it up.

I could talk about this for hours but it comes down what you want.

The jet9 will be a faster race bike but the Rip9 will lift your over all riding to limits that you didn't even dream of.

If they made a carbon Jet9 & a carbon Rip9 I would choose the carbon Rip9 for sure.

Feel free to ask any more questions you like;

Flaccid Member
    If it was just one Niner I could have, it would be the RIP. The bike is very confidence inspiring, flexes very little, and is a hard bike to grow out of, but a great bike to grow into, if that makes any sense to you. It is that good. I clean stuff on my RIP that I never dreamed of even trying on my old 26" FS bike.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I clean stuff on my RIP that I never dreamed of even trying on my old 26" FS bike.
    amen...i can't wait to go ride all of the trails i have ridden for years on 26" wheel and see how well my rip9 performs. it's an amazing climber...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    amen...i can't wait to go ride all of the trails i have ridden for years on 26" wheel and see how well my rip9 performs. it's an amazing climber...
    I often ride other peoples 26" bikes when thay take my bike for a ride,You want to see how much trouble you get into hopping off a Rip9 & getting on a lesser bike.

It feels like your in a pin ball machine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was in the same predicament, but after posting the same question I chose the Rip9. Couldn't be happier!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazn_84
    I chose the Rip9. Couldn't be happier!
    ^^^^this

mtbr member
    I was in the same predicament also...i had ridden the Rip a few times and really liked it but where I ride there is no need for that much travel I went with the Jet ......Its very smooth an amazing climber and quick I think a bit more nimble than the Rip....It really depends the type of trails you will be riding ...both are winners
    biking makes it better

Nompton, OK
    I was also in the same twist trying to decide between the two. I had the old jet and went to an Air while waiting for the replacement, and couldn't decide between building up the redone Jet, or building a Rip with most of the parts I had on the Air... I test rode a Rip, and have to agree with everyone, in that I was bombing over and through things I never would have attempted on the old Jet or Air, and it gave me a drive for seeking out the nastiest trail features I could (both a rush, and put myself in high risk).

BUT... I also felt it was heavier and a bit more sluggish, at least the way it was built, and the way I would be tempted to build the Rip = burly. And for my local trails (Central OK) it was a bit too much for my style of riding around these parts. That, and I had just gotten into racing and upping my speed/endurance, so I really enjoy the speed and quick feeling of the Jet, and am happy I went that way (I cant tell you how happy I am to have just that extra little bit of rear suspension over the Air) However there are people who have been racing their Rips in Central Oklahoma (BoomingSooner) who have nothing but great things to say about it, so it can certainly serve dual duty to an extent.

So it seems the Rip is and will always be the "Do All" bike to end all bikes, but for me personally, 'I wanna go fast' and the Jet makes me feel so. With that said, I still want to purchase a Rip someday.

My ultimate goal is to build up my Air super duper lightweight for short races, keep the Jet as is for endurance rides/races, and eventually buy a Rip for having fun blasting/bombing more difficult trails. We all need dreams right