mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Jet Carbon suspension question

I picked up a Niner Jet Carbon this January. Due to my schedule and winter lingering on, I was finally able to get out for a ride today. The bike is everything I expected and I am very happy with the purchase. Because this was my first ride, and my first FS bike, I planned to leave the rear suspension in trail mode to get a feel for how the bike handled. The trail mode left a little to be desired. It felt better than my old hard tail, but not worlds different. On the last downhill of the ride, I decided to flip it into descend mode just for giggles. What a difference! The bike went from good to great. Even the rooty ride back to the trailhead was fun.

My question is - is this amount of difference in ride quality to be expected between trail and descend mode? I need to get more rides in, but my trial of 1 suggests that descend mode feels much better, even on average trails and I would probably run the suspension in this mode most of the time. I have spent a lot of time getting the bike set up, and the rear sag is set at the Niner recommended pressure. To be fair, I could run the tires a little softer, which might make a difference.

I debated posting this in the suspension forum, so if this is the wrong place for this question, my apologies.

Overall, the bike was awesome today. Even with the suspension issues, it handled great and climbed well. I am usually the last one on the downhills and I was able to keep up today, which says more about the bike than me.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the shock on the non RDO version of the jet9 carbon, but my guess is that descend mode is similar to running with pro-pedal off on an rp23 . Most people ride in Open mode all the time. Climb is only typically used on fire roads, the street....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Place shock in D, set sag to 25% using full riding gear body weight, go over a 6" inch curb and make adjustments to rebound knob until there is one bounce of movement after the curb. Write shock pressure and knob settings down, keep info safe, go ride and never touch a knob again unless something changes like body weight or a shock service. D is best for most rides and riders on a Jet RDO. IMHO Trail mode adds negative feedback on squared edged bumps. Climb mode is painful when you forget to turn it off.
    Last edited by PB Matrix; 04-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.