mtbr member

Jet 9 vs RIP 9 weight

Based on what I've read in this forum the weight difference b/t a Large Jet and Rip is only 1lb?

mtbr member
    That assumes you'll use the same parts, which you wouldn't want to do.

JET cries out for weight weenie builds. RIP definitely does not.

COMBO - President
    Difference is 1.3 lbs, as for what your build difference may be it depends..

XT end to end is fine for many
    Stans Arch rims are fine for many
    Decent but not super expensive other hardware can pull duty on either bike.

I don't buy the argument that the RIP has to be built burly or the JET super light. It just depends on who the rider is and where and how they ride it.
    Last edited by FASTK; 10-01-2010 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have both. Frame weight difference is about 1.25lbs.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

I like the RIP way better as I have owned both. The extra weight is not noticeable.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    Difference is 1.3 lbs, as for what your build difference may be it depends..

XT end to end is fine for many
    Stans Arch rims are fine for many
    Decent but not super expensive other hardware cane pull duty on either bike.

I don't buy the argument that the RIP has to be built burly or the JET super light. It just depends on who the rider is and where and how they ride it.
    I'm with you on the way you build the bikes,You build them to how you ride not to the scales.

My Rip9 & jet9 are built much the same.

mtbr member
    I wasn't laying down the law or anything. Just saying IMO it's usually best to build to a frame's intent to get the most out of it, that's all.

For example, a buddy at work with a WFO that's trying to lighten it up to keep up with the little guys on hard tails on fairly mellow XC stuff. He's still not keeping up with them, and now he's breaking parts when he's hitting the really rough stuff. He's fighting the frame.

He'd be better off with two bikes of significantly different specs. In my humble opinion, for what it's worth, etc.

muzzanic - Curious. How are the RIP and JET that much different that it's worth having both even with such similar builds?

Carbon & Ti rule
    muzzanic - Curious. How are the RIP and JET that much different that it's worth having both even with such similar builds?

I have never said it is worth it.

Well if you were to ride a RIP9 at 80% like I'm guessing that some people do,The bike would feel abit dead & thus they would feel much better on the Jet9.

IMHO the Rip9 at full flight is a wonderfull thing & just keeps the smiles coming.

I often get off the Rip9 shaking my head & thinking wow what a bike ( & I have had it a year now )

When one does XC (xtreme care ) you need something like the Jet9 just to light it up abit so you don't fall asleep.

There is not much between the Rip9 & Jet9 for XC but there is when it comes to high speed down hill,I'm not saying that the Jet9 not good at this but I am say the Rip9 is stunning down hill if you have the nuts to ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So Muzzanic, would you say the Jet 9 would be "faster" timewise on a cross country race course? I have a RIP 9 which I love. The trails I ride are rocky and rough. I have a Lynskey Pro 29er which I occassionally race and it beats me to death on the rocky trails in my area. I am sure the Lynskey will be great on smoother courses and the fire road climbs which are often times found in races. I am considering getting a Jet 9 for race purposes and getting rid of the Lynksey. Thoughts?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi Yes Time wise yes it will be faster on a XC corse,

It is also quite quick in rough rooty stuff.

I have the Sram XX fork with T/A on my Jet9 & it just finishes the bike IMO,It lets you realy attack tracks ,With my fox fork I just didn't bother locking it out for anything other than long climbs but with the XX whin on the attack I even lock it for 20 foot long steepish rises.

There is good speed to be had out of the Jet9 & it is faster on XC tracks that the Rip9 but not as much as the feel of the bike would make you think,but I can see how a XC rider would have more fun on the Jet9 than the Rip9 if they were a sub 200 Lb person.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Funny you mention that. I am 190 and certainly 200 with camelbak and all gear. Would this enter into the equation? Can the Jet handle a fairly fast 200 pounder with no issues? I have all of the parts to swap out from the Lynskey to the Jet and can probably break even on the frame trade out. I am doing a fairly smooth 12 hour race this weekend and plan to race mostly on the Lynksey although I may bring the Rip for comparison purposes.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy
    Funny you mention that. I am 190 and certainly 200 with camelbak and all gear. Would this enter into the equation? Can the Jet handle a fairly fast 200 pounder with no issues? I have all of the parts to swap out from the Lynskey to the Jet and can probably break even on the frame trade out. I am doing a fairly smooth 12 hour race this weekend and plan to race mostly on the Lynksey although I may bring the Rip for comparison purposes.
    Hi you will be fine,I just have a pet hate with the fact that there is alot of 230Lb + people wanting to ride the ruff & want to buy the Jet because it is 1.3 Lb lighter.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm 285 (only about 40 of that is fat, I'm built like a football player), and the RIP is perfect for me. Front through axle, rear Maxle, super burly MTX33 wheels...thing rides like it's on rails. It's basically the best XC bike I could have bought.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Yeah, I'm 285 (only about 40 of that is fat, I'm built like a football player), and the RIP is perfect for me. Front through axle, rear Maxle, super burly MTX33 wheels...thing rides like it's on rails. It's basically the best XC bike I could have bought.
    Yes & thats what i'm saying,For a big powerfull guy the Rip9 still works as a great XC bike that can do almost everything else.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have replaced jet 9 frame with Rip 9. Riding and racing on it all season. I'm 160lb. In my opinion Rip9 is better frame and if you want have one bike this one is to have. Highly recommended

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Robson13
    I have replaced jet 9 frame with Rip 9. Riding and racing on it all season. I'm 160lb. In my opinion Rip9 is better frame and if you want have one bike this one is to have. Highly recommended
    1st did you have the new jet9 ?

I'm the same,if your not racing & only have 1 bike the Rip9 will have you covered.

That said if you are a racer & do race often the Jet9 will also cover as a 1 bike does all.

They are both good bikes & I think if your supper brave & or over 200 lb go with the Rip9

If you are under 200 lb & not a speed demon,go with the Jet9.

If you are over 200 lb I am not saying for a minute that you will brake the Jet9 just that I think you will like the Rip9 better.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did have old jet and it was so so. I switched to RIP frame under recall program and this was the best decision. I have no doubt new jet is much better now but i can't justify having two full suspension bikes. I would like to have carbon HT but have no coin for it right now...

I do race on it. I'm running 1x9 with 30t ring and I weight 160lb so I'm fine. Won one race this season and ended up on podium 3 times.

I always say, it's not the bike....

Carbon & Ti rule
    I did have old jet and it was so so. I switched to RIP frame under recall program and this was the best decision. I have no doubt new jet is much better now but i can't justify having two full suspension bikes. I would like to have carbon HT but have no coin for it right now...

I do race on it. I'm running 1x9 with 30t ring and I weight 160lb so I'm fine. Won one race this season and ended up on podium 3 times.

I always say, it's not the bike....
    Yes its all about the motor.I have always thought that the Rip9 is much faster at XC than most would think.

I think most of our trails must be alot smoother & faster,with 1x9 & 30 up front over here you wouldn't see were the fast guys went.

I have both the Jet & the Rip & like both of them alot but the Jet cant put as big a smile on my face as what the Rip9 can.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic

I think most of our trails must be alot smoother & faster,with 1x9 & 30 up front over here you wouldn't see were the fast guys went.
    Where I ride 1x9 with 30t it's perfect. Lot's of rocky climbing and very technical trails.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Where I ride 1x9 with 30t it's perfect. Lot's of rocky climbing and very technical trails.
    Down here I'm liking the 2 x 10 ( Jet9 30/39 & Rip9 26/39 ) & on both bikes I would do approx 95 % in the big ring.

Most trails I would go over 40kmph ( 25mph ) & some 58kmph ( 36 mph ) & find a slower cadence easyer when throwing the bike from side to side on our forest tracks that don't really have any strights.