Thread: Jet 9 vs. Rip 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Jet 9 vs. Rip 9

So kids, for all who have ridden these bad boys - how do grade the rider position of these bikes? I for one prefer the rip as you seem to sit inside the bike vs on top of the bike - rider size is important as i am 6'3" - could never get the Jet dialed in for me... played with bars, stems, offsets... you name it - I did it.....What say You, would love to hear what the rank and file have to say...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6 ft & have owned the Jet9 & Rip9 & can't see why someone couldn't get either to fit right, If they had brought the right size bike in the 1st place.

What are you wanting to use the bike for & what frame size did you go for ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No brother - I was asking how do folks compare the rider position of these 2 bikes - and I get the fact they are different..but we are not talking night and day here - they are very close in Gemo...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo61 View Post
    No brother - I was asking how do folks compare the rider position of these 2 bikes - and I get the fact they are different..but we are not talking night and day here - they are very close in Gemo...
    Yes but without saying what you are using the bike for & what size bike you use, No one can help you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    PHP Code:
     You missed the point nevermind I'm not looking for help I have a rip now I don't have the jet Anymore it doesn't really matter 
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes but without saying what you are using the bike for & what size bike you use, No one can help you.

Carbon & Ti rule
    PHP Code:
     You missed the point nevermind I'm not looking for help I have a rip now I don't have the jet Anymore it doesn't really matter 
    You didn't have a point !!

You had a bike that was set up wrong & you wouldn't say what or how.

What model Jet9 was it ? What model Rip9 did you go to ?

What set up do you have on your Rip9 ?

mtbr member

Jet 9 vs. Rip 9

Ill say, my Jet 9 RDO, I feel more "on top" of my bike, set up the same as the RIP9 RDO where I feel more "inside" it, and more "a part" of it. Only difference is fork size.. 120 vs 140.

Just my opinion..

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Ill say, my Jet 9 RDO, I feel more "on top" of my bike, set up the same as the RIP9 RDO where I feel more "inside" it, and more "a part" of it. Only difference is fork size.. 120 vs 140.

Just my opinion..
    Thank you - that is what I was asking - how you you folks feel about being perched on either of these bikes comfort, feel, ride ability control and so on...... Amen, pass the nuts.

mtbr member

Jet 9 vs. Rip 9

For me, I think the disadvantages, and advantages come with the function of the bike. Jet, I feel more perched, in attack position.. Perfect for hitting any quick changes, uphills, accelerating, and switchbacks..

The RIP is just an all around ripper.. I can manual easier, get off the ground better, I feel tight, and low. Makes you change position a bit on the uphills, but pointed down, I have no fear.. With the little more slack, and wheel out in front, I don't worry about much.. I feel more in control.

Again, that's just me.. I've ridden both back to back a number of times over the last couple weeks.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thank you - that is what I was asking - how you you folks feel about being perched on either of these bikes comfort, feel, ride ability control and so on...... Amen, pass the nuts.
    I'm not trying to be smart, I'm trying to help.

But with the info you have supplied all I can say is glade you like your new bike.

The bottom bracket on the Rip9's what ever 1 you have is higher than the Jet9's so to some degree the Rip9 should feel more on top with the same setup.

I have my Jet9 & Rip9 cockpit set up much the same & don't feel that much different, Just further back.

I also feel further back on the Rip9 RDO than I do on the Old Rip9 Alloy, But the 2013 Rip9 Alloy would feel the same as the Rip9 RDO.

My Jet9 RDO & Jet9 Carbon,does feel different to the Alloy Jet9.

This is why I asked what bike you had

Always Learning
    So kids, for all who have ridden these bad boys - how do grade the rider position of these bikes? I for one prefer the rip as you seem to sit inside the bike vs on top of the bike - rider size is important as i am 6'3" - could never get the Jet dialed in for me... played with bars, stems, offsets... you name it - I did it.....What say You, would love to hear what the rank and file have to say...
    In terms of the alloy versions of both....

Same height as you - both bikes are size XL.

Same BB to top of saddle height. Same bar to nose/rear of saddle reach. Same crank arm length (180mm). Similar stems and bars on both, but a bit different (sweep and width are different as is the stem length).

P1010066

XCRIP9Tires

JET profile 2012

RacingJET

My riding position feels very similar on both. The amount of travel is the big difference in feel for me as is the burly stiff frame of the RIP over the more whippy JET.

Racing on the RIP last summer...

Rockin'TheRip9

Racong on the JET early this spring with the photographer taking the same picture in nearly the same spot on the course this year...

Psycowpath #1 - Swanson

I found it very easy to set both bikes up to a similar fit and feel in terms of rider position.

BB