mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Jet 9 thru axle conversion

Good evening,

I知 enjoying my new used Jet 9 aluminum bike and looking at upgrade options. A local Jet 9 authority tells me to convert my Crest/Hope Pro2 EVOs to allow a 9/10mm thru axle. Plenty of info can be found but not much specific to the Jet 9.

I知 taking my guys advice to order the conversion kit. Just wondering what advantages can be expected with the ride. I do have the most resent version of the aluminum Jet 9 frame, if that makes any difference...

Thanks!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you do have the EVO hubs you will only need the 10mm Thru bolt end caps & then you can run RWS 10mm Skewer or a NC-17 10mm skewer.

Very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Good evening,

I知 enjoying my new used Jet 9 aluminum bike and looking at upgrade options. A local Jet 9 authority tells me to convert my Crest/Hope Pro2 EVOs to allow a 9/10mm thru axle. Plenty of info can be found but not much specific to the Jet 9.

I知 taking my guys advice to order the conversion kit. Just wondering what advantages can be expected with the ride. I do have the most resent version of the aluminum Jet 9 frame, if that makes any difference...

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Muzzanic. I'm clear on the process. Just wondering how much difference will be noticed in regards to the ride quality.

I ordered the 10mm and 9mm end caps along with RWS skewers from my LBS like two weeks ago.

Hope to try them out by the weekend.

Thanks again.

Carbon & Ti rule
    They will help a little bit but the Crests flex quite a bit IMO & stronger skewers won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Thanks Muzzanic. I'm clear on the process. Just wondering how much difference will be noticed in regards to the ride quality.

I ordered the 10mm and 9mm end caps along with RWS skewers from my LBS like two weeks ago.

Hope to try them out by the weekend.

Thanks again.

trail "cleaner"
    yep, Muzz is right.... the Crest wheelset will have a larger effect of flex than the QR's...
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    They will help a little bit but the Crests flex quite a bit IMO & stronger skewers won't change that.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Have a 2012 Jet 9 RDO with CK laced to Stan's Arch. If I wanted to go the end cap route, what would I need for the conversion on the CK? This is for the rear hub.

trail "cleaner"
    For CK hubs... I would suggest one of two options for maximum stiffness out of the rear axle. 1. order the CK HD axle with 'fun bolts'. 2. order the CK 10mm thru axle and order a Hadley 10mm axle. I use both on my bikes and the Hadley thru axle is easiest/quickest way (6mm hex wrench) to change/remove the wheel while providing great stiffness.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm running the thru axles now. Got 20 miles of fast trail on them yesterday. I'd say that Muzz was right on. I noticed that when coming down hard and turning quickly at the same time the bike seems to respond just a little crisper.

My XX1 group came in today. It'll probably make a bigger difference!!!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What would be the difference between the CK 135 x 10 mm thru axle kit with Hadley 10mm bolt and just machining the 135 QR end cap to except the 10mm bolt?

Already have the parts on order, just wondering?