mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Jet 9 Shock bolts

I recently purchased a used Jet 9 and have focused on getting it tuned up properly. While installing the new seal kit on the rear shock I noticed that the attach bolts are rather odd. I think they may be the wrong ones. The top bolt appears to be too short. It doesnít thread all the way to the outer edge of the bracket. Also, the shocks top pivot point is actually pivoting on some of the threads. Again indicating that the bolt is too short. It seems to me that the shock should have only the smooth shank of the bolt inside the eye of the shock and not any threads. My shock has a few threads inside the pivot point. Enough threads are inside to leave small indentions inside the shocks eyelet.

I doubt the shock has been off the bike previously. The Niner site says the bolts should be 21.86M x M6 what ever that means? It also implies that both the shock bolt should be the same size. My bolts are different lengths.

If anyone has experience with this matter I would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance..

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The shock mounting spacer width is 21.8mm (22mm) and the bolt is M6 as in 6mm diameter x whatever length. You could purchase a longer top bolt if you wish. Shock bolts are probably available from Niner or you can find stainless metric bolts at ACE hardware or similar. The stock bolt is entirely threaded.

If there is a lot of wear to the silver alloy spacers you might want to think about purchasing new mounting spacers and eyelet bushings. Those are a wear item and need to be replaced occasionally. While the mounting spacers are out you should investigate the bushing inside the shock eyelet, the silver alloy spacers should fit very snuggly into the bushing and be quite difficult/impossible to rotate by hand and should not come out easily.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks JMH! That was very a helpful. I pulled the shock for inspection and found part of the problem was a simple washer issue. Also talked with a local tech that gave me the exact answer as you about the threads. Strange that Niner would use entirely threaded bolts but it obviously works well. I ran it over 60mi this week without any suspension issues.

Itís my first Niner so itís taking a little effort to familiarize.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The shock does not pivot on the bolt. There bolt holds the bushings in place. It would be nice but not necessary to have shorter threads
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    All bicycle bolts are metric. I to have found it strange that they (bolt manufactures) do not offer bolts with the proper grip length. They are almost always fully threaded. The only time you get grip length is in longer bolts, but then again the grip length is wrong. You have a bearing and/or bushing riding on some threads.

Grip length is the unthreaded area between the head of the bolt and the start of your threads.

I work on large commercial aircraft and can get Ti Boeing bolts but they are fractional bolts with fractional threads (8-32,10-32 etc).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi jet9rdopilot,

I worked on heavy jets for about 20 years myself. Yes, Iím an A&P but Iíve not had the opportunity to work much with bikes. As you know, airplanes donít have metric hardware so that leaves me a bit challenged in regards to my bike hardware. Actually, my previous aircraft maintenance experience is what made me question the threads on the bolts in the first place. That would have never passed inspection! Itís not a problem on the bike though. Now that I know my bolts are normal for the bike Iím fine with it. The bolt doesnít actually pivot inside the bushing and the busing itself cost about 3 bucks so Iím okay with that also. Wish I still had access to those primo hardware bins but Iím pretty much out of the mx business these days.

Thanks,