Always Learning

JET 9/RIP 9: 2nd bottle cage on the underside of the downtube?

Has anyone ever used the 2nd bottle cage slot on the underside of the downtube on a JET 9 or RIP 9? I installed one this morning on the underside of the RIP thinking I could keep my multi-hour Perpetuem bottle down there for the upcoming Dakota Five-0. I can reach it with my long arms, and if I really crane my neck I can get the bottle back in the cage while keeping my eye on the singletrack - but it's a stretch for sure.

My concern is that the bottom of the cage seems to sit lower than the CVA pivot and I fear in a technical section of rocks or logs I could knock into the cage during the race. It's certainly the lightest, cheapest and easiest solution for a 2nd bottle.

Other solutions would be to wear a Camelbak or Racebak for water...

I tried my smallest Camelbak last night in a 34 mile training ride, but I'm not a fan of sweating on the back so much and I was really having trouble getting enough flow out of the silly hose while on the bike. Not if I stopped and used 2 hands, but I felt like I was sucking hard enough to move a bowling ball through the hose and all that came out was a sip. I know I was out of breath from the pace I was keeping, but I can't have that kind of effort required during the race.

Or use a Mountain Feedbag for a 2nd bottle up at the bars (I would just use one, not 2 as pictured)...

Mountain Feedbags

Or go whole hog and get the VelEau 42 hydration system...

Saddle Bag hydration

Anyway, back to the thought at hand - 2nd bottle cage and bottle doable on the RIP/JET?

TIA

BB

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I own and use a veleau for this exact purpose. Its not great for really technical singletrack because you cant get back as easily but its awesome for everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    I've used the bottom cage for years and never had an issue.

lamer
    I have a Veleau on my road bike, and I absolutely love it. I hate bottles with a passion, but having a hydration pack on my back on long road rides is somewhat annoying, so it's a great alternative. I had thought about trying one on my mtn bike, but until PeopleForScience mentioned it I had honestly never thought about the fact that it sits right up on your ass, making it impossible to get off the back of the seat. There goes that idea. It would be nice to get the pack off my back, but I won't go to bottles, and more importantly, I've gotten used to being able to carry all of the supplies I need in the pack, including a first-aid kit.

mtbr member
    I'm building a Jet 9 right now, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to find a water bottle cage that is sturdy enough to hold a water bottle on the downtube (and also be light as well).

But I'm very comfortable with my camelbak, you may want to try out a newer generation bladder, they are pretty good with flow. I can drink mine very comfortably, I just did a 50 miler with my camelbak charge 240, with a 70 oz. bladder and two water bottles on my hardtail, I had more than enough fluids, I plan on doing an 80 mile race with just the camelbak and one bottle. Good luck

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Feedbag is awesome except you have to stop to get product out of it or it falls out. I have one and fill it with broken up bars. I eat a ton of it. Jet 9 RDO is better than a Jet 9 alloy for room for a water bottle but not much better. I have also wondered about a water bolt on the downtube.

mtbr member
    I use it on my 2010 Jet 9. No problems, except it gets dirty and covered in dust.
    -boom

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I'm building a Jet 9 right now, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to find a water bottle cage that is sturdy enough to hold a water bottle on the downtube (and also be light as well).

But I'm very comfortable with my camelbak, you may want to try out a newer generation bladder, they are pretty good with flow. I can drink mine very comfortably, I just did a 50 miler with my camelbak charge 240, with a 70 oz. bladder and two water bottles on my hardtail, I had more than enough fluids, I plan on doing an 80 mile race with just the camelbak and one bottle. Good luck
    I managed to get my Camelbak working this afternoon. I must have had a kink in the tube down in the pack itself. Now that it is working, I'm still debating on this 2nd bottle option to keep the pack off of my back for the 50 miles race.

BB

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Feedbag is awesome except you have to stop to get product out of it or it falls out. I have one and fill it with broken up bars. I eat a ton of it. Jet 9 RDO is better than a Jet 9 alloy for room for a water bottle but not much better. I have also wondered about a water bolt on the downtube.
    Doesn't the feedbag take a bottle? I was hoping it did, but I think I have access to try one out next week (a fellow cyclist where I live has 2 of them he can loan me to test out next week).

BB

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    I've used the bottom cage for years and never had an issue.
    Do you use a bottle with some sort of flip-top to protect the mouthpiece from dust and in my case at the Dakota Five-0 - manure?

If I do the 2 bottle system with my primary source of calories being the Perpetuem stored in the lower cage, I'll need a solution that keeps the bottle's mouthpiece clean from the cattle and horse droppings. Dust I can live with, but not the animal feces...

And you have not had any problems whacking the cage on an obstacle?

BB

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You could put a water bottle in a feedbag; however, the bottle might flop around on your bars with that much weight. I have never tried. I only use in long races.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Would the specialized seat post bottle cage mount work for you bb?

Twin Six METAL Team
    I use Bontrager RL cages with Camelbak Podium bottles on my RIP, and I've never had an issue with bottles falling out. The bottle on the down tube does get muddy, but I picked up some CamelBak mud caps that solved that problem!