mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Jet 9 Rear Suspension Squeek

Getting a squeek in the rear suspension but haven't even tried to find it. That would take away from riding time. Has anyone else experienced this and diagnosed it? I'd sure appreciate some suggestions.

mtbr member
    i hope someone chimes in here... i used to have this with my old jet, but not yet with the new one, knock on wood.... However, with the old Jet, I would put a small drop of lube on the pivot I thought was making the racket, ride, and repeat to find the offending pivot... Anyone else have any better suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the squeak on my new ride. I removed all the linkage bolts and lubed them up. Some were so hard to get out I'm not sure how they got them to go in.

I used the Triflow clear grease and put them back on the bike. No noise now and very smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have had a few rattlers on my new jet, but they have all been traced to various parts (not the frame).
    I had a wheel problem (lose piece of weld in rim), spacer creaking, and today I finally isolated and fixed a very annoying seat post creaking.
    I love the handling of my new Jet.

MTB B'dos
    I'll get flamed for my continuing nagging on Niner, but I really don't give a flying fcuk. If the bolts were that hard to come out make sure that the frame alignment is on, as that could well be a sign of misalignment. Although this production run someone was over there to do QC stuff may still have gotten through. I have found that alignment can be off on them by a little bit to a whole lot. Easiest way to check is to take off the lower rockers and see how the frame lines up with only the top rockers holding the fron and rear tris together.

Quote Originally Posted by bike29er
    I had the squeak on my new ride. I removed all the linkage bolts and lubed them up. Some were so hard to get out I'm not sure how they got them to go in.

I used the Triflow clear grease and put them back on the bike. No noise now and very smooth.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

29ers Only.
    LynX,

Always jumping to the conclusion we're doing something wrong. Dude, seriously, chill.

the reason the pivot bolts are difficult to remove is because we use blue lock tight on them, and they dry in their respective threads, and it's pretty tight. We don't want them to loosen up. So, we'd get flack from you for bad QC if our pivot bolts just started backing themselves out of the pivots mid ride, and we get flack from you for bad QC because we actually take steps to prevent this.

Get the facts straight first, then flame.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

24-36-48
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    LynX,

Always jumping to the conclusion we're doing something wrong. Dude, seriously, chill.

the reason the pivot bolts are difficult to remove is because we use blue lock tight on them, and they dry in their respective threads, and it's pretty tight. We don't want them to loosen up. So, we'd get flack from you for bad QC if our pivot bolts just started backing themselves out of the pivots mid ride, and we get flack from you for bad QC because we actually take steps to prevent this.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

MTB B'dos
    Wasn't flaming, was stating facts. My bolts have blue locktight and I wouldn't describe them as bein uber hard to remove EXCEPT when I go to remove the first to the rear tri after undoing the shock mounting, or when re-assembling and putting back in the last bolt, then if I've forgotten to leave the rest loose it's a bit of a PITA because the triangles are about 1/8th off in alignment which causes the trinagles to twist too much if you don't get all bolts caught first before doing final tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    LynX,

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

had the squeak, found the problem

I had some pretty nasty squeaking in the linkage after a few rides.

I isolated the noise to the top rocker interface to the top of the fox RP23. Pulled bolt at the interface, cleaned all of the parts really well, greasing it up and put it back together. Its been quiet ever since.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mine just started squeaking on my 3rd ride. I never had any noise with the old frame. I haven't pinpointed the location, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to just take it all apart, clean and lube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    is that the 2010 model, do you ride in wet conditions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2010 - yeap.

I generally don't ride in wet conditions but do hose the thing off after every ride, being careful not to blast in the wrong place.

Everytime I go for a ride ride I think..."I could skip this ride and try and find the noise or head out to the trails and ignore the squeak". I like riding the bike so much that in this case the squeaky wheel is not getting the oil.

30-ton War Machine
    Mine creaks and squeaks like a banshee getting sodomized by Thor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I finally took apart the linkage and cleaned and greased the pivots and the dreaded creaks are gone. I'm fairly certain it was assembled dry, no sign of lube.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by threefive
    I finally took apart the linkage and cleaned and greased the pivots and the dreaded creaks are gone. I'm fairly certain it was assembled dry, no sign of lube.
    My new JET squeaked out of the box. A little squirt here and there and the squeaking went away. I didn't do anything drastic like take things apart, lube and reassemble. Just squirted directly from the exterior all pivots. Silent ever since....

BB

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    My new JET squeaked out of the box. A little squirt here and there and the squeaking went away. I didn't do anything drastic like take things apart, lube and reassemble. Just squirted directly from the exterior all pivots. Silent ever since....

BB
    Bruce,

On my 3 months old 2010 Jet 9 the mechanic had found out the reason - one of the linkage bolts was not tightened well... Now, I am not sure how this had happened, but I would expect not to have this issue on a brand new frame...

That said, the mechanic had pointed out this is common for him to remedy and not only on the Jet9 frame.

Just my 2c. And by the way, it's just drove me insane when riding.

Ofir

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by blaadd
    Bruce,

On my 3 months old 2010 Jet 9 the mechanic had found out the reason - one of the linkage bolts was not tightened well... Now, I am not sure how this had happened, but I would expect not to have this issue on a brand new frame...

That said, the mechanic had pointed out this is common for him to remedy and not only on the Jet9 frame.

Just my 2c. And by the way, it's just drove me insane when riding.

Ofir
    My original JET had the problem of me having to tighten the linkage bolts from time to time. Not this new one, though. Suckers are tight. A little lube stopped the squeaking and I haven't heard a peep since.

But I'm with you that it could be caused by the scenario you point out for some.

BB

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 2010 Jet 9 didn't sqeak at all, just went to rattling noise towards the end of the 20km shakedown ride. After the ride I noticed the top rocker has some vertical play around the center bolt.

Anyone know the torque settings for the bolts?

Flaccid Member
    Probably 12 to 15 ft lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

The squeak is back...

The squeak is back again and louder than ever. Everything was disassembled again, lubed, etc. only to still have it. It only occurs in propedal.

I did notice that the linkage has started to wear groves on the frame. Seems like a spacer/washer is needed between the linkage and the frame to prevent this. Maybe the linkage rubbing on the frame is the cause for the squeak?

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Probably 12 to 15 ft lbs.
    Correct that to more like 65 to 75 in /lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The squeak is back again and louder than ever. Everything was disassembled again, lubed, etc. only to still have it. It only occurs in propedal.

I did notice that the linkage has started to wear groves on the frame. Seems like a spacer/washer is needed between the linkage and the frame to prevent this. Maybe the linkage rubbing on the frame is the cause for the squeak?
    After looking at my son's new JET I can see that Niner has placed washers between the frame and linkage. I have two replacement JETs and neither have the same setup as the new JET.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    After looking at my son's new JET I can see that Niner has placed washers between the frame and linkage. I have two replacement JETs and neither have the same setup as the new JET.
    any chance you can snap a picture of each side of the new Jet and post them here?

If washers are needed, I want to see where and how big.

Thanks!