Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Did you guys use a tool to put the PF30 in the BB?

this is what mine looks

I used a Park HHP-2 headset press

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wow that sucker's 160 bucks going to have the bike shop do it

mtbr member
    First time on dirt the other day, so here's the ride report:

This is my first 29er, my first carbon mtb frame and wheels, and my first 1x drivetrain. A lot of changes all at once. But holy cow, how stoked I am with it all. The Jet9 is ridiculously stiff and light, and super quiet. I was trying different climbing styles to see what I liked best on the bike, and everything was awesome. Stand and mash or sit and spin, it just wanted to go faster. I used the firm propedal settings on the way up and could get the frame to move when I stood, but not by much. The technical climbs (mostly babyhead cobbles on steep grades) were cake. I went with a 100mm fork, and liked how stuck down the front end felt on steep climbs.

Descending was even more eye-opening. I have a 5.5" all mountain bike, and the Jet9 felt almost as plush on the down. I can see why folks are pairing up 120mm forks on this frame. But I liked the quick steering and racier feel of the 100. Over time, and depending on how much I start using this bike as my trail bike as opposed to a race bike, I may experiment with the 120. But overall, day-um. Fast.

I'm running xx1 with the standard 32 tooth front, and found the gearing to be fine for the ride I was on. I used the 32x10 on the fire roads and descents, and only used the 42 on one short steep section (40%). I didn't feel limited on the low end, but I can see a need for some top end for races where the courses won't be technical or super steep. Coupled with the fact that I'd probably have dismounted the steep section to jog it (I wanted to see how low the gearing felt), I'm putting a 36 on order. I imagine I'll end up with three or four front rings over time that I can swap out, which is the beauty of the system. Otherwise, the performance of the drivetrain w perfect. No ghost shifts, and it's remarkably quiet on the way downhill, no chainslap.

So, I knew I'd love this bike as I was building it up since I was seriously upgrading in most categories, but I didn't realize HOW much it would all add up. I'm still nervous about sending a rock into the down tube, but I didn't think about that once on the ride itself. All I could think about was how absolutely right the bike felt. Nimble, plush and fast all at once.

For context, here's the terrain:
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | As the snow flies near Lakewood | Times and Records | Strava
    Last edited by DLine; 03-24-2013 at 02:43 PM.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Nice report!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    RDO nice bike, xx1 is sweet plenty of gears. Anyone know how to lock out rear and Fox CTD to stand up and mash. CTD and pro pedal suppose to know and lock out on it's own but it doesn't. My 2012 fox fork had a lockout the new 2013 doesn't.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven

Anyone have problems with the XX1 chains? I'm a Clydesdale on a JET 9 Carbon and considering the XX1 but have seen some discouraging reports about breaking chains and wanted to ask this group.

On my SRAM 2x10 I'm a fan of the KMC chains and I hope they (and others) eventually get offer XX1 compatible chains.

Bryce

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    wow that sucker's 160 bucks going to have the bike shop do it
    I've been looking at this one, but have no experience with it. Anyone else?

Park Tool Co. HHP-3 : Home Mechanic Bearing Cup Press : Headset

$60 or so on Amazon

mtbr member

big boy

Quote Originally Posted by tall_bryce View Post
    Anyone have problems with the XX1 chains? I'm a Clydesdale on a JET 9 Carbon and considering the XX1 but have seen some discouraging reports about breaking chains and wanted to ask this group.

On my SRAM 2x10 I'm a fan of the KMC chains and I hope they (and others) eventually get offer XX1 compatible chains.

Bryce

no issues here with several hundred miles, including steep fire roads. I've never had a problem with the 1091r chain either.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you are going to go that way you can buy some threaded rod 2 big washers a couple of nuts for about $10

A good set has plugs so it lines it up in the middle, This helps it go in square.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I've been looking at this one, but haveo no experience with it. Anyone else?

Park Tool Co. HHP-3 : Home Mechanic Bearing Cup Press : Headset

$60 or so on Amazon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5