Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule
    If you did go 156q you can get 1mm back with a pedal washer & up to 3mm out of your cleats anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm only 5'9" so not sure which Q would fit me best? I'll have to measure my current bikes and see what they are. I know my Jet9 is 166Q, but no idea on cyclocross or rigid bike? I like the idea of narrower cranks during turns as we have a lot of tight, twisty sections on our race courses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm only 5'9" so not sure which Q would fit me best? I'll have to measure my current bikes and see what they are. I know my Jet9 is 166Q, but no idea on cyclocross or rigid bike? I like the idea of narrower cranks during turns as we have a lot of tight, twisty sections on our race courses.
    I'm running 156Q as well and like the narrower Q-factor compared to my XT cranks I removed. I've had zero heal clearance issues with size 45 shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    Ok in truth I've had this for a little while, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. I actually had it set up 2x10, but had so much flex when I was mashing real hard I couldn't keep the chain on the big ring. Anyway, swapped over to XX1 and am hooked. Definitely going to be expensive trying to convert the other horses in my stable.

XL White Jet 9 RDO
    Fox Float 120mm, Maxle
    SRAM XX1 Drivetrain (BB30 Q168 & trigger shift)
    Shimano XTR 988 Trail Brakeset
    American Classic MTB Wheelset
    Schwalbe Ron & Ralph
    Niner Flat Top Bar, ESI Chunky Grips
    Niner RDO Stem 110mm
    Kind Shock Supernatural Seatpost 150mm drop, 435mm overall
    Forte Pro SL Saddle
    Shimano XT Pedals
    26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)
    Sick build homie! Youre not stealing anyone's thunder - you just have damn fine taste.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So, I now have to say Ive officially had an issue with xx1. When I balled up my wheels on a big drop, turns out i broke my cassette as well. When my mechanic removed it to rebuild my trashed rim, it came off in two pieces. The shop said sram would warranty it...but they are backordered through the end of april. Just so happens a local guy had an extra, which he is giving me in return for the other when it comes.

I will be interested to see if this is an issue more people run into, or if it was a self contained case of stupidity. If the cassettes are prone to breaking, it is nice of sram to warranty that.

mtbr member
    That it crazy. I've had two XX cassettes and never came close to breaking anything on them. I can say that I've broken an XTR cassettes though, but that was due to the thin titanium cogs. Anyway, wonder if you hit it on a rock and/or they broke it removing it from the wheel???

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Palmares, where did it break? Any pics of it?
    I was going to go with the xx1 group for my new Jet RDO build but I am patiently waiting to hear more ride reports and/or issues. I am not in too big a hurry to build the bike up hence the waiting and to see if Shimano comes out with a similar group.
    It's perplexing to wonder that by manufacturing parts to be lightweight that durability becomes an issue, as is the challenge in most manufacturing arenas.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven

Ok in truth I've had this for a little while, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. I actually had it set up 2x10, but had so much flex when I was mashing real hard I couldn't keep the chain on the big ring. Anyway, swapped over to XX1 and am hooked. Definitely going to be expensive trying to convert the other horses in my stable.

XL White Jet 9 RDO
    Fox Float 120mm, Maxle
    SRAM XX1 Drivetrain (BB30 Q168 & trigger shift)
    Shimano XTR 988 Trail Brakeset
    American Classic MTB Wheelset
    Schwalbe Ron & Ralph
    Niner Flat Top Bar, ESI Chunky Grips
    Niner RDO Stem 110mm
    Kind Shock Supernatural Seatpost 150mm drop, 435mm overall
    Forte Pro SL Saddle
    Shimano XT Pedals
    26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)
    Goodoljake - how tall are you? I'm 6'7" wondering if the XL was gonna work for me. I ride a XXL HT right now...

Arrrghhh!!!

Flex?

Beauty of a bike! Where were you getting all that flex? Are speaking of the frame/bb, or crank?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tall_bryce View Post
    Goodoljake - how tall are you? I'm 6'7" wondering if the XL was gonna work for me. I ride a XXL HT right now...
    OK, I am 6/4 with a 34" inseam. I normally ride 21" or XL frames and this fits me well. I have a buddy who is 6/7 and he won't go near any XL or 21". He is a hold out for XXL or 23". I must admit I like the Santa Cruz Tall Boy and almost bought a XXL carbon one but was advised directly by a Santa Cruz tech that I was too small for it. That was just prior to finding a sweet deal on the Jet. Anyway, the XXL Carbon Tallboy can still be had for a sweet price, if you like blue. check it: Santa Cruz Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    Beauty of a bike! Where were you getting all that flex? Are speaking of the frame/bb, or crank?
    According to Niner the flex is in the CVA and rear end. I'm a very big boy so when I mash on the steep stuff it would flex laterally enough to literally shift the chain off the side of the big ring. If I adjusted the front derailleur to compensate then it would rub on the chain in the smallest cogs under a more normal load. If I had to guess by the quickness of their diagnosis it wasn't the first time this has happened. All that said I don't notice the flex anymore than I do on my hardtails. The switch to 1x for me has not only solved it, but has me sold on the whole XX1 concept.

mtbr member

Opinions Please

Looking at a wheel upgrade. please tell me your thoughts on the all black or red ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-20130208_191503.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-img_3175.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-img_3176.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Palmares, where did it break? Any pics of it?
    I was going to go with the xx1 group for my new Jet RDO build but I am patiently waiting to hear more ride reports and/or issues. I am not in too big a hurry to build the bike up hence the waiting and to see if Shimano comes out with a similar group.
    It's perplexing to wonder that by manufacturing parts to be lightweight that durability becomes an issue, as is the challenge in most manufacturing arenas.
    Not sure, as my bike shop is in Austin and I dont live there. After talking to a few people, it sounds like a very isolated issue, as no one has heard of an xx or xx1 cassette breaking like that.

I took a pretty ill advised gnarly drop and landed on a non landing area (read: I f'ed it away) and am just glad nothing worse happened. I still dig my XX1 and dont think there are long lasting durability issues. We shall see.

mtbr member

my vote

Looking at a wheel upgrade. please tell me your thoughts on the all black or red ones.
    I say go with the black ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tall_bryce View Post
    I say go with the black ones.
    Ditto

mtbr member
    +1 on the black ones. And send me the red ones-they'll look great on my black RDO!
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Black ones on order. The red ones would look sick on a blacked out frame, but I don't have them in hand or we could work it out. thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the Trail 24's (weight came to exactly 1570 g with tape and valve stems) ready to put on my black RDO frame. I went for a slight custom order by getting black rim/hub, and red spokes. I'm just waiting for handlebars and stem to arrive and then I'll post a picture of the finished bike. I considered blacked out I9s as well. Should also look sick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If anyone is looking for an XX1 / XD freehub body for a SRAM Rise 60 wheelset, I can trade you my just-about-new XX1 freehub for your standard 8/9/10 speed Shimano style freehub body. I've gotta move my wheelset to a triple ring setup for some XC stage racing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

rdo build

I am building up new RDO 1x11. Do I run the rear deraileur cable housing through the frame or use the small plastic tubes for inside frame and housing on the outside?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I am building up new RDO 1x11. Do I run the rear deraileur cable housing through the frame or use the small plastic tubes for inside frame and housing on the outside?
    Check on Niner's web site. They have a video that shows how to do the internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    According to that video it seems like the cable is bare inside the frame, wont that rub on carbon and create some wear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    According to that video it seems like the cable is bare inside the frame, wont that rub on carbon and create some wear?
    That is how it is designed by Niner to function. The cable is not just slack and flopping around inside the frame. It is under tension and runs in a straight line so it doesn't contact anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It doesn't rub, but the nightmares that some others have documented with the internal cable routing on the RDO scared me. If you are going with an XX1, why not just run full length housing on the outside along with the rear brake line? This is what I did, and I think it looks just fine, perhaps even a bit more balanced than seeing a single cable enter one half of the head-badge. Here's some pictures I just posted: First Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    With the XX1 chain length just run the chain through derailuer and big rings and size it that way? Or do I remove shock bolt and cycle suspention full range up and then size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I used big ring + 3. Then I measured w suspension fully cycled and it came out almost identical. So, go with either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

pf30

Did you guys use a tool to put the PF30 in the BB?

this is what mine looks like

Name:  pf30.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  48.5 KB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast