Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

I'm running the same setup on mine & I have never dropped a chain.

Just fit the standard BB & fit the XX1 cranks, No guide needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Does this setup drop the chain on the front ring at all? I had a 1x10 and it always dropped on techy stuff. Do I need a special BB adaptor for the xx1 crank or will this bolt right up to the Niner frame with xx1 BB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey muzzanic, how many miles you have your XX1? Any rear derailleur clunking/creaking issue when your rear suspension cycles? Thanks!

mtbr member

Another white XX1 RDO

Finally got mine built up and ready to roll. Well, after the snow melts. A bit under 24lbs.Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where can I buy a wheel prebuilt with xx1 Hub? I am still not clear if I need that pf30 adaptor with the XX1 crank. When I look at xx1 group for sale on ebay what one do I need to get to fit the niner jet RDO? DLINE how much she weigh?

mtbr member
    You can buy a new freehub body for SRAM and DT 240 hubs right now - for about 50 bucks. The swap took maybe 5 minutes. As for the BB - I ordered a PF30 BB and 156Q cranks, and they went on without a problem.

Only issue I have is that the factory threaded lines running through the frame may have been crossed to my head tube. As I look at everyone else's cable routing the right hand shifter cable crosses to the left hand side of the head tube badge, and mine doesn't, but I was just following the lines as they came from Niner.

It's at 24 lbs now, with some heavy tubes and a heavy saddle. Both on my list to change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice looking build DLine! I just finished orderring all the parts for my own Jet9RDO XX1 build today. Hope to have everything in and bike built by next week. First race of the year is March 16, so I'm cutting it close now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where did you buy xx1 group? I also need a carbon stem and seatpost. Deciding on fox ctd or the xx or even theloop from white bros. What cane creek headset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where did you buy xx1 group? I also need a carbon stem and seatpost. Deciding on fox ctd or the xx or even theloop from white bros. What cane creek headset?
    My LBS was able to roughly match the prices at UniversalCycles on the XX1. XX1 is in high demand and many parts are starting to get backordered, so order soon.

I have spent _far_ too much time in the past weeks considering what parts to order. Ended up ordering the Syntace HiFlex P6 carbon post (amazing engineering and warranty) and Ritchey WCS Carbon C260 90mm stem (gorgeous!) and Enve sweep bars. Went with the Fox CTD 100mm fork in black.
    Last edited by wheel-addict; 02-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Over 1000 km & not missed a beat,

I have a couple of friends that have XX1 on Rip9's & not had any problems either.

I think the Niner CVA is very friendly on clutch type derailieurs.

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Hey muzzanic, how many miles you have your XX1? Any rear derailleur clunking/creaking issue when your rear suspension cycles? Thanks!

mtbr member

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Ok in truth I've had this for a little while, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder. I actually had it set up 2x10, but had so much flex when I was mashing real hard I couldn't keep the chain on the big ring. Anyway, swapped over to XX1 and am hooked. Definitely going to be expensive trying to convert the other horses in my stable.

XL White Jet 9 RDO
    Fox Float 120mm, Maxle
    SRAM XX1 Drivetrain (BB30 Q168 & trigger shift)
    Shimano XTR 988 Trail Brakeset
    American Classic MTB Wheelset
    Schwalbe Ron & Ralph
    Niner Flat Top Bar, ESI Chunky Grips
    Niner RDO Stem 110mm
    Kind Shock Supernatural Seatpost 150mm drop, 435mm overall
    Forte Pro SL Saddle
    Shimano XT Pedals
    26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-20130208_191503.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-20130208_191515.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven-20130208_191530.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just called Universal and they said I need
    SRAM XX1 Trigger Shift Kit-In-A-Box 175mm 166Q 32T BB30 Crankset 10-42 11 speed; Bottom Bracket Not Included
    for the niner jet RDO
    Not the Q168, I am confused what to order

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can use the 168Q, but are probably better off with the 156Q (narrower) for better pedaling efficiency. Jet9RDO accommodates both. You need to order the Truvativ PF30 Bottom Bracket and you are all set.

I just called Universal and they said I need
    SRAM XX1 Trigger Shift Kit-In-A-Box 175mm 166Q 32T BB30 Crankset 10-42 11 speed; Bottom Bracket Not Included
    for the niner jet RDO
    Not the Q168, I am confused what to order

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    Ok in truth I've had this for a little while, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder...
    26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)
    Nice looking steed! I'm with you on the imitation thing. I'm totally trying to copy some of the goodness I've seen in this thread. That is one of the nicer looking white RDO builds I've seen. Looks like you've gone for more of a "trail/AM" build. I bet your bike will be more fun to ride than the "XC racer" build I'm going for. BTW, what bottle cage is that? Does it hold your bottles firmly enough while still being able to pull them out on the trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Do I order the GXP or BB30 version?, I will also order the Truvativ PF30

Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    You can use the 168Q, but are probably better off with the 156Q (narrower) for better pedaling efficiency. Jet9RDO accommodates both. You need to order the Truvativ PF30 Bottom Bracket and you are all set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Order the BB30 version.

mtbr member
    Nice looking steed! BTW, what bottle cage is that? Does it hold your bottles firmly enough while still being able to pull them out on the trail?
    Thanks! Bottle cage is a Profile Design Kage (yes with a K). They aren't the prettiest, but they are cheap and fairly light (56g). They also have a rubber ring to help hold the bottles in. I did remove the rubber ring on this one and always on the seat tube to give them more flex when removing the bottles. For reference I have never lost a bottle and use them on all my rides. (See now I'm gonna lose one cuz of this. lol)
    Universal Cycles -- Profile Design Stryke Kage w/ Retention Band

mtbr member
    I second wheel addict with the narrow Q benefit, but If you have big feet and/or are prone to tuck in your heels striking the chain stay or even seat stay on this frame will be very common. I fall into the big foot category so I went with the wider to be safe and still hit the stays once in a while with my Q168.

For reference the new XX1 is either Q158 or Q168 where the traditional XX is Q156 or Q166. I've seen some shops incorrectly label the new XX1.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the only reason you would order the GXP is if you were thinking of swaping bits over to the Rip9 RDO or something like that at a later stage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ordered the 156, I have not had the heel problem. I am size 11. Now I just need to pick out a fork??

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    DLine, nice looking rig. Are those the sram Rise 60 wheels? If so, how do you like them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Dline, is that a medium frame or large at 24 lbs?

mtbr member
    It's a Large. Put a lighter saddle and new Ashima rotors last night and shed a few grams.

Today was the first ride, though just a commute. Nothing like a new bike to amp up the mundane. The wheels are the Rise 60's, and they seem good so far, but I haven't really had them in a situation where I can tell just yet. I haven't converted to tubeless, which is the drawback. Most other wheels in their price category are tubeless ready. But I got a good deal on them, so it's hard to complain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is it correct that traditional Q-factor is 166 (with non-XX1 cranks)? If so, what specifically has many of you going with the Q156? I'm in the process of ordering an XX1 crank to use with 1x10 drivetrain, but I was thinking Q168 since that's closest to traditional, and I've never felt too "wide" before on pedals?

Is there a noticeable advantage with Q156? Also, can anyone confirm it wouldn't cause a clearance issue on an Air9 RDO frame?

Thanks

Carbon & Ti rule
    I put my 156 Q XX1 cranks on my wifes bike to try before I ordered hers.

With clip in shoes she had no problems, but she also some times iust usws running shoes & found with the wide heal they would often rub the frame.

She has chosen to go with 168 Q for this reason.

both my bikes run 156 Q & I tell myself it's better for pedaling in deep ruts & less likely to get caught on tree stumps & better for pedaling on corners when the bike is layed over.

However this to the greater part is all in my head, Because 6mm each side isn't much & there will be pedals out there with spindal lengths that will be a greater difference.

156 Q isn't a magic bullet to anything, I would be just as happy with 168 Q but then I'm 6 ft maybe a shorter peorson might notice it more.

my 2 c

Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Is it correct that traditional Q-factor is 166 (with non-XX1 cranks)? If so, what specifically has many of you going with the Q156? I'm in the process of ordering an XX1 crank to use with 1x10 drivetrain, but I was thinking Q168 since that's closest to traditional, and I've never felt too "wide" before on pedals?

Is there a noticeable advantage with Q156? Also, can anyone confirm it wouldn't cause a clearance issue on an Air9 RDO frame?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm only 5'9" so not sure which Q would fit me best? I'll have to measure my current bikes and see what they are. I know my Jet9 is 166Q, but no idea on cyclocross or rigid bike? I like the idea of narrower cranks during turns as we have a lot of tight, twisty sections on our race courses.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I put my 156 Q XX1 cranks on my wifes bike to try before I ordered hers.

With clip in shoes she had no problems, but she also some times iust usws running shoes & found with the wide heal they would often rub the frame.

She has chosen to go with 168 Q for this reason.

both my bikes run 156 Q & I tell myself it's better for pedaling in deep ruts & less likely to get caught on tree stumps & better for pedaling on corners when the bike is layed over.

However this to the greater part is all in my head, Because 6mm each side isn't much & there will be pedals out there with spindal lengths that will be a greater difference.

156 Q isn't a magic bullet to anything, I would be just as happy with 168 Q but then I'm 6 ft maybe a shorter peorson might notice it more.

my 2 c

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast