Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Blackburn carbon cage I believe.
    True story. Pro bike kit christmas special, 50% off. Its like 15 pieces of flair all rolled into one.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmares View Post
    Fork is 100mm. I considered 120 for "versatility" but went with the 100 for xc purebred. Turns out, Im real happy with it. I rode some of the gnarliest stuff I have ever done over new years, and it performed beautifully. No regrets.
    Good to hear that you like the 100mm setting. I have a 2013 sid xx that I am going to put on the Jet RDO when built. I hear many people enjoy the 120mm setting but believe 100mm will be just fine for my area. I have the same color frame on it's way and gotta say your bike looks great!

PHS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome build! I'm working on a similar setup right now too!...

May be an obvious question, but where do you get the sheath for the cable routing?

mtbr member
    OP - I'm looking at building up an RDO almost identically to yours. I'm deciding drivetrain and would like any feedback on XX1 you've got. Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine View Post
    OP - I'm looking at building up an RDO almost identically to yours. I'm deciding drivetrain and would like any feedback on XX1 you've got. Thanks much.
    XX1 is the truth broheim. Any gear on demand at anytime. Im running the 32x10-42 that it comes with, and have no desire for anything else. I raced last weekend, and never wanted for more on the low end or high end. Do it. You will be happy.

mtbr member
    i just built an RDO last night with XX1. Gonna ride it tonight. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 2912 all-black Jet 9 RDO frame from Bike Bling came into today! I managed to snag a Fox Float CTD 100mm in black as well (got from another source). Was going to do an XTR drivetrain, but am now thinking of XX1 after reading this. Please share any other thoughts you have on the XX1. I'm worried about the smaller range of gearing this will offer. I'm building this bike specifically for 50-100 mile endurance races where there will be a lot of climbing and some long flat sections. I went from years of freeride MTB to a year of road bike racing, and this will be my first year racing XC. I just don't have a good feel for what range of gears I'm going to need. Are you ever finding you have to slow-grind up some long/steep hills with the 32 in front? What type/length of races will you be doing with this setup?

Beautiful build BTW! This is the best looking build of J9RDO I've seen so far!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    My 2912 all-black Jet 9 RDO frame from Bike Bling came into today! I managed to snag a Fox Float CTD 100mm in black as well (got from another source). Was going to do an XTR drivetrain, but am now thinking of XX1 after reading this. Please share any other thoughts you have on the XX1. I'm worried about the smaller range of gearing this will offer. I'm building this bike specifically for 50-100 mile endurance races where there will be a lot of climbing and some long flat sections. I went from years of freeride MTB to a year of road bike racing, and this will be my first year racing XC. I just don't have a good feel for what range of gears I'm going to need. Are you ever finding you have to slow-grind up some long/steep hills with the 32 in front? What type/length of races will you be doing with this setup?

Beautiful build BTW! This is the best looking build of J9RDO I've seen so far!
    Well, if you gotten this far, you know Im a fan of xx1. I have raced one time so far - Miles of Disomfort half marathon. 27 miles of somewhat technical riding. As far as gearing, I was more than covered. In fact, I didnt spend any time in either extreme gear. 32-42 is PLENTY for me- its the same as 26-36. 32-10 is only needed on road sections, and even then only if its really flat or slightly descending. Obviously everyone is different, but Comfort is as technical a race as I will do, and a 32 front was perfect. If I will be racing any truly flatter/easier courses, I will probably get a 34 or 36 front to give me more on the road sections.

Anyway - to slightly correct you, xx1 does not offer a smaller range - it just offers a few less options in between. 32-42 and 32-10 very nearly mimic a standard 2x10 setup.

Thanks for the compliment to my ride. Its certainly taken some abuse since these pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    32/10 is a pretty high gear---it is almost as high as 36/11. But, an XTR double 26/38 would offer an even higher gear at 38/11. I suppose there aren't too many courses out there where the full spread of gears would be needed. Leadville comes to mind. I've never had a MTB under 32 lbs, or with less than 150mm travel, so perhaps I'm too worried about needing low gears. I've become used to doing massive hill climbs on my road bike this last year and my lowest gear there is a 39/28!

Anyway - to slightly correct you, xx1 does not offer a smaller range - it just offers a few less options in between. 32-42 and 32-10 very nearly mimic a standard 2x10 setup.

Thanks for the compliment to my ride. Its certainly taken some abuse since these pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well we are speaking the same language. Im more of a roadie anyway. I use a standard crank (53/39) usually with an 11-25 or 11-27 if very climbing centric. I spend way less time in the 32-42 than in the equivalent gear on my road bike. Youll be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, now that I know you're a fellow roadie, I'm no longer worried about gear range. I'm thinking of ordering the group from the shop today. One last question: have you heard any hint of "knocking" sounds coming from the clutch mechanism as the rear suspension cycles through its travel? This website and others are filled with _user_ reviews complaining about this in the X.9 and X.0 Type 2. Way to many people for comfort are saying to avoid X.9 and X.0 until SRAM sorts it out (ie catches up to Shimano engineering again). I'm _hoping_ that they have sorted out that issue with the XX1...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Damn. Should have Googled earlier: XX1 knocking/clunking

Looks like SRAM has arsed up version 1 again. I'd feel better if the people having problems have found a solution, but so far nobody has anything to offer. It's not user servicable. One guy is thinking of buying a second one so that he can still ride his bike while SRAM is warrantying the other.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The XX1 on my Jet9 RDO is still super quiet & working very well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's good to hear, although it is still early days for most XX1 owners. If I do buy this, I'll for sure buy it from my LBS so that they can help me deal with SRAM if/when problems crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The XX1 on my Jet9 RDO is still super quiet & working very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's good to hear, although it is still early days for most XX1 owners. If I do buy this, I'll for sure buy it from my LBS so that they can help me deal with SRAM if/when problems crop up.
    Dude, I'm not discounting others opinions, but I just havent heard of anything like that. I know xtr is the default group that everybody loves, but I have 2 other friends (pro/cat 1 guys) riding xx1 and loving it. If my stuff ever "clunks" or doesnt shift perfectly, I usually point the finger at the wrench (me) as opposed to the manufacturer. The housing near the bb was giving me fits. Then I came here and fixed it. At the risk of sounding like a know it all, I bet the problem can be fixed via b screw tension. I think this is maybe one of the most important adjustments on these deraillers due to the high spring tension.

Xx1 is the trickest kit out there. You cant make everyone happy all the time. IMHO this is akin to the "sram red front derailleur isnt stiff enough" complaint on the last gen road stuff.

Either way, I took a whole page to say what muzz said. Mine runs great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 501levi View Post
    i want to **** your bike.
    lmfao!
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dude, I'm not discounting others opinions, but I just havent heard of anything like that. I know xtr is the default group that everybody loves, but I have 2 other friends (pro/cat 1 guys) riding xx1 and loving it...
    OK, I'm convinced! Going to place order today.

Did you xx1/Jet9RDO owners order the 156 or 168 mm q-factor XX1? How does clearance look?

I'd like to use a Stages Cycling left-crank arm power meter eventually, but there needs to be at least 10 mm of clearance between the middle section of the left crankarm and frame to accomodate the power meter. Stages only work with metal crankarms, so the current solution is buy a Cannondale Hollowgram crankset and a custom Hollowgram to XX1 spider such as this one: CANNONDALE Kurbel SET Hollowgram SiSL2 + 1-fach Sram XX1 Kettenblatt

If there's enough clearance, than I might order the Hollowgram crankset + XX1 spider instead of the XX1 crankset. If successful, I believe I'll have the first Jet9RDO + full XX1 + power meter combo.
    Last edited by wheel-addict; 02-15-2013 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Love this build and love it more because a Stone lover!
    If you ever get the time, post some photos of that beast on the trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Did you xx1/Jet9RDO owners order the 156 or 168 mm q-factor XX1? How does clearance look?

I'd like to use a Stages Cycling left-crank arm power meter eventually, but there needs to be at least 10 mm of clearance between the middle section of the left crankarm and frame to accomodate the power meter. Stages only work with metal crankarms, so the current solution is buy a Cannondale Hollowgram crankset and a custom Hollowgram to XX1 spider such as this one: CANNONDALE Kurbel SET Hollowgram SiSL2 + 1-fach Sram XX1 Kettenblatt

If there's enough clearance, than I might order the Hollowgram crankset + XX1 spider instead of the XX1 crankset. If successful, I believe I'll have the first Jet9RDO + full XX1 + power meter combo.
    156q with good clearance. Large v1.1 frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

156 q factor. I actually caught my calf a couple times on the zip tied brake cable (it runs on the outside of the frame.) I re-routed it on the inside of the rear triangle and i like it better. The narrow stance feels like my road bikes and I love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelsAndBombs View Post
    Love this build and love it more because a Stone lover!
    If you ever get the time, post some photos of that beast on the trail!
    Thanks brother. Its actually out of commish for a week or two. Having the wheels rebuilt, after trying to turn the rims square on a roll-in at the park. Guess I need a downhill bike now...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just wondering what size the frame is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RDylan View Post
    Just wondering what size the frame is?
    M. 5'10 150 lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Just saw a one-off XX1 srm at Austin Bikes. Guy who rides there had it made special. It was damn sexy. Made my wallet shed a lil' tear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does this setup drop the chain on the front ring at all? I had a 1x10 and it always dropped on techy stuff. Do I need a special BB adaptor for the xx1 crank or will this bolt right up to the Niner frame with xx1 BB?
    Last edited by bigdog100; 02-25-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast