Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009

Jet 9 RDO vs. RIP 9 RDO

I am going to put this on muzzanic

I am in play for a FS bike. Was considering the Jet9 RDO until muzzanic got me thinking whether I would like to have a RIP 9 RDO.

Kinda looking for some advise - e.g. pro vs. cons.

I am 253lbs planning on getting to 220lbs and below.

Appreciate your opinion,
    Ofir

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not Muzz, but I have been working on making this same decision. What it should come down to is your intended use. For myself, I picked the Jet because I want climbing ability over all else. I'll still have a Mojo SL and a 29er SS hard tail, so the Jet seems to expand my bike choices more. Will this be your only MTB? If you have others will it be a replacement, or compliment other bikes?

Something else I see Muzz say a lot is how the Rip will really help skill wise on downhill sections. I don't need any help in that area (my SS times are nearly as good as on my Mojo) which is another nod towards the Jet for me. How does this apply for you?

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    I have an Air 9 RDO and I am keeping it. The Jet 9 RDO would be my second bike. So it is all about choices as pointed out.

I am not looking to jump with the bike or going nuts on the descents...
    That said, I thought on a 120mm up front.

Ofir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    Not Muzz, but I have been working on making this same decision. What it should come down to is your intended use. For myself, I picked the Jet because I want climbing ability over all else. I'll still have a Mojo SL and a 29er SS hard tail, so the Jet seems to expand my bike choices more. Will this be your only MTB? If you have others will it be a replacement, or compliment other bikes?

Something else I see Muzz say a lot is how the Rip will really help skill wise on downhill sections. I don't need any help in that area (my SS times are nearly as good as on my Mojo) which is another nod towards the Jet for me. How does this apply for you?

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO vs. RIP 9 RDO

IMO, the uses for the JET and AIR overlap a lot. If you're going to have two bikes, my thought is that they should cover as much of the spectrum as possible without leaving a gap, if that makes sense.

The RIP pedals quite well, but will also likely lift your desire to descend. It's super versatile: you can set it up to be a little more XC if you'd like, keeping it lighter and shorter, or you could go more AM with your setup, should your riding progress in that direction. Just my personal experience, but I've always found myself doing the type of riding that I didn't think I'd be doing a year or two prior. If you go that direction, you're set with the RIP. If you don't, keep the RIP short, run XC tires, and you have a bike that pedals nearly as well as a JET set up at 120.

Just my two cents!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

trail "cleaner"
    I own both and it kinda boils down to what your riding intentions are... My JET RDO is full on XC'd out complete with Carbon wheels/XTR drive train. I run the 120mm SID up front. My RIP RDO can handle just about anything I throw at. XT drive train with a Pike up front at 140mm. Reverb post and Carbon wheels. For here in AZ, the JET RDO is my weapon for any major climbing routes and long endurance type of riding. My RIP is my go to bike whenever technical descents and "chunk" are involved. Pick the bike that fits your riding style and terrain. Both are excellent for their purpose.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    My reply under your Scalpel 29 vs. Tallboy 2 vs. Jet 9 RDO post.

Have to agree with those recommending one of the Rip 9s. I have owned a Jet 9 RDO and just replaced with a Rip 9 RDO. I ride mostly single track, rocky & very rooty trails with some climbs with nasty downhills-no big jumps though. I LOVE the new Rip RDO! I think I may have given up less than 10% Flickability(a totally mountain bike term) but in every other way the Rip just rocks! Feel more like I'm "In the bike" rather than "On the bike" compared to my Jet. Also, just traded bikes with a friend who has the new Jet 9 RDO with a carbon wheel set. After having not ridden a Jet RDO since getting rid of mine and only riding my Rip RDO for the last month, even with his carbon wheels (my Rip has Stans Arch EX's) I easily noticed how much smoother my Rip was compared to riding his Jet. We were riding on a familiar fast trail with LOTS of technical rocks & roots. The RIP just flys thru that stuff while, even thought the Jet is a Great bike, on a long day you will not feel as beat up after riding a RIP. As Muzz has mentioned in the past, if money becomes an issue, and you are trying to decide on the Rip 9 Alum vs the Rip 9 RDO, go for the Alum Rip and spend the extra money on a set of carbon rims. I got a Rip RDO in an even trade because of a cracked frame on my Jet RDO otherwise I would have done this. I did demo the Alum Rip and was super impressed! At your weight, and I ride with 2 friends in your weight class, both have the Rips and are loving them. I think you will too. Good luck with your choice.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    HouseNotes, it is interesting you say that you "think you may have given up less than 10% flickability" in choosing the Rip 9 RDO. I was just talking with a niner demo guy and a Niner dealer and they were in consensus that the RIP is more "flickable" due to the shorter top tube. They felt the you can really throw it around and kick out the rear. I kind of felt the same where as the Jet 9 RDO seem to be more planted and that may be due to the longer top tube on it. Giving you that leaning over the bike feeling and the Rip is more upright as you call it "in the bike" feeling. I personally like that as do you. I do feel the Jet can ride a bit harsh though so I see what you are saying about the Rip compared to the Jet, but man that Jet can really climb impressively.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    HouseNotes, it is interesting you say that you "think you may have given up less than 10% flickability" in choosing the Rip 9 RDO. I was just talking with a niner demo guy and a Niner dealer and they were in consensus that the RIP is more "flickable" due to the shorter top tube. They felt the you can really throw it around and kick out the rear. I kind of felt the same where as the Jet 9 RDO seem to be more planted and that may be due to the longer top tube on it. Giving you that leaning over the bike feeling and the Rip is more upright as you call it "in the bike" feeling. I personally like that as do you. I do feel the Jet can ride a bit harsh though so I see what you are saying about the Rip compared to the Jet, but man that Jet can really climb impressively.
    By any chance you're not the red HT flat pedal guy are you?

I eat cats
    Since you already have the AIR 9 another +1 for the RIP. I have more fun than I thought I ever could on the downs with mine while still being able to earn that part with long climbs that can get techy (So Cal). Really impressed with how it pedals up and have a 140 Pike upfront as well. I find myself popping off every little bump along the trail and my confidence on drops has improved a great deal so don't be too quick to say you won't be looking to jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Since you already have the AIR 9 another +1 for the RIP. I have more fun than I thought I ever could on the downs with mine while still being able to earn that part with long climbs that can get techy (So Cal). Really impressed with how it pedals up and have a 140 Pike upfront as well. I find myself popping off every little bump along the trail and my confidence on drops has improved a great deal so don't be too quick to say you won't be looking to jump.
    Rip9 ( The teacher ) for sure.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I really like both the Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO, For that matter I like my alloy 2014 Rip9 a lot as well.

I have always been more of a Rip9 rider, I only ever brought the Jet9 RDO to hold me over until they made a Rip9 carbon.

In fact I sold my early Rip9 & brought a Gen 1 Tallboy to get a bike that was more alive, Lasted ( I really didn't like it )

Anyway I couldn't believe how good the Jet9 RDO was, There wasn't a track that I do that Jet9 RDO wasn't faster than my old Rip9 was, No matter how ruff or steep down hill.

On the flat & climbs the Jet9 RDO was so much quicker & more alive.

You really can't go wrong with any of these bikes, But think hard about what you want out of a bike & what your budget is.

My Rip9 RDO is my best & go to bike for sure, but here is the thing.

The new Alloy Rip9 is so good that I would give up my carbon frame before I would give up my Pike.

Also I own a few wheel sets & get to do lots of back to back & good stiff & strong wheels sets make a bike.

The Thing I really like about my Rip9's is you can do a really good job no matter what tracks you take them on, There wide range of were they go well is just such an asset, Up, Down or flat

I'm off to bed now, I will add more info when I get up.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 07-09-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Adding more info.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    So - I am looking to this thread for thoughts/feedback.

In the arsenal currently... Jet 9 RDO, EMD 9, SIR 9, (un-built ROS 9). What I'm wondering is the following:

a) Do I build up the ROS as a trail bike... or keep the frame as nostalgia (on the DL, all I'll say is - it's pretty cool to have a frame that you helped name). The argument I get in with myself here is, "do I really want to own 3 hard tails ???"
    or,
    b) Build a WFO 9 to complement my Jet 9 - as it is built as a heavy duty XC/trail bike.
    or,
    c) Build a heavy duty RIP to complement my Jet 9.

The bike that I use all over the country is my Jet 9. I'm a bigger rider and need more assistance going up than down.

Thoughts?
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk View Post

In the arsenal currently... Jet 9 RDO, EMD 9, SIR 9, (un-built ROS 9). What I'm wondering is the following:

a) Do I build up the ROS as a trail bike... or keep the frame as nostalgia (on the DL, all I'll say is - it's pretty cool to have a frame that you helped name). The argument I get in with myself here is, "do I really want to own 3 hard tails ???"
    or,
    b) Build a WFO 9 to complement my Jet 9 - as it is built as a heavy duty XC/trail bike.
    or,

The bike that I use all over the country is my Jet 9. I'm a bigger rider and need more assistance going up than down.

Thoughts?
    I'd look at it in terms of capability. I'm willing to bet your JET handles most of the terrain you throw at it. I see the RIP as sort of a do-it-all, and I think it'll overlap your heavy duty JET. The ROS will put you on the same terrain as the RIP with a completely different ride.

My vote would probably go to the WFO, which will open up terrain than no other bike you own has any business being on. It pedals decently enough to get you to the top of anything, but will allow you to open it up a bit downhill. If you have any inclination toward drops, jumps, or serious chunk, go WFO. If you don't currently, but decide to go WFO, you may find yourself seeking out the limits of the bike.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have always said if you have to ask Rip9 or WFO then there is a very good chance you are a Rip9 type rider & not a WFO type rider.

How ever, With you already owning a Jet9 RDO then there is more scope to spread the bikes apart with a WFO.

The thing is that Jet9 RDO,s really climb well & even a good climber will come up feeling lacking next to the Jet9 RDO.

I just got a WFO that I should have built up by Saturday< So will be abel to Ride Jet9 RDO,Rip9 RDO,2014 Rip9 & 2014 WFO back to back so will be able to tell you how big a hit you will take on climbing..

Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk View Post

or,
    or,

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I may be in this same boat. My v1.1 jet9 RDO has what may be some cracking in the usual spot, and I was looking into replacement options. I may be able to get a new rip rdo or a jet rdo but have not decided which I would rather have. My jet is built with a 120 fork and American classic wheels. It's a great do it all bike but sometimes I would like a little extra travel. I don't race often but I am starting to get into endurance racing a bit more and usually do a couple xterra events every year.
    Will I suffer too much on the rip when race day comes? Like I said I race only a few times a year but love to do the big rides occasionally. Want a fun go to bike.
    I currently have the jet9 and a canfield yelli that I just built up.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, anyone know actual weights on equivalent sized jet9 rdo to rip9rdo? Been struggling to find actual weights. I ride a large.

Carbon & Ti rule
    My Rip9 RDO was just on 1 Ib more than my Jet9 RDO, Both were large.

I really liked my Jet9 RDO's ( never had any problems with either of them ) But I like my Rip9 RDO more.

I found that there was very little between the Rip9 RDO & Jet9 RDO in climbing with much the same build, A slight edge to the Jet9 RDO but I do mean Slight.

Ok people have just arrived to see me so I will add more when they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeast View Post
    I may be in this same boat. My v1.1 jet9 RDO has what may be some cracking in the usual spot, and I was looking into replacement options. I may be able to get a new rip rdo or a jet rdo but have not decided which I would rather have. My jet is built with a 120 fork and American classic wheels. Iip9t's a great do it all bike but sometimes I would like a little extra travel. I don't race often but I am starting to get into endurance racing a bit more and usually do a couple xterra events every year.
    Will I suffer too much on the rip when race day comes? Like I said I race only a few times a year but love to do the big rides occasionally. Want a fun go to bike.
    Also, anyone know actual weights on equivalent sized jet9 rdo to rip9rdo? Been struggling to find actual weights. I ride a large.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeast View Post
    I may be in this same boat. My v1.1 jet9 RDO has what may be some cracking in the usual spot, and I was looking into replacement options. I may be able to get a new rip rdo or a jet rdo but have not decided which I would rather have. My jet is built with a 120 fork and American classic wheels. It's a great do it all bike but sometimes I would like a little extra travel. I don't race often but I am starting to get into endurance racing a bit more and usually do a couple xterra events every year.
    Well if you are only doing a couple/few racing events a year then you should take into consideration what you are doing the rest of the year. If you end up getting more serious about racing then you will be building a race bike and not an occasional race bike. I kept my Stumpy hardtail after I built up my RIP rdo and am glad I did. It's a good bike for the mellow race series I participate in.

What I really love about my RIP is I can damn near climb as fast on it as I can my Stumpy HT. I smash all my old times on loops with my RIP because I can climb almost as quick then descend wayyy faster.

So IMHO I think you need to ask yourself if this will be a race bike or an every day bike that you might enter a couple of races with. If you are looking for more of an all day 'have fun' bike then the RIP will suite your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Long story short I want that fun every day bike i just want to be able to race that same bike if needed. Sounds like the Rip is still going to be a good race bike if set up to do so. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Wildebeast; 07-22-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Missed post

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A little bit late to this thread but thought I'd add a few comments.

I have a:

Jet 9 RDO (first gen) with a 120 mm White Bros Loop, XX1, Thomson Elite Dropper and Enve AM wheels

and a

RIP 9 RDO with 140mm Pike, XX1, Enve AM and Reverb dropper

Both are set up tubeless.

So definitely some overlap between the two bikes yet they do feel quite different on the trail. Locally (Ohio) I ride Mohican a lot, a 25 mile loop of single track (Home of the Mohican 100) with plenty of roots, some rocks, but mostly nice single track with about 3000 feet of climbing. Lots of people ride hard tails here but also see a lot of FS. On this trail I prefer the Jet 9 RDO. It feels a little quicker and more nimble and I handle the tight switchbacks a little better on it. The dropper brought so much life to the Jet 9 RDO and I'm constantly raising and lowering the saddle. It's just such a lively feeling bike and it constantly brings a smile to my face while riding it.

However the RIP 9 RDO is great on the trail too, but it is a little bit of over kill for the terrain. It still climbs really well but not quite as well as the Jet 9 RDO. It is very stable and extremely comfortable. When it gets rocky, the Pike really shines and is a nice stabilizing force, but the 120mm Loop is no slouch either. I've never washed out the front tire on the RIP 9 RDO, something I have managed to do on the Jet 9 RDO on a couple of occasions (likely poor technique but speaks to the forgiveness of the RIP 9 RDO).

That being said, the real reason I got the RIP is for my trips out West. In less than two weeks I'm heading out to Steamboat and Vail/Beaver Creek areas and the RIP 9 RDO will be the bike I'm taking and I'm expecting it to shine. This will be my first trip with it and I'm looking forward to testing it on some long epic rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    I've never washed out the front tire on the RIP 9 RDO, something I have managed to do on the Jet 9 RDO on a couple of occasions (likely poor technique but speaks to the forgiveness of the RIP 9 RDO).
    Is this because you run a bigger tire on the Rip?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Jet 9 RDO vs. RIP 9 RDO

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Is this because you run a bigger tire on the Rip?
    Good question but suspect it's multifactorial. I've had the Jet 9 RDO for a lot longer and ridden it far more, so potentially a lot more time for problems. However the most recent time I washed out the front tire was when I was running a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front in somewhat dry dusty conditions with a Racing Ralph on the rear. I was sitting on the saddle (first mistake) coming around a corner and likely had too much weight over the rear tire. Before I could blink the front tire washed out and I was on my butt. The Nobby Nic was probably not the best tire for the conditions at the time but I probably had lost a little focus while riding.

I'm now running a 2.25 Rocket Ron on the front of the Jet 9 RDO and in our local trail conditions I like it a lot more than the Nobby Nic. No washouts with the Rocket Ron.

I ran the 2.35 front and rear Nobby Nics on the RIP 9 RDO that it came with initially. They were good in the late fall conditions when I first got my bike. The trails were heavily leaf littered at the time and the Nobby Nics punch through the leaves well. This year I've run a 2.20 Ikon rear and 2.35 Ikon front on the RIP, both in 3C EXO config, and have liked the combo on our local trails. However for the trip out West I'm putting an Ardent rear and High Roller II up front, which should provide a much different feel.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you are going to be doing a lot of down hill try the Minions front & rear They have so much more grip than the likes of an Ardent.

I'm running a 2.3 DHR 2 on the rear & have both the 2.3 & 2.5 DHF that I use depending on how much climbing I'm going to do.

Good question but suspect it's multifactorial. I've had the Jet 9 RDO for a lot longer and ridden it far more, so potentially a lot more time for problems. However the most recent time I washed out the front tire was when I was running a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front in somewhat dry dusty conditions with a Racing Ralph on the rear. I was sitting on the saddle (first mistake) coming around a corner and likely had too much weight over the rear tire. Before I could blink the front tire washed out and I was on my butt. The Nobby Nic was probably not the best tire for the conditions at the time but I probably had lost a little focus while riding.

I'm now running a 2.25 Rocket Ron on the front of the Jet 9 RDO and in our local trail conditions I like it a lot more than the Nobby Nic. No washouts with the Rocket Ron.

I ran the 2.35 front and rear Nobby Nics on the RIP 9 RDO that it came with initially. They were good in the late fall conditions when I first got my bike. The trails were heavily leaf littered at the time and the Nobby Nics punch through the leaves well. This year I've run a 2.20 Ikon rear and 2.35 Ikon front on the RIP, both in 3C EXO config, and have liked the combo on our local trails. However for the trip out West I'm putting an Ardent rear and High Roller II up front, which should provide a much different feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    If you are going to be doing a lot of down hill try the Minions front & rear They have so much more grip than the likes of an Ardent.

I'm running a 2.3 DHR 2 on the rear & have both the 2.3 & 2.5 DHF that I use depending on how much climbing I'm going to do.
    Hmmm, got me thinking. I'm definitely planning on hitting some nice XC type trails. For example I plan on hitting this ride:

Riding Steamboat’s Crown Jewel: Rabbit Ears Continental Divide Shuttle | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

but if I start to burn my legs out after a few days I may spend some time riding the lift served areas as well. I was thinking the Ardent Rear/High Roller II Front would be good compromise, but maybe I should be going with a bit more tire?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would, If it is a trip away, making a climb 2 min faster isn't what you will remember, How fast you bombed down the fast bits is something you will have for a long time.

They really don't roll that bad ( sure I wouldn't choose them for an XC race ) But man the grip on the corners is awesome.

If I could only take the 1 set of wheels & tires away it would be the 2.3 DHR2 for the rear & the 2.3 DHF for the front.

Hmmm, got me thinking. I'm definitely planning on hitting some nice XC type trails. For example I plan on hitting this ride:

Riding Steamboat’s Crown Jewel: Rabbit Ears Continental Divide Shuttle | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

but if I start to burn my legs out after a few days I may spend some time riding the lift served areas as well. I was thinking the Ardent Rear/High Roller II Front would be good compromise, but maybe I should be going with a bit more tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I would, If it is a trip away, making a climb 2 min faster isn't what you will remember, How fast you bombed down the fast bits is something you will have for a long time.

They really don't roll that bad ( sure I wouldn't choose them for an XC race ) But man the grip on the corners is awesome.

If I could only take the 1 set of wheels & tires away it would be the 2.3 DHR2 for the rear & the 2.3 DHF for the front.
    Order placed...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast