mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Jet 9 RDO V2 Integrated Headset Install

Hey guys, I just got a V2 RDO frame with an integrated headset. This is the first bike I am assembling with an integrated or tapered head tube.

I assembled the parts on paper how they are going to go, but there is a thin metal shim/washer (pictured in the center/bottom) that I am not sure what to do with. I think it may go into the bottom of the head tube, but I thought the bearings need to go directly into the frame, so I am not sure what to do with this washer?

Also, do I grease the inside of the carbon frame before putting the bearings in? And is it OK to put the bearings in a fridge to get the metal the shrink a bit? Really tight fit on the bottom.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Grease is not necessary, but if you do only use grease that is okay for carbon.

The only parts on the bottom from the fork crown upwards is the bearing race which should be fitted to the fork, then the bottom bearing. The bottom bearing is not a tight fit, should be bearings facing down (orange gasket facing the bearing race on the fork). No reason to freeze it, it doesn't fit that way. Nothing presses into place with any force and is all assembled easily by hand except for setting the bearing race on the fork crown.

The top assembly starts with the bearing gasket facing up (orange up), the compression ring, the dust cover, then the thin washer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Herothedog, everything now fits, and quiet easily. Are you sure the thin washer goes over the dust cover/top cover? Seems a bit odd because its raw metal as opposed to black paint finish. I instinctively want to put it under the dust cover/top cover

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The thin washer goes under the top cap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sweet. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Yes, under the top cap. I'm thinking of a different headset I have that has a nylon washer that goes on top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The fit between the bottom bearing and the bearing race that it rests on isn't tight at all as you said. I can see the orange gasket if I look up. Is it ok for the bearings to be exposed this much?

mtbr member
    It will depend on the fork, but the bearing race should cover most of it. The Magura on my Jet RDO completely covers the area so I can't even see the bearing at all. The SID XX WC on my A9C, I can see the outer part of the bearing, but not the gasket.

Don't spray water up there and all should be fine. The bearing is "somewhat" sealed by the gasket so it is fine in riding conditions and general cleaning, just not for pressurized water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That is the fork that I am installing - SID XX WC (2012). But the way the bearings sit on mine is that I can see the orange gasket if I look up. Will be careful and monitor it.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    yep, my husband and I built the 2012 Jet 9 RDO with the SID XX WC fork, and both our frames show a little bit of the orange gasket if you look up from the bottom. Been riding them 6 months and so far no issues.