Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wink JET 9 RDO Trail/AM build

My name is Joe, I'm new to MTBR forum, long time reader first time posting.

I'm having 2012 Jet9 RDO put together at a LBS and I CAN'T WAIT to get this on the trail! I like fast aggresive downhill vs slow grueling uphill and I'm hoping this bike will change that a bit.

My question is, what can I do to make this as solid, smooth and as aggressive as possible on the downhill? (No RIP9 Option at this time)

This is a large frame left over stock that's coming with tappered RS Reba XX w/ RL 120mm and SunRingle BlackFlag comp rims w/ Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 tubeless, is there a better fork (125-130mm?) tire set-up for Trail/AM riding?

Should weigh around 25lbs, I'm ok w/ less than 27. I'm 5'11 190lbs w/ 34 inseam if this matters, thanks.

mtbr member
    If you want to do aggressive downhill, the must have is a dropper seatpost. Take a look at the Rock shock reverb. Beset upgrade for an AM bike of any type.

Those tires will not be that great for aggressive AM. There are many options and opinions on tires. The downside of more aggressive tires is almost always more weight and heavy tires is what you feel the most going uphill. It is a trade off. The maxis ardent is a nice all mountain tire to try. Most people run a little more aggressive in the front, since that is where most of your control is going downhill.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I used my Jet9 RDO for the sort of riding you are talking about.

The Ignitor is a nice tyre but for what you want I would go 2.25 Nobby Nic rear & 2.35 Hans Dumpf front.

A dropper post is a must, I have a Reverb on mine.

Short stem Approx 60 or 70mm & wide bars & just set them up a little higher than you would on an XC bike & I think you will be surprised how well the bike will work for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks, I'll see if its not too late to have the shop change the post and tires out. They've been waiting on parts anyhow and its killin me. Can't wait, haven't bought a new bike in quite awhile. From what I've read I shouldnt need another one as this will handle most.

trail "cleaner"
    I'd change the wheelset to something stiffer for a trail bike. Stan's Flow rims/wheelset or Easton Haven's would be better suited. Carbon fibered rims would take it to the next level...
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Fallow the stem and bar suggestions and set up the wheels with some Stan's Flows and tires that best suite your terrain. You will probably be closer to 27lbs. especially if you add a dropper post. My 2012 Jet9 RDO with Fox 120mm and mid weight tires is 25lbs with XX1 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    And start with 25% sag in the shock. You might end up dropping closer to 30% depending on how plush you want the initial travel. I've tried 20% cross country stiff,25% good balance between small bump compliance,good climbing without wallowing,and 30% soft beginning stroke but some wallowing when climbing but bottom less feel.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    My Jet 9 RDO Trail/AM Setup:

XL RDO
    - Wheels: Stans Flows w/CK hubs
    - Tires: Ardent 2.4 front & back
    - Fork: Fox 34 140 Float w/20mm reducer

I had been running sag at the higher end of the suggested - 15%, I might try bringing that closer to 20% in the near future though.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk View Post
    My Jet 9 RDO Trail/AM Setup:

XL RDO
    - Wheels: Stans Flows w/CK hubs
    - Tires: Ardent 2.4 front & back
    - Fork: Fox 34 140 Float w/20mm reducer

I had been running sag at the higher end of the suggested - 15%, I might try bringing that closer to 20% in the near future though.
    Where did you hear of the suggested 15%. Here on page 35 it says to start at 25% on the Jet9 RDO.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Yeah - Typo...

That's what waking up at 3:00am with a 6 week old will do to you!

I meant to say 15mm of SAG - not 15%

My bad!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No problem. I just didn't want to make sure we weren't confusing the OP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you all for your replies,

I was able to get ahold of my LBS and have them change the Ignitors over to Hans Dumpf 2.35 & Nob Nic 2.25 front and rear for $50 upgrade. I can still change out XC Blackflag comp to Stans Flow w/ ZTR hubs for $400 upgrade would this be worth it? I'm told it would improve the ride alot

I'd like to do more but Im maxed out, I figure I could do the rest down the road when I get this paid for, hopefully I'm still married after these bills come in!

USED2COULD
    Sounds like your bike will be a lot of fun. Mine is setup as a cross country machine for me to crawl around 24 hour events. I built a second set of wheels that are seeing duty on my Cannondale with 2.25 Nobby Nic's as my go to "AM" setup. I've to this point been unable to break the weight weenie disease and order a Hans D for the front.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesdmn View Post

I was able to get ahold of my LBS and have them change the Ignitors over to Hans Dumpf 2.35 & Nob Nic 2.25 front and rear for $50 upgrade.
    Dumpf for Ignitor = Excellent trade IMHO.

I can still change out XC Blackflag comp to Stans Flow w/ ZTR hubs for $400 upgrade would this be worth it? I'm told it would improve the ride alot.
    I've got a set of the Arch Rims, and 2 sets of Flows - Absolutely love the Flows - and again IMO, having that wide of a rim profile with the 2.35 - really makes a great partnering of components. Had you been more of the mindset of building an XC/Endurance Racing bike, maybe something smaller than a Flow - but AM/Enduro... Not sure if you'll beat them! At least at the price point you're looking at. I don't recall seeing anything about how much you weight - but if you are a bigger rider - again, you'll really like having the Flows underneath you.

I've never ridden the ZTR hubs, but I'm told by many professionals over the past several years - that the Flow/ZTR setup is one of the best deals in MtB components.
    Ciao,

-A-

MTB B'dos
    All the advice on shorter stem and wider bar is spot on, also the beefier tyres will serve you well and you'll appreciate them once you point it down. One thing with the Hans Dampf, be careful riding it if you ride on knarly rock, especially coralstone as they eat up quickly and that get's expensive real fast, might be better suited with a Nobby Nic 2.35" on the front depending on where you live.

IMHO, no, not worth it, not for $400, not since you can pick up a complete set for a bit more out of the UK, I'd ask is they can do better. FYI Black Flag Pros go for about $350 and Pro2/Flows go for about $600 in the US, cheaper in the UK.

I was able to get ahold of my LBS and have them change the Ignitors over to Hans Dumpf 2.35 & Nob Nic 2.25 front and rear for $50 upgrade. I can still change out XC Blackflag comp to Stans Flow w/ ZTR hubs for $400 upgrade would this be worth it? I'm told it would improve the ride alot

I'd like to do more but Im maxed out, I figure I could do the rest down the road when I get this paid for, hopefully I'm still married after these bills come in!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Carbon & Ti rule
    The 2.35 hans Dumpf has quite a lot more grip than the 2.35 Nobby Nic as a front tyre, Well worth the extra weight if you are ridding some fast down hill.

I roll a lot better than you would think to.

Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    Sounds like your bike will be a lot of fun. Mine is setup as a cross country machine for me to crawl around 24 hour events. I built a second set of wheels that are seeing duty on my Cannondale with 2.25 Nobby Nic's as my go to "AM" setup. I've to this point been unable to break the weight weenie disease and order a Hans D for the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm going to my lbs today, I'm sold on the Flows EX but I do belive $400 is a little high for upgrade, I could buy online and have 2 sets... light and heavy duty. I made the mistake of looking into tires, wow TMI made my head spin, It sounds like only the cheaper version of NN's availabe so I may pair the Hans D w/ a Continental MK2, anyone have experience with Continentals ? (tubeless btw)

I should say Im in central Ohio so not alot of steep, big drop stuff here but can be found in a short drive. Mostly hard pack with alot of roots and small rock gardens here and there. Each year the trails get a bit ruffer, been rainnig for days here so I cant even get a fix on my prophet while Im waiting on this RDO build AAHhhg.

This will be my 1st 29er, I cant wait. Right now the bike is spect w/ 100mm stem and 700-725mm bars turbine race face. Im headed to the bike shop right now to discuss changes & costs. Should I maybe 70-80 on the stem, longer on the handle bar? Im getting the large frame & at 5'11 i asked if shortening the cockpit is recomended or possible...

btw, I was 180lbs when I got married a year ago, now Im over 190, I need to ride more and work and eat less!

Carbon & Ti rule
    70 or 80mm would be a good place to start on stem.

You can shorten a wider bar but cant add to a narrow bar so buy wider than you think you may want.

As for wheels for the price of the upgrade I think I would pick the bike up with the wheels it has, get all the things like bars & stem sorted out right & then buy a second set of wheels in a month after ridding it & you have a clearer idea what you need.

You should be able to get a new set of Flow EX wheels for $450 to $500 out right not an upgrade.

Just my 2 c

I'm going to my lbs today, I'm sold on the Flows EX but I do belive $400 is a little high for upgrade, I could buy online and have 2 sets... light and heavy duty. I made the mistake of looking into tires, wow TMI made my head spin, It sounds like only the cheaper version of NN's availabe so I may pair the Hans D w/ a Continental MK2, anyone have experience with Continentals ? (tubeless btw)

I should say Im in central Ohio so not alot of steep, big drop stuff here but can be found in a short drive. Mostly hard pack with alot of roots and small rock gardens here and there. Each year the trails get a bit ruffer, been rainnig for days here so I cant even get a fix on my prophet while Im waiting on this RDO build AAHhhg.

This will be my 1st 29er, I cant wait. Right now the bike is spect w/ 100mm stem and 700-725mm bars turbine race face. Im headed to the bike shop right now to discuss changes & costs. Should I maybe 70-80 on the stem, longer on the handle bar? Im getting the large frame & at 5'11 i asked if shortening the cockpit is recomended or possible...

btw, I was 180lbs when I got married a year ago, now Im over 190, I need to ride more and work and eat less!
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Definitely go for a MUCH shorter stem at your height on the Large and maybe wider bars since this is a more agressive type build, think 50-70mm stem and 750mm> wide bar. As Muzz said, you can always cut a bar down, but you cannot add to one.

As to the tyres, the Mtn Kings are good tyres, but as you said so much choice these days for 29ers. Personally I'm a huge fan of Maxxis tyres, love the HR2 and the look of the DHR2, but if you're sticking to what the shop has in, then go with what looks and feels good to you and ask local riders what they're using.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'10 and ride a Med. frame with my saddle 30.25" from the BB center. I have a 100mm stem and don't feel stretched out at all. Try the shorter stems first. The shorter the stem the better for the downs as long as you can still climb comfortably. With 18" chain stays the shorter stem will help you loft the front end easier on a large frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I finally got this bike about a week ago, I was afraid my expetations would be too high but they were exceded. I took this out for a first ride along with my '05 Profit 600 lefty to compare, not really a fair fight. Let me say something kind about the prophet vs the rdo, the front end was lighter and that about sums it up. The jet 9 was better in every other way, I was doing alot of braking because I wasnt used to carrying so much speed into the corners, even so I tied my best time ever on the first ride. It was like a completely different trail as fast as I was going. It weighed in right at 27lbs, I will upgrade as I go, saving for carbon rims to start. I'll try to post ome pics, so glad I spent the money on this bike.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Very good

I finally got this bike about a week ago, I was afraid my expetations would be too high but they were exceded. I took this out for a first ride along with my '05 Profit 600 lefty to compare, not really a fair fight. Let me say something kind about the prophet vs the rdo, the front end was lighter and that about sums it up. The jet 9 was better in every other way, I was doing alot of braking because I wasnt used to carrying so much speed into the corners, even so I tied my best time ever on the first ride. It was like a completely different trail as fast as I was going. It weighed in right at 27lbs, I will upgrade as I go, saving for carbon rims to start. I'll try to post ome pics, so glad I spent the money on this bike.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Niner world! You have just joined a club of some of the best bikes out there. Your Jet 9 RDO, IMHO, is the best all around bike made(my apologies to owners of the Rip RDO) The only problem with it is it will make you go FASTER than you've ever gone, so get used to it first. Enjoy.
    Single Track Rules!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Welcome to the Niner world! You have just joined a club of some of the best bikes out there. Your Jet 9 RDO, IMHO, is the best all around bike made(my apologies to owners of the Rip RDO) The only problem with it is it will make you go FASTER than you've ever gone, so get used to it first. Enjoy.
    Heed this advice, my last ride the other day on my JRDO I got a little carried away, and came within 18" of riding straight off a 20' drop in to a ravine with no happy landing. I got a bit wound up in throwing the Jet at what is ostensibly a XC trail that I don't know inside out, at AM speeds.

Woke me up, and I had a silly smile, and wished I had a GoPro
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    , I was doing alot of braking because I wasnt used to carrying so much speed into the corners, even so I tied my best time ever on the first ride. .
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    The only problem with it is it will make you go FASTER than you've ever gone, so get used to it first. Enjoy.
    It freaks me out how fast this thing gets going. I have blown through so many corners the past 3 weeks as I am carrying so much speed up to them and this is on trails that I am very familiar with. I think I am going to have to relearn braking technique.

The little jet has scarred me several times but I am smiling the whole time. It hasn't been on the ground yet but at the speeds that I am going, it's gonna hurt once it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast