mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Jet 9 RDO Too-long Chainstay?

I'm considering a Jet 9 RDO, but am not too excited about the long chainstay. Its chainstay is even 5mm longer than that of the RIP. And of course also longer than the other bikes I'm thinking about...Epic & Scalpel. I'm strongly biased toward the Niner based on the way their hardtails handle, but this is a big concern for me as I've always preferred short chainstays

For those who have spent significant time on one, have you had any problems catching the rear tire on obstacles you're tring to clear? How about your speed on tight, slow corners? Also do you ever find the bike difficult to maneuver through tight spaces?

I expect to ride one soon to at least gain a first impression, but I certainly place a high value on the opinions of people with lots of saddle time.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have been riding 1 for a year & so has my wife, Ithe bike is very good in tight stuff.

It is stiff & goes were you point it, the steering is very nice in the tight swith backs.

Just remember that short chain stays is only part of the story.

I have ridden bikes with shorter chain stays that arn't a patch on the Jet9 carbon in the tight stuff.

The Jet9 RDO & the Rip9 have the same length stays.

Quote Originally Posted by fredbooxe View Post
    I'm considering a Jet 9 RDO, but am not too excited about the long chainstay. Its chainstay is even 5mm longer than that of the RIP. And of course also longer than the other bikes I'm thinking about...Epic & Scalpel. I'm strongly biased toward the Niner based on the way their hardtails handle, but this is a big concern for me as I've always preferred short chainstays

For those who have spent significant time on one, have you had any problems catching the rear tire on obstacles you're tring to clear? How about your speed on tight, slow corners? Also do you ever find the bike difficult to maneuver through tight spaces?

I expect to ride one soon to at least gain a first impression, but I certainly place a high value on the opinions of people with lots of saddle time.

mtbr member
    I've been riding and racing mine since July 2011, mostly endurance races but also some CX. Now that the season is done I've pulled out the A9C, and as awesome a hardtail the A9C is, and I really love it, my go to race bike will remain the Jet RDO.

Many of the local Front Range trails have water bars, some of them making steps 12-24 inches tall and typically I don't have any issues with clearing. In tight tree areas or rocks everything tracks well and quick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Have to say the website has me a bit confused.

It shows the RIP 9 RDO at 450mm/17.7". This was the basis for my 'RIP chainstay is shorter' assumption -- I should have specified the new RDO.

In line with muzzanic's response, the standard RIP, Jet 9 Carbon and RDO are all listed as 455/17.9.

And finally the aluminum Jet 9 shows remarkable versatility at either 17.9" or 450mm. I suppose continental Europe gets the shorter 450mm stays while a bloke in England would get the longer imperial version at 17.9".

I suppose the clear lesson is to ignore the catalog and get some seat time.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi sorry you said Rip9 & not Rip9 RDO,

Yes the Rip9 RDO has shorter chain stays than the Jet9 RDO & the Rip9 alloy.

Tere must be a typeo with the Jet9 alloy as it has 17.9/455

Quote Originally Posted by fredbooxe View Post
    Have to say the website has me a bit confused.

It shows the RIP 9 RDO at 450mm/17.7". This was the basis for my 'RIP chainstay is shorter' assumption -- I should have specified the new RDO.

In line with muzzanic's response, the standard RIP, Jet 9 Carbon and RDO are all listed as 455/17.9.

And finally the aluminum Jet 9 shows remarkable versatility at either 17.9" or 450mm. I suppose continental Europe gets the shorter 450mm stays while a bloke in England would get the longer imperial version at 17.9".

I suppose the clear lesson is to ignore the catalog and get some seat time.