mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Jet 9 RDO stage race and road trip durability?

I've short listed a few bikes as my next stage race rig with road trippin' capabilities, and the Jet 9 RDO (I have an opportunity for a 2013 XL RDO w/ 142x12 mm rear) is one the 3 on my list (along the Mach 429 and the Tallboy C 2 (already owned one for 3 years-great reliability-fun bike except for the small ring pedal feedback and mid stroke wallow). From the reading that I have done, it looks like there have been some frame reliability issues with Niner bikes. Just wondering if their issues with the Jet 9 RDO has been sorted out, or should I be looking to another frame to build up? It sounds like an amazing bike to ride and race, but I don't want to be half way through a stage race and realize I have a cracked frame and then scramble for a bike. Any feedback from the community on whether this will make it through a BC Bike Race or Breck Epic + the mandatory road trip of exploring trails on the way and the way back from the race?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    After my 2012 cracked they assured me that they redesigned the layup and reinforced that area. Still not sure if it was a manufacturing defect or a design flaw that caused my crack.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Jet9 RDO would be a very good bike for what you are wanting to do.

I have owned both the Jet9 & Tallboy & foe me the jet9 rdo was a much faster bike & pedaled much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It definitely seems the Jet 9 RDO would be a great stage racing bike, but how has the durability of the frame been? Are the updated frames that people have been getting back on warranty holding up or are similar problems occurring with those? I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if the 2013 Jet 9 RDO that I'm really keen to get will be more warranty trouble than it's worth? It doesn't matter how good a bikes rides or feels if you are always having issues with it... Durability is a big consideration for me, especially being a bigger rider. Thx.

mtbr member
    I'm 210 geared up and ride aggressive xc trails. My RDO is getting close to a year old and I have had zero issues. I think there was a bad run of frames and the one's before were good and the one's after are good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I have a 2013 RDO

Have been riding mine hard for 5 months and look for a crack after every ride and no problems. You will not find a better pedaling suspension bike..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm glad to hear that the frame quality control issue has been resolved, it does look like an amazing bike to ride for stage racing, and from all accounts , Niner seems to have great customer service. I've broken a frame on a road trip at Moab before, and it definitely takes some of the fun of riding trying to sort out a broken frame. I eventually gave up and ended up renting a bike for the remainder of the trip, which definitely added significant cost and hassle. I've also seem people who have travelled from overseas at BC Bike Race breaking frames mid race, and either buying new frames, or having to have their frames repaired in an improvised fashion to make it through the week. I'm trying to do my due diligence to avoid being in either of those situations, so I appreciate any honest feedback from the community

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have had my Jet 9 RDO, size large almost 2 years and ride it a few times a week and have crashed a few times in rocky areas as well. No problems at all with the frame durability. I built the bike for trail/AM riding and it's very fast even though it's not a light build compared to the XC builds that most folks seem to have. I highly recommend this frame.