mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO rear chainstay crack, warranty question

Today I noticed my rear chainstay is cracked.

Jet 9 RDO rear chainstay crack, warranty question-crack.jpg

It is possible that I caused this when I had a minor crash, but this bike has really seen no more than 3 minor laydowns. If it was caused by me laying it down, that rear chainstay where the cable runs through must be pretty fragile.

Does anyone know what the c5 warranty really means for this type of stuff? I emailed Niner today, but it is a Saturday, so I don't expect to hear anything from them until sometime next week.

I really liked everything about this bike, so I hope I can get it back on the trail real soon.

This really makes me question the viability of carbon as a trail bike if minor laydowns can cause this type of stuff. All my other aluminum bikes have lots of scuffs and scratches from the occasion mishap (that is just the nature of mountain biking) .... but this one is almost scratch free, yet it has a nasty crack.

I liked the bike so much that I'm sure I'll give it one more try even If I end up needing to buy a new rear triangle.
    Last edited by brightsky; 06-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It is always hard to see in a photo but are those scuff marks buy the crack ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It is always hard to see in a photo but are those scuff marks buy the crack ?
    Yes, they are some very light scuff marks in the clear coat. They are actually easier to see in the photo then in person (the flash highlights them).

Like I said, I have had a few minor low speed laydowns on the bike, so it is a good possibility that there was some light impact in that area. I also ride in pretty rough conditions with lots of rocks. What bothers me most is that these incidents were so minor that I was not even prompted to check over the bike right after. I noticed the crack as I was wiping the bike off after a muddy ride.

I've put all my other bikes (2 RIP 9s, air 9...) through all types of abuse with no issues. This bike has been babied so far. Maybe it was just really bad luck and the frame hit a pointed rock as it went down in one of the minor incidents. I was always afraid of carbon on a mountain bike for this reason, but I was convinced that they are now built to withstand normal use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If those scuff marks have anything to do with the crack then my Jet9 RDO will surely crack in about a half dozen places... Looks like pretty minor (and typical) heel scuffs from descending with your pedals level and probably some muddy conditions. I can't imagine it would affect a warranty claim.

mtbr member
    I got word today that Niner is sending me a new rear triangle. It is so refreshing to deal with company that has great customer service and stand behind their products. I had purchased the frame from competitive cyclist and they were also very easy to deal with in getting this resolved.

I think I'm going to wrap the drive side lower chain stay with a tube going forward. My gut tells me that the the outer material is really thin there and I think it has something to do with the affordance for the internal cable routing. You can hear how thin it is there by tapping on it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome service !
    Hope I don't need to take advantage of it, but nice to know it's there.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It looks like you bashed your frame on a rock.