mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Jet 9 RDO Re-sale value

Very new to MTBR. What should I ask for a 2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO Tang/Large? I went from Hardtails to FS and prefer hardtails so I need to sell this beauty. What is a fair amount to place in the classified section for a 5 month old frame in mint condition? Also including Chris King headset and XX front derailleur if that changes value. Thanks everyone.

lamer
    It's junk and not worth anything. I'll take it off your hands for $20

I'm not an expert, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get very close to MSRP for it in near-mint condition and Tang color, considering how supply/demand has been lately. If supply has picked up again, then you might have to lower the price a little bit, but the headset and FD does help out a little.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thats a hard one, My gut feeling would be somewere around the price of a new alloy Jet9 or Rip9 because that is what the new buyer may have been going to buy.

You do loose a bit because the warranty is 5 years but to the 1st owner, So that is a big draw card to people that keep there bikes for a long time.

I have got 4 people that have asked me if they can have 1st option if I sell mine but we have not ever talked money because it isn't for sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Man. Can't imagine someone selling.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmcgehee View Post
    Man. Can't imagine someone selling.
    If they made one in the Niner Green I would have to sell My lge Tang & get it

That green & black on the Air9 RDO is just awesome.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    If they made one in the Niner Green I would have to sell My lge Tang & get it

That green & black on the Air9 RDO is just awesome.
    Agreed.
    It would be hard not to say "bye bye Vana, hello Niner green".
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Thats a hard one, My gut feeling would be somewere around the price of a new alloy Jet9 or Rip9 because that is what the new buyer may have been going to buy.

You do loose a bit because the warranty is 5 years but to the 1st owner, So that is a big draw card to people that keep there bikes for a long time.

I have got 4 people that have asked me if they can have 1st option if I sell mine but we have not ever talked money because it isn't for sale.
    I was thinking $1,900-$2,000 too. The reason I'm selling is because when I go into high speed corners the rear feels flexy. Now don't get me wrong love the climbs and decents on the RDO but in North Texas we have more twists than elevation. I will surely miss not being sore after a long ride but stability in corners is important to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I have some recent experience here...

cllrmar,
    Much like you I can struggle with full suspension. My story...for the umpteenth time in my mtb life I wanted to make squish work for me. I was on my Jet RDO and doing pretty well with it, getting used to it, when we realized there was a defect. Sent it back for warranty replacement (Niner was great here, btw.) In the meantime, while waiting for the replacement, that got me back on my SS...in about 2 rides that felt completely natural to me...like coming home. So then I built up a hardtail to race, with 1x10. Not so sure the basic 29er hardtail with a 1x drivetrain isn't the absolute best, all around, if-I could-only-have-one-bike bike.

So back to the real question here. Since I do still have an El Rey for full suspension trail bike duty when wanted, and I do still like quite a bit of single-speeding, I decided to see if I could get a good amount for my Jet before I built it back up and it was no longer a "new" frame. I've had it in the classifieds for a week or maybe 2 now...new med. black frame, red CK headset, RDO post, the Niner seatpost clamp, MRP 1x chain guide, SRAM PF30 adapter...all for $2,500. And I haven't had 1 response or inquiry on it! I put it up for sale looking for information on price (as opposed to just asking for ideas like you did) and it seems as though I got an answer...$2,500 must be too much! I knew the warranty thing would not help, but I really thought I wouldn't have a ton of trouble moving it at that price. A new frame, plus some expensive parts, retail value over $3k...I really didn't think it was a bad deal for what APPEARS to be an in-demand item. More folks must have access to "bro deals" than I originally thought!

Anyway, not sure what sort of luck you may have. I'm about ready to pull it from the classifieds and just build it back up and have another go at it. I'm torn because I do feel some of the benefits of full suspension while riding...rear end sticking in corners, sitting and hammering on the flats, etc. But my racing weak spot is climbing, and regardless of how efficient all these new-fangled systems are...they still all feel sluggish to me when I'm out of the saddle hammering up a hill. And that stand up and hammer riding style seems to just be how I ride when I'm riding fast/racing. Don't know if it's from so many years of SS-only riding, being 185 plus pounds and just as comfy in a weight room as on a bike, or what. I was even having unusual-for-me lower back pain (one time so bad it almost forced me out of the race) on the Jet. It went away when I got back on the SS/hardtail and got back to standing and hammering. Strange as most people I know who go to full sus bikes to so to alleviate back pain from their hardtails.

It's really not a huge deal...money is not the issue...I have no plans on losing anything (or much at least) on it. Sometimes I just end up with so many darn bikes and I'll feel bad if this thing just sits in the garage. Oh well...a nice problem to have I suppose...just seems wrong to not have such a sweet bike go unridden most of the time. Anyone have a new medium black/green Air RDO they want to make a deal with?!

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO for sale

I found your ad by doing my research to help with my build decision on a Jet 9 RDO, so I would be intereted in your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    I found your ad by doing my research to help with my build decision on a Jet 9 RDO, so I would be intereted in your bike.
    PM sent!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Look at ebay completed sales. All you need to know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I sold the frame on EBay for $2100. New Air 9 Rdo is in and waiting for build.