Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 95

Thread: Jet 9 RDO pics

  1. #1
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253

    Jet 9 RDO pics

    Here she is, finally got her out last weekend. I can only describe the ride as fast, efficient yet comfortable, coming off a 29er hardtail/s for many years I am really appreciating some rear suspension again. I can't see any penalty over the hardtail, this bike seems to match the performance with the added benefits or rear suspension.

    Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO pics-430059_10150584921767804_722417803_9404096_1174468673_n.jpg  

    Jet 9 RDO pics-427656_10150584922717804_722417803_9404101_1657822614_n.jpg  

    Jet 9 RDO pics-431700_10150584922172804_722417803_9404097_590603744_n.jpg  

    Jet 9 RDO pics-403176_10150584923007804_722417803_9404102_1300301359_n.jpg  

    Jet 9 RDO pics-402483_10150584923192804_722417803_9404103_103862464_n.jpg  

    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hammerheadbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,781
    Wow! Beautiful RDO!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pat@bike.orbea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    67
    OMG!! nice BIke!!!!

  4. #4
    Every Ride A Gift
    Reputation: bwhip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    77
    Spectacular!

  5. #5
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Thanks dudes.
    Just some additional notes. It's setup with a 100mm fork, for those that like a bike that carves single track this one does that. Handling is tight and direct which I really enjoy but in no way is it scary, it's great for racing. With a -6deg 90mm stem I have found that on granny gear climbs even with grades at up to 27% the front end barely wants to wander. New XTR shifting is very direct and very positive, best I have ever experienced, super snappy. The XX Keronite fork is smooth and precise too, I really like the hydraulic lockout but I am still playing around with the perfect -ve +ve settings. You can run the Kashima rear shock in the wide open '0' sit and spin with no visible bob. If you like to mash out of the saddle, run it in propedal position '1' to still enjoy a nice plush rear end but no visible bob when out of the saddle, works for me. The J9RDO frame is stiffer than my hardtails so this I am sure is helping the handling a fair bit as is the 15mm front axle. The maiden ride was over 100km too so it did get a very thourough testing. eXC Beavers didn't like being run tubless, they both front & back had their sidewalls tear on rougher sections of track, unlike my Karma's which seem to be bullet proof. I really liked the way the Beavers rolled though but tubes only. I am really pleased that the bike can take 2 bottle holders & 2 full sized bottles, this is rare on a dually let alone a 29er dually. I suggest the King Cages for best results also, frame size is a small.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  6. #6
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Stunning bike, The game keeps getting lifted.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    46
    Great looking bike dude

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyMTB View Post

    Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.
    Wow, is it really only 21.5 pounds with pedals? What's your full build spec if you don't mind me asking and is that a World Cup SID?

    Oh yeah, nice beavers. (sorry, someone had to say it eventually)

  9. #9
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Wow, is it really only 21.5 pounds with pedals? What's your full build spec if you don't mind me asking and is that a World Cup SID?

    Oh yeah, nice beavers. (sorry, someone had to say it eventually)
    Yes, I like Beavers too - Just not tubless

    It's the World Cup SID XX, it weighed 1490 grams with a cut steerer. The seat tube is MSC's carbon titanium, not the lightest but it's cut down as well. Weight is as you see it in the photos but with stans 29er 'race' wheelset, Kenda Karma's and 90 mls of stans in each tyre.
    I confirmed the weight on two different digital scales and there was only a 20 gram difference between the two. I don't consider the parts to be overly weight weenie either for my weight of 73kg, there could be weight shaved elsewhere on the bike and myself , it's a triple ring crank too. Brakes are Formula R1's with carbon levers, nice brakes to use. The wheels in the photo are my training wheels which are stans crest's which make the bike a little heavier of course by roughly 200-300 grams I'm guessing, still pretty light considering it includes chain stay protector, der hanger, all shock hardware, bottle cage bolts and frame protection which comes standard with the Niner and it's very nice to have frame protection included with the frame from the factory.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    325
    Beautiful bike!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikerDude001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    57
    It's great to see that I'm not the only person left riding a triple crankset.

  12. #12
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDude001 View Post
    It's great to see that I'm not the only person left riding a triple crankset.
    I'm pretty sure there are a few of us still on triples. On a 29er with grades which can average 18% & kick to 27% and longer miles a triple is absolutely needed. Without going into ratio comparisons between doubles & triples, a triple makes the bike more versatile. Shimano 10 speed crank with 24t granny is closer to 32t middle now so shifting from granny to middle is really efficient. I also prefer to spend more time in a 32 that 26 or 28, 32 is more efficient I find.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  13. #13
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDude001 View Post
    It's great to see that I'm not the only person left riding a triple crankset.
    I'm pretty sure there are a few of us still on triples. On a 29er with grades which can average 18% & kick to 27% and longer miles a triple is absolutely needed. Without going into ratio comparisons between doubles & triples, a triple makes the bike more versatile. Shimano 10 speed crank with 24t granny is closer to 32t middle now so shifting from granny to middle is really efficient. I also prefer to spend more time in a 32 that 26 or 28, 32 is more efficient I find.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  14. #14
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyMTB View Post
    Here she is, finally got her out last weekend. I can only describe the ride as fast, efficient yet comfortable, coming off a 29er hardtail/s for many years I am really appreciating some rear suspension again. I can't see any penalty over the hardtail, this bike seems to match the performance with the added benefits or rear suspension.

    Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.
    That pic is the reason I haven't bought another XC bike yet... I really need to find someone in Miami that has one of these beauties that I can ride, even if it's in a parking lot, lol...
    I can't buy a bike without at least a test ride...

    I have everything ready.. XTR group components, Roval Carbon Rims w/ Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tires, FSA Carbon Bar etc., ready to install but no bike to sample... AMAIZING !!...

    That has to be one of the nicest builds I've seen... Congrats to you !!!

  15. #15
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    921
    I would bet many RDO owners bought without a test ride or even seeing the frame in person. I don't think I have heard of one RDO owner who has been disappointed.

  16. #16
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I would bet many RDO owners bought without a test ride or even seeing the frame in person. I don't think I have heard of one RDO owner who has been disappointed.
    How did you equip your bike?... What did the weight come in at?

    Because the less the bike weighs , the more I can eat...lol

  17. #17
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    921
    Forum search would be useful for you. As many threads about RDO. For example:

    Curious as to weights on Jet 9 RDO complete builds?

  18. #18
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Forum search would be useful for you. As many threads about RDO. For example:

    Curious as to weights on Jet 9 RDO complete builds?
    BTW, how do you like the front forks?

  19. #19
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,981
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyMTB View Post
    Here she is, finally got her out last weekend. I can only describe the ride as fast, efficient yet comfortable, coming off a 29er hardtail/s for many years I am really appreciating some rear suspension again. I can't see any penalty over the hardtail, this bike seems to match the performance with the added benefits or rear suspension.

    Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.
    Finally, an excellent XC race build for a Race Day Optimized Niner frame!!

    Well done. You build some sweet bikes for sure.

    Whatever happened to that 19.5 lb Soma Juice of yours?

    JuiceSSCrowsAngle

  20. #20
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    That pic is the reason I haven't bought another XC bike yet... I really need to find someone in Miami that has one of these beauties that I can ride, even if it's in a parking lot, lol...
    I can't buy a bike without at least a test ride...

    I have everything ready.. XTR group components, Roval Carbon Rims w/ Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tires, FSA Carbon Bar etc., ready to install but no bike to sample... AMAIZING !!...

    That has to be one of the nicest builds I've seen... Congrats to you !!!
    I replied to your other thread; I am racing the bike this weekend, lots of climbing and it's mostly lots of tight single track so I will report next week but so far I can't fault the bike other than it's made of carbon Those parts you have would make a very sweet build!
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  21. #21
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    BTW, how do you like the front forks?
    The fork hasn't dissapointed, for me it works and I really like the adjustability on the Rock Shox. It's unbelievable how they have managed to make a sub 1500 gram 29er fork which included the weight of the lockout. The fork is plenty stiff too compared to my Fox with less travel and 400 gram weight penalty over the SID.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  22. #22
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Finally, an excellent XC race build for a Race Day Optimized Niner frame!!

    Well done. You build some sweet bikes for sure.

    Whatever happened to that 19.5 lb Soma Juice of yours?

    JuiceSSCrowsAngle
    Hey BB,
    Wow, that was a while ago!
    That original Juice cracked, it was replaced under warranty OK so I sold the replacement frame as new and bought a Niner One 9 to take it's place. The Juice was a great bike even though it's a simple steel frame, very special sort of ride.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  23. #23
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyMTB View Post
    The fork hasn't dissapointed, for me it works and I really like the adjustability on the Rock Shox. It's unbelievable how they have managed to make a sub 1500 gram 29er fork which included the weight of the lockout. The fork is plenty stiff too compared to my Fox with less travel and 400 gram weight penalty over the SID.
    Thanks for replies... I going to take a giant risk and order the frame... first time I buy a bike without ever riding it...CRAZY !!!

  24. #24
    Enough of the dark side..
    Reputation: BillyMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Thanks for replies... I going to take a giant risk and order the frame... first time I buy a bike without ever riding it...CRAZY !!!
    I don't think I have ever pre-ridden a bike before buying it - 100% success rate so far, just do your research and it will be cool.
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

  25. #25
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Thanks for replies... I going to take a giant risk and order the frame... first time I buy a bike without ever riding it...CRAZY !!!
    I'm sure that you will just love the bike, If my bike got stolen there is no way I would look twice at before I ordered another RDO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •