Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jet 9 RDO pics

20K views 94 replies 38 participants last post by  Dry Cownty Brewer 
#1 ·
Here she is, finally got her out last weekend. I can only describe the ride as fast, efficient yet comfortable, coming off a 29er hardtail/s for many years I am really appreciating some rear suspension again. I can't see any penalty over the hardtail, this bike seems to match the performance with the added benefits or rear suspension.

Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.

Attachments

See less See more
#73 ·
I finally have some good (well good for my photography skills) pictures worth posting.

The bike is amazing in all situations. I picked it up Saturday and now have over 50 miles on it. I expected a lot out of this build but never thought I would get a bike that was so fast and fun to ride.
Bike looks awesome!!! Luv the look of the RDO with the Lefty :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Give us your impression of "the ride". :thumbsup:

#85 ·
TDO not RDO

Specs:
Size Med.
2013 RS Sid 120 rct3
I9 wheelset with Arch rims
RS Reverb Dropper Post
Race Face Next Crankset
Sram 1080 cassette
XTR 980 Ispec shifters
XTR 985 shadow plus rear derailluer.
Sram XO front derailleur.
XTR 988 Trail brakes with Ice Tech rotors
XTR pedals
Race Face Turbine stem
Niner Carbon bars
2.35 Nobby Nic ss front tire
2.25 Racing Ralph ss rear tire.
Spec Phenom saddle.
25# 5 oz.

Attachments

#92 ·
You know that you can get the Notubes stickes for your wheels with Pink writing.

Large V1.1 Vanna White
Fox Float 120mm CTD
Sram XX1
XT brakes
Hope/Stan's Crest wheels
Bonty 29-3 tires

24.95 lbs.

Yes those are pink esi grips... haters gonna hate. Feel free. Not taken em' off.

#91 · (Edited)
Another RDO

Picked up my Medium a couple days ago. Trails were too icy to ride over the weekend. I'll need to play with my position and eventually chop the steerer and maybe bars. Upgrading from an X.0 2x9 Jet9, so I'm excited about all this new trick gear!

Medium
XX1
SID XX WC
DT240/Crests
CR Elixer Mags, upgraded to XX rotors
RDO post and bar
SLR saddle
4ti pedals
22.3 lbs

I'm scratching my head how Billly's is .8lbs lighter, with a 3x.

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

#5 ·
Thanks dudes.
Just some additional notes. It's setup with a 100mm fork, for those that like a bike that carves single track this one does that. Handling is tight and direct which I really enjoy but in no way is it scary, it's great for racing. With a -6deg 90mm stem I have found that on granny gear climbs even with grades at up to 27% the front end barely wants to wander. New XTR shifting is very direct and very positive, best I have ever experienced, super snappy. The XX Keronite fork is smooth and precise too, I really like the hydraulic lockout but I am still playing around with the perfect -ve +ve settings. You can run the Kashima rear shock in the wide open '0' sit and spin with no visible bob. If you like to mash out of the saddle, run it in propedal position '1' to still enjoy a nice plush rear end but no visible bob when out of the saddle, works for me. The J9RDO frame is stiffer than my hardtails so this I am sure is helping the handling a fair bit as is the 15mm front axle. The maiden ride was over 100km too so it did get a very thourough testing. eXC Beavers didn't like being run tubless, they both front & back had their sidewalls tear on rougher sections of track, unlike my Karma's which seem to be bullet proof. I really liked the way the Beavers rolled though but tubes only. I am really pleased that the bike can take 2 bottle holders & 2 full sized bottles, this is rare on a dually let alone a 29er dually. I suggest the King Cages for best results also, frame size is a small.

#9 ·
Yes, I like Beavers too - Just not tubless :eek:

It's the World Cup SID XX, it weighed 1490 grams with a cut steerer. The seat tube is MSC's carbon titanium, not the lightest but it's cut down as well. Weight is as you see it in the photos but with stans 29er 'race' wheelset, Kenda Karma's and 90 mls of stans in each tyre.
I confirmed the weight on two different digital scales and there was only a 20 gram difference between the two. I don't consider the parts to be overly weight weenie either for my weight of 73kg, there could be weight shaved elsewhere on the bike and myself ;), it's a triple ring crank too. Brakes are Formula R1's with carbon levers, nice brakes to use. The wheels in the photo are my training wheels which are stans crest's which make the bike a little heavier of course by roughly 200-300 grams I'm guessing, still pretty light considering it includes chain stay protector, der hanger, all shock hardware, bottle cage bolts and frame protection which comes standard with the Niner and it's very nice to have frame protection included with the frame from the factory.

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure there are a few of us still on triples. On a 29er with grades which can average 18% & kick to 27% and longer miles a triple is absolutely needed. Without going into ratio comparisons between doubles & triples, a triple makes the bike more versatile. Shimano 10 speed crank with 24t granny is closer to 32t middle now so shifting from granny to middle is really efficient. I also prefer to spend more time in a 32 that 26 or 28, 32 is more efficient I find.

#14 ·
That pic is the reason I haven't bought another XC bike yet... I really need to find someone in Miami that has one of these beauties that I can ride, even if it's in a parking lot, lol...
I can't buy a bike without at least a test ride...

I have everything ready.. XTR group components, Roval Carbon Rims w/ Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tires, FSA Carbon Bar etc., ready to install but no bike to sample... AMAIZING !!...

That has to be one of the nicest builds I've seen... Congrats to you !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#20 ·
I replied to your other thread; I am racing the bike this weekend, lots of climbing and it's mostly lots of tight single track so I will report next week but so far I can't fault the bike other than it's made of carbon :eek: Those parts you have would make a very sweet build!

#22 ·
Hey BB,
Wow, that was a while ago!
That original Juice cracked, it was replaced under warranty OK so I sold the replacement frame as new and bought a Niner One 9 to take it's place. The Juice was a great bike even though it's a simple steel frame, very special sort of ride.

#26 ·
Excellent bike but I just don't see how that is 21.5 lbs.
I guess you said with your other wheels but even so.

Well done, I'm glad you find the ride so rewarding.
I'm still waiting for my carbon lefty steerer I ordered 4 months ago to complete my build.

#49 ·
Excellent bike but I just don't see how that is 21.5 lbs.
I guess you said with your other wheels but even so.

Well done, I'm glad you find the ride so rewarding.
I'm still waiting for my carbon lefty steerer I ordered 4 months ago to complete my build.
Yeah, it's definitely 21.5 lbs - confirmed that on two different digital scales and the difference was only a few grams. It could go lighter too, go a double crank, new XX grip shift, lighter seat post etc. There is one chap that built a large J9RDO and it is only 9.4kg, seen it on Niners Facebook Page, it has some funky Euro parts on it but that is damn light.

#31 ·
I'm running XX 175mm cranks on my Lge RDO with 156 Q factor & use US size 10.5 MTB shoes with no problem.

If you use much bigger shoes & your feet don't stay stright on the pedals you may want to go wider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.