Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jet 9 RDO pics

20K views 94 replies 38 participants last post by  Dry Cownty Brewer 
#1 ·
Here she is, finally got her out last weekend. I can only describe the ride as fast, efficient yet comfortable, coming off a 29er hardtail/s for many years I am really appreciating some rear suspension again. I can't see any penalty over the hardtail, this bike seems to match the performance with the added benefits or rear suspension.

Weight is a nice 21.5 lbs so it has ended up lighter than my hardtails, probably has a fair bit to do with the Keronite SID which is superb.

Attachments

See less See more
#51 ·
I'm extremely impressed with my Terralogic fork so far. It's slightly heavier, but the performance is quite remarkable, doing exactly what it's supposed to - staying nice and stiff on climbs and under hard cranking, and then immediately soaking up any actual bumps. Nice not to have to lock it out manually. I was a bit skeptical about it, but so far quite pleased.

#55 ·
An Update

I just want to write a little bit more about the J9RDO - Now having done another solid ride on it since the rains have paused I am even more impressed with the bike now if that was possible. The trail I did was mostly rocky, quite rough up and down so plenty of variety. I have also done this trail so many times I have lost count so I know it very well. The J9RDO was fast, in fact 10 mins faster than my fastest ever time on a hardtail 29er but that would makes sense since this track is rough. What I really loved though was how easily the J9RDO handled the rough climbs and rough single track, it's a dream come true. After 70km of riding that stuff I was still feeling fresh! It may be totally fitness or coincidence but the longer the ride went on the further away I got from my riding buddies, these are fit guys, I have to work and struggle to stay with them on road bikes but I feel that with the help of the J9RDO I had that little bit extra that made a huge difference on the trail. To put simply, the bike climbs like a hardtail but when it gets rough it knows how to look after you - what more can I say other than if you are on the fence don't wait, just get it if you like to go quick! I truly love mine and would even buy another if I could!

#57 ·
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant

new to posting, based in Rotorua, New Zealand, where muzzanic does most of his riding. Have been riding a SS SIR9 for over 3 years, just bit the bullet and purchased nice Jet9 RDO in stealth colours. Running 1x9 with E13 cranks and chain guide, white brothers loop 120, racing ralphs (FR 2.4 rear 2.25), niner carbon bars and post, niner stem. Eating up lots of miles quickly and loving it.
Coming off HT SS, I had been worried it wouldn't climb so well but after over 12 hours of riding in last 8 days have put that worry to bed. Mine isn't super light like a lot are posting (I am guessing 24 lb's) but is a practical build for this area and just performs amazingly well.

#58 ·
View attachment 687900

new to posting, based in Rotorua, New Zealand, where muzzanic does most of his riding. Have been riding a SS SIR9 for over 3 years, just bit the bullet and purchased nice Jet9 RDO in stealth colours. Running 1x9 with E13 cranks and chain guide, white brothers loop 120, racing ralphs (FR 2.4 rear 2.25), niner carbon bars and post, niner stem. Eating up lots of miles quickly and loving it.
Coming off HT SS, I had been worried it wouldn't climb so well but after over 12 hours of riding in last 8 days have put that worry to bed. Mine isn't super light like a lot are posting (I am guessing 24 lb's) but is a practical build for this area and just performs amazingly well.
Nice bike, We may well se each other on the trails soon.

I'm hoping to get over there on sunday, But maybe taking over some newbe's

#64 ·
Finally Complete!

After a couple months of slowly putting it together, ready to ride! Medium Licorice, Lefty Max w/110mm of travel, P321/Enve wheels, RF Next SL crank, set-up 1x w/MRP chain guide, XTR shifting, RDO bar and post, etc. Comes in at about 23.2 lbs. Can't wait to get it on the trail. It would have been another week probably to get that new shift kit from Niner, and already had cables/housings ran, so I hope no probs with the shifting.

Attachments

#66 ·
After a couple months of slowly putting it together, ready to ride! Medium Licorice, Lefty Max w/110mm of travel, P321/Enve wheels, RF Next SL crank, set-up 1x w/MRP chain guide, XTR shifting, RDO bar and post, etc. Comes in at about 23.2 lbs. Can't wait to get it on the trail. It would have been another week probably to get that new shift kit from Niner, and already had cables/housings ran, so I hope no probs with the shifting.
Beautiful, beautiful build !! How do you like the front shock on the bike ? Does it work well together with the rear suspension? Canrgats to you on the bike!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#67 ·
Thanks! Well, haven't actually hit dirt with it yet. Lots of rain Saturday, all the trails were too wet. Which, ironically, is the only reason I was able to get the build finished, as I wasn't riding! Maiden voyage tomorrow. However, I've been riding mostly Lefty's for the last couple seasons, and I have found them to be better in about every way than "standard" forks. So I'm pretty confident it will be great.

Randy

#68 ·
Thanks! Well, haven't actually hit dirt with it yet. Lots of rain Saturday, all the trails were too wet. Which, ironically, is the only reason I was able to get the build finished, as I wasn't riding! Maiden voyage tomorrow. However, I've been riding mostly Lefty's for the last couple seasons, and I have found them to be better in about every way than "standard" forks. So I'm pretty confident it will be great.

Randy
Give us you impression after the ride...:thumbsup:
I'm sure it will ride as good as it Looks...:thumbsup:
ENJOY THE RIDE !!! :D:D:D

#76 ·
First ride last night...

And all I can say is WOW!

- 110mm Lefty seems ideal.
- The handling...amazing. Niner just really has this down!
- It's like the combo of the frame, laterally stiff Lefty, and the Enve wheels (WOW on those too!) make for this one piece structure that helps allow the suspension to do it's thing perfectly.
- Speaking of...pedals amazingly well. I'm really probably a single-speeder at heart, so this was particularly noticeable to me.
- Was worried about the feel and power of the MT-8 brakes at first, but they came around.
- This thing prefers SPEED. Doing a 45 min shakedown at a slower pace before the main group ride started I was like "nice, but..." Then the real ride started, and the faster we went the more this bike shined. 2 hours later...WOW!

Randy

#77 ·
And all I can say is WOW!

- 110mm Lefty seems ideal.
- The handling...amazing. Niner just really has this down!
- It's like the combo of the frame, laterally stiff Lefty, and the Enve wheels (WOW on those too!) make for this one piece structure that helps allow the suspension to do it's thing perfectly.
- Speaking of...pedals amazingly well. I'm really probably a single-speeder at heart, so this was particularly noticeable to me.
- Was worried about the feel and power of the MT-8 brakes at first, but they came around.
- This thing prefers SPEED. Doing a 45 min shakedown at a slower pace before the main group ride started I was like "nice, but..." Then the real ride started, and the faster we went the more this bike shined. 2 hours later...WOW!

Randy
Awesome!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
ENJOY THE RIDE!!!:thumbsup:

#79 ·
Finally got mine in after a 2 month wait but was well worth it! Have had much of a chance to play with the suspension other then set the sag as I have had too much fun riding it to stop and make any changes. Overall it is a welcome replacement to my much loved Salsa Big Mama, geo numbers are very similar and lighter and better pedaling.

Build is Competitive Cyclists signature bike but I put my old Stan's Arches on for the time being as the Easton wheels that came with it didn't come with the valves for tubeless.

#82 ·
There isn't exactly a plethora of colors in Fox's lineup. Add to that the black Fox's are flat black not gloss. I may be wrong, but I think only the Talas' are black as well and typically cost more. So if you like Fox the choice is limited. That aside I don't think there is anything wrong a white fork on a black bike...there are much worse color combo's out there.

#86 ·
Sorry to hijack, I'll post pics of my rdo in the morning, but had a question for you rdo guys. Has anyone tried running a seatpost shim on this frame? I know its not ideal but have an almost new rdo post in 30.9 and driving me crazy that it's just sitting in the parts bin.

I've had the problem solvers 30.9 to 31.6 shim sitting here for the last month but too scared to try it. Common sense is telling me it may be a bad idea to put this extremely thin shim between two expensive pieces of carbon. Of course, I'd run the min amount of inserted post with plenty of grease. Anyone used this 30.9-31.6 shim on a carbon frame? Think it's worth a try or will I be wasting my time dealing with a creeking/loud seatpost? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers.

#88 ·
Yea, same thing I was thinking. I was hoping someone would say they've done it and works perfect..but seems like there is absolutely no feedback on the 30.9 to 31.6 shim regardless of the bike used on.

I would totally trade but I actually just bought the regular carbon niner post to use for the time being. Is their a trading section on this forum? Or just the "classified" section.

#89 ·
XX1 Jet 9 RDO for me!

XL White Jet 9 RDO
Fox Float 120mm, Maxle
SRAM XX1 Drivetrain
Shimano XTR 988 Trail Brakeset
American Classic MTB Wheelset
Schwalbe Ron & Ralph
Niner Flat Top Bar, ESI Chunky Grips
Niner RDO Stem 110mm
Kind Shock Supernatural Seatpost 435mm
Forte Pro SL Saddle
Shimano XT Pedals
26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.