Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Jet 9 RDO pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First ride last night...

And all I can say is WOW!

- 110mm Lefty seems ideal.
    - The handling...amazing. Niner just really has this down!
    - It's like the combo of the frame, laterally stiff Lefty, and the Enve wheels (WOW on those too!) make for this one piece structure that helps allow the suspension to do it's thing perfectly.
    - Speaking of...pedals amazingly well. I'm really probably a single-speeder at heart, so this was particularly noticeable to me.
    - Was worried about the feel and power of the MT-8 brakes at first, but they came around.
    - This thing prefers SPEED. Doing a 45 min shakedown at a slower pace before the main group ride started I was like "nice, but..." Then the real ride started, and the faster we went the more this bike shined. 2 hours later...WOW!

Randy

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    And all I can say is WOW!

- 110mm Lefty seems ideal.
    - The handling...amazing. Niner just really has this down!
    - It's like the combo of the frame, laterally stiff Lefty, and the Enve wheels (WOW on those too!) make for this one piece structure that helps allow the suspension to do it's thing perfectly.
    - Speaking of...pedals amazingly well. I'm really probably a single-speeder at heart, so this was particularly noticeable to me.
    - Was worried about the feel and power of the MT-8 brakes at first, but they came around.
    - This thing prefers SPEED. Doing a 45 min shakedown at a slower pace before the main group ride started I was like "nice, but..." Then the real ride started, and the faster we went the more this bike shined. 2 hours later...WOW!

Randy
    Awesome!!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Awesome builds

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Finally got mine in after a 2 month wait but was well worth it! Have had much of a chance to play with the suspension other then set the sag as I have had too much fun riding it to stop and make any changes. Overall it is a welcome replacement to my much loved Salsa Big Mama, geo numbers are very similar and lighter and better pedaling.

Build is Competitive Cyclists signature bike but I put my old Stan's Arches on for the time being as the Easton wheels that came with it didn't come with the valves for tubeless.

DFMBA.org
    I don't get white forks on all-black bikes. It's like a white hood on an all-black car.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboy View Post
    Finally built mine up after waiting 3 months for the frame. It is so fast compared to my enduro.
    Sex on wheels. Nice.

jk
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I don't get white forks on all-black bikes. It's like a white hood on an all-black car.

There isn't exactly a plethora of colors in Fox's lineup. Add to that the black Fox's are flat black not gloss. I may be wrong, but I think only the Talas' are black as well and typically cost more. So if you like Fox the choice is limited. That aside I don't think there is anything wrong a white fork on a black bike...there are much worse color combo's out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jk is correct. I had a black one on my Tallboy, it was not a Talas, and it was not exactly flat black but close (definitely not gloss black). From what I have understood, Fox only sells the Float 32 CTD (non-talas) 120mm to certain bike manufacturers, such as Santa Cruz, and Niner (100mm).

If you buy from Comp Cyclist or Speedgoat or these online retailers, they are unable to get black Fox 32 CTD Float 120m or 100mm forks in black, only white. So if you get the black licorice bike and you want the Fox 120mm fork you get the white. Unless you want the heavy Talas fork, then you can get black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think it looks good... I know this is a pic thread but personally I'd never let paint decide which fork I spec.

Nuts

TDO not RDO

Specs:
    Size Med.
    2013 RS Sid 120 rct3
    I9 wheelset with Arch rims
    RS Reverb Dropper Post
    Race Face Next Crankset
    Sram 1080 cassette
    XTR 980 Ispec shifters
    XTR 985 shadow plus rear derailluer.
    Sram XO front derailleur.
    XTR 988 Trail brakes with Ice Tech rotors
    XTR pedals
    Race Face Turbine stem
    Niner Carbon bars
    2.35 Nobby Nic ss front tire
    2.25 Racing Ralph ss rear tire.
    Spec Phenom saddle.
    25# 5 oz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO pics-imag0621.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO pics-imag0622.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO pics-imag0619.jpg  

And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry to hijack, I'll post pics of my rdo in the morning, but had a question for you rdo guys. Has anyone tried running a seatpost shim on this frame? I know its not ideal but have an almost new rdo post in 30.9 and driving me crazy that it's just sitting in the parts bin.

I've had the problem solvers 30.9 to 31.6 shim sitting here for the last month but too scared to try it. Common sense is telling me it may be a bad idea to put this extremely thin shim between two expensive pieces of carbon. Of course, I'd run the min amount of inserted post with plenty of grease. Anyone used this 30.9-31.6 shim on a carbon frame? Think it's worth a try or will I be wasting my time dealing with a creeking/loud seatpost? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Sorry to hijack, I'll post pics of my rdo in the morning, but had a question for you rdo guys. Has anyone tried running a seatpost shim on this frame? I know its not ideal but have an almost new rdo post in 30.9 and driving me crazy that it's just sitting in the parts bin.

I've had the problem solvers 30.9 to 31.6 shim sitting here for the last month but too scared to try it. Common sense is telling me it may be a bad idea to put this extremely thin shim between two expensive pieces of carbon. Of course, I'd run the min amount of inserted post with plenty of grease. Anyone used this 30.9-31.6 shim on a carbon frame? Think it's worth a try or will I be wasting my time dealing with a creeking/loud seatpost? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers.
    I wouldn't consider it. Not a chance in carbon. Too risky i say for damage. I have a regular Carbon Niner post, 31.6 Red i would trade you though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea, same thing I was thinking. I was hoping someone would say they've done it and works perfect..but seems like there is absolutely no feedback on the 30.9 to 31.6 shim regardless of the bike used on.

I would totally trade but I actually just bought the regular carbon niner post to use for the time being. Is their a trading section on this forum? Or just the "classified" section.

mtbr member

XX1 Jet 9 RDO for me!

XL White Jet 9 RDO
    Fox Float 120mm, Maxle
    SRAM XX1 Drivetrain
    Shimano XTR 988 Trail Brakeset
    American Classic MTB Wheelset
    Schwalbe Ron & Ralph
    Niner Flat Top Bar, ESI Chunky Grips
    Niner RDO Stem 110mm
    Kind Shock Supernatural Seatpost 435mm
    Forte Pro SL Saddle
    Shimano XT Pedals
    26lbs (includes pedals, tubes, pump & cage)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO pics-20130208_191503.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO pics-20130208_191530.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO pics-20130208_191515.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

V1.1 Large RDO w/ XX1

Large V1.1 Vanna White
    Fox Float 120mm CTD
    Sram XX1
    XT brakes
    Hope/Stan's Crest wheels
    Bonty 29-3 tires

24.95 lbs.

Yes those are pink esi grips... haters gonna hate. Feel free. Not taken em' off.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Another RDO

Picked up my Medium a couple days ago. Trails were too icy to ride over the weekend. I'll need to play with my position and eventually chop the steerer and maybe bars. Upgrading from an X.0 2x9 Jet9, so I'm excited about all this new trick gear!

Medium
    XX1
    SID XX WC
    DT240/Crests
    CR Elixer Mags, upgraded to XX rotors
    RDO post and bar
    SLR saddle
    4ti pedals
    22.3 lbs

I'm scratching my head how Billly's is .8lbs lighter, with a 3x.

Jet 9 RDO pics-ninerrdo.jpg
    Last edited by tyuska; 02-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    You know that you can get the Notubes stickes for your wheels with Pink writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashtastic View Post

Large V1.1 Vanna White
    Fox Float 120mm CTD
    Sram XX1
    XT brakes
    Hope/Stan's Crest wheels
    Bonty 29-3 tires

24.95 lbs.

Yes those are pink esi grips... haters gonna hate. Feel free. Not taken em' off.

mtbr member
    Definitely found my new favorite thread. Hopefully this bike is in my life by summer.

mtbr member
    I've posted much of this in another thread, but I want to add my own pics to this list of amazing bikes.

Jet 9 RDO pics-niner-jet9-rdo-4489.jpg

Jet 9 RDO pics-niner-jet9-rdo-4490.jpg

Jet 9 RDO pics-niner-jet9-rdo-4488.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Unless you want the heavy Talas fork, then you can get black.
    This is where I am glad I chose personal preference and a bit of perfomance over weight reduction to my satisfaction. I went with the heavy Talas, and it is hands down the best fork I've ever run on a bike. I am glad I did not go with an SID XX World Cup, which was the only substantial weight savings I would have noticed because I am convinced that the added flex of the XX would not have complimented my riding style. I am especially glad I opted for the extra 122g of the Talas over the Float as I still believe it is a better fork and the white color doesn't work for me on a black Jet.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4