Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Jet 9 RDO opinions on: Rockshox SID 120mm vs Fox Float 32 120mm front fork.

I know there is a thread asking about 100mm or 120mm. I want 120mm, I know that, but what are your opinions of these front forks. Rockshox makes the SID RLT in a 120mm 15qr. Then there is the Fox 32 with 120mm and 15qr. I will use the bike in cross country and trail use. Looking for the best plush fork that is capable of trail and cross country duties and light. I can't seem to track down the actual weight on the SID but as far as performance goes, is it reliable. I owned a FOX float 32 on my TallboyC and it was the kashima coated and it was really nice, but willing to give the SID a try on my new Jet 9 RDO build if you all think its worth its salt. Comments??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Doesn't the SID have the hydraulic lockout like the XX? The Lockout is REALLY nice and the Fox does not have that. I think the Rockshox is equally plush.

mtbr member
    I have the 120mm Revelation RCT3 Dual air and it is amazing! Great tune-ability. I ride in a lot of rocks, roots, and technical areas and after about 6 rides have it dialed in to where I get great small bump compliance and also big hit smoothness (for me a drop of no more than 3') After correctly setting sag I still have aprox. 10 mm of travel left after a days ride, which means to me I'm getting almost all of my travel with just the right amount left should I hit a REALLY big drop! It's also a great climber as you can adjust the lock-out 3 different ways for climbing. The fork feels stiff, tracks great, and with all the adjustability I don't think you could go wrong. I have a friend who runs a Fox 120 on his Scott Carbon and he just ordered a new RDO with the SID XX in 120mm after riding mine-he HAD always been sold on Fox.

Hope this helps.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the good observations. I am familiar only with the Fox, I sold the Tallboy C for the Jet 9 RDO frame and am in the process of building it up. I had the fox 120mm float 32, the non CTD. Great fork, loved it, but I've heard Rockshox has really stepped up and I'm listening. Does your friend have his Jet 9 RDO built up yet with the SID 120mm?

I got nothin'
    I am in the process of building up a new RDO with a 120 SID. I haven't ridden it yet, so I am not a lot of help, but my research led me to the SID over the Fox. It's lighter weight than the Fox and several have said that the SID was more reliable and required less maintenance. I have a REBA Race on my SS and it's been ok. The seals leaked a bit and I recently sent it off to PUSH for a rebuild. I guess time will tell with the SID.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Both forks work great, The biggest thing Fox has going for it is its name. Based on the preventative maintenance schedule I would go SID. Fox is a very sensitive 30 hour service. SID is 50 hours and see a lot of people go relaxed on that without damage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would look for the RCT3 damper if you go with Rock Shox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Thanks for the good observations. I am familiar only with the Fox, I sold the Tallboy C for the Jet 9 RDO frame and am in the process of building it up. I had the fox 120mm float 32, the non CTD. Great fork, loved it, but I've heard Rockshox has really stepped up and I'm listening. Does your friend have his Jet 9 RDO built up yet with the SID 120mm?
    He has been told, because of ordering the XX1 component group, that his build won't be available for 6-8 weeks. He has, however, ridden my bike with the Revelation RCT3 fork and been able to compare it to his Fox. Liked mine enough over his Fox to order the SID. If you read these forums often (and I know you do) Rockshox has indeed seemed to have stepped up. I, for one, am totally happy with mine and would highly reconmend it for my type of terrain(see above). That said, I don't think they make the dual air Rev anymore, thus my friend ordering the SID. If you can find one though, it's probably a reduced price and I would pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I would look for the RCT3 damper if you go with Rock Shox.
    +1 on the RCT3
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I went with the SID RCT3 solo air for a number of reasons:

1. First is the weight savings, almost 200 grams less than the float 32 I had on my Rockstar Ti. Per my scale, with similar size steerers.

2. Have always found Rockshox more 'tunable' meaning i personally feel that dialing a rockshox fork has been easier for me than the numerous fox forks that i have owned.

3. I like the added rigidity of the 15 maxle lite vs. the 15qr on the fox. I can wrench it down tighter allowing for less flex in the corners.

This is my three cents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a used Fox 120mm Teralogic fork I hope to use until I can get a new fork, has anyone got and experience or comment on a Terralogic on an RDO? thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like the RCT3 SID come only in 9mm. Does anyone know if it comes in 15mm QR?

As far as I can tell in a SID fork only the SID RLT and SID XX world cup come with a 15mm QR, furthermore, it seems only SID RLT is 120mm of travel and the SID XX comes only in 100mm of travel. Is this a correct observation?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Sid rct3

It comes in a 15mm maxle lite. this the fork i have on my jet and i love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 22Rowdy22 View Post
    It comes in a 15mm maxle lite. this the fork i have on my jet and i love it.
    Well that changes everything. I guess I'll try and hunt down this fork. 22Rowdy22, you have the 120mm fork (I know it comes in this option and wonder if that is what you are running)? Where did you purchase yours? Am I correct in concluding the RCT3 is a step below the XX SID?

Edit: My bad, I missed your reply 4 days ago where you made it clear you had the 15mm maxle lite. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Help me out here, but as I found weights on these two, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the Fox 32 CTD 29er 120mm float is much lighter than the Rockshox RCT3 120mm Fork.
    This really surprises me, I know Fox lowered the weight on their shocks but I didn't think it was that significant.

Here is what I found:

Fox site says:
    32 FLOAT 120 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust
    15QR (includes axle)
    3.22 lbs / 1.46 kg (1.5" taper steerer) [1460.57 grams]

RockShox SID RCT3
    Solo Air 120 29" Suspension Fork
    MaxleLite15 Black MotionControl DNA 3-Position Crown Adjust
    1675grams (3.69 lbs)

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Help me out here, but as I found weights on these two, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the Fox 32 CTD 29er 120mm float is much lighter than the Rockshox RCT3 120mm Fork.
    This really surprises me, I know Fox lowered the weight on their shocks but I didn't think it was that significant.

Here is what I found:

Fox site says:
    32 FLOAT 120 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust
    15QR (includes axle)
    3.22 lbs / 1.46 kg (1.5" taper steerer) [1460.57 grams]

RockShox SID RCT3
    Solo Air 120 29" Suspension Fork
    MaxleLite15 Black MotionControl DNA 3-Position Crown Adjust
    1675grams (3.69 lbs)
    I think you grabbed the specs for the 26" version of the Fox. Here's the 29er: 32 FLOAT 29 120 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust 15QR (includes axle) 3.99 lb / 1.81 kg (1 1/8" steerer) 3.96 lb / 1.8 kg (1.5" taper steerer)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think you are right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Fox also specs their weight with a shorter steerer.

Nuts
    I'm going through this same thing right now xx Sid, RCt3 Sid, revelation or Fox ctd. All the same price so confused.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I didn't think the SID came in a 120mm size, now through my shopping around I see it does come in a 120mm size. So the XX SID 120mm is basically a bit of a lighter SID version? Yeah, I'm bangin my head to make a choice here.

Is the SID XX 120mm better than the RCT3 SID?

Found a few nice prices, I'll keep looking for better.

RockShox SID XX 29 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" steerer 15mm thru axle, 120mm travel, white suspension fork

RockShox SID RCT3 Solo Air 120mm

Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 120 CTD Fit Fork - Competitive Cyclist

Nuts
    You could add this to your list as well if you didn mind 20mm axle
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    And I love beer!!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You could add this to your list as well if you didn mind 20mm axle
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" Taper 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    That's a pretty heavy fork for the Jet 9 RDO and also too much travel at 140mm. Perfect fork for an RIP 9 though!

Nuts
    [QUOTE=kwarwick;10093804]That's a pretty heavy fork for the Jet 9 RDO and also too much travel at 140mm. Perfect fork for an RIP 9 though![/QUOTE

The travel can be reduced easy and its listed at about the same weight as the Fox.
    And I love beer!!

I got nothin'
    I bought this fork: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air 29er Fork 2013

It's the SID RCT3, 120mm travel, tapered steer tube, 15mm axle. Use the VIP15 coupon at checkout for an extra 15% off the price.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's the same one that I am running, no complaints here. I think you will be happy with your purchase!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    After I cut my steerer and installed my crown race and star nut, the SID RCT3 weighed 1640g including the axle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast