mtbr member

New question here. Jet 9 RDO Lower Shock Bolt Head not Flush. Help?

Hey, everyone. My Jet 9 RDO frame arrived today. As I was inspecting it I noticed that the lower shock mounting bolt was loose. Looking closer, it is apparent that the bottom of the head (incl. washer) is not flush to the frame. Due to the curvature of the frame near the BB housing, and the location of the bolt hole, I see no way of fixing the problem. I definitely do not want to torque it down for fear of cracking the carbon. Has any one come across this before? Manufacturing defect? I highlighted the area in the pic below. Thanks!

Name:  Jet9RDO Shock Bolt 2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  67.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here is mine.

Looks flush. I would email your picture to Niner and ask them what they think. They have been very quick to respond to my question.

Carbon & Ti rule
    On our 3 bikes the bolts come through from the other side.

With the nut on that side im sure it will do up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Hey, everyone. My Jet 9 RDO frame arrived today. As I was inspecting it I noticed that the lower shock mounting bolt was loose. Looking closer, it is apparent that the bottom of the head (incl. washer) is not flush to the frame. Due to the curvature of the frame near the BB housing, and the location of the bolt hole, I see no way of fixing the problem. I definitely do not want to torque it down for fear of cracking the carbon. Has any one come across this before? Manufacturing defect? I highlighted the area in the pic below. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yea, mine has the nut on that side side (although that should not make much of a difference). I would try swapping it around and seeing if the bolt/washer can be pushed upward a little before tightening. It looks to be very tight in that area on my bike also.

mtbr member
    I just received mine from Hammerhead Bikes as well. My lower shock bolt is also reversed, like the others, and looks just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just noticed this thread. I noticed that that one bolt was also really loose on my Jet 9 RDO when I was finishing my build last week. I didn't look carefully to see if the bolt head was flush or not. I went ahead and torqued it down according to spec, but then two rides later noticed it was super loose again! The bike is at the shop tonight, but I'm going to look carefully at it tomorrow. Your issue is clearly a qaulity control problem and I'd say for sure a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post

Are the frames supposed to come with those bolts/bracket where the front derailleur attaches? Mine surely didn't.

Also, when I removed the shock to install needle bearings at the top bushing, upon reinstalling the lower shock bolt I popped a small circular portion of paint/clear coat from the frame around the hole when reinserting the bolt.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure it should come with those bolts for the front der.

Mine had some paint missing around the hole as well. Also looked like someone installed the bolt, decided they didn't like it, then flipped it around so the nut was on the non-drive side, and then left it loose. It was obvious it had be tightened down previously, as the washer was bent where it ran up on the curvature near the bottom bracket.

Seems the quality control is lacking. I can't complain too much, as the closeout deal was great. But still, a Niner frame should be a Niner frame, regardless of the price you paid.

FYI - I did flip the nut (back) to the drive side. Seems to be doing OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My white/black Jet9 RDO also has some paint chipping around the derailleur mounts. At first it cracked and I freaked out thinking there was some kind of structural crack. Then the paint came off in a "flake" and I knew it wasn't a big deal. I might put some clear nail polish on the bare carbon but I'm not concerned about the flaking. It's pretty minimal and basically out of sight. And, really, all painted surfaces eventually rust, chip, scratch, fade etc.

mtbr member
    clear nail polish. good call. think i'll follow your lead on that one.