Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO or Jet 9 Carbon

I'm at a stand still on which bike I want.

My dealer is willing to build up either frame to my specs and the price difference is $600.

He says he would go for the Carbon, save some money, maybe a little more robust and not much of a weight penalty.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out on the Carbon and I wonder what the weight difference would be.

I don't race but I do want a bike that is below 24 lbs.

I actually like the Moon-dust color and I don't really care for the green and black RDO. Niner is out of RDO's and they say they should have more next month but we all know how that usually goes.

I could have the Carbon built up and ready to ride by this weekend. Who knows when I would have the RDO.

Thought?

USED2COULD
    I'm assuming the carbon is the 2012 RDO, and that is what I have. Mine is a pretty pricey build as most RDO's seem to be and comes in just under 23lb. To I under 24 lb you are looking at an aggressive build either way.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Moosehead
    Do you consider the rear through axle and carbon upper link important enough to pay the increased price and wait longer? Otherwise, plenty of v1.1 RDO's (synonymous to 2013 J9C) in the 24 lb range.

IMO, put the extra money into a nicer wheelset and be riding the pony this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    I'm assuming the carbon is the 2012 RDO, and that is what I have. Mine is a pretty pricey build as most RDO's seem to be and comes in just under 23lb. To I under 24 lb you are looking at an aggressive build either way.
    So the Carbon is basically just a 2012 RDO?

Yes, my build is pretty agreesive.

Thompson cockpit

XX1

Mavic SLR's

Sid WC

XTR brakes

Carbon & Ti rule
    Build the 1 that you can afford to put the best wheels on.

If that extra $600 is robing some money from the wheel set , Don't do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will have to run the Rock Shox Sid and really pay attention to every parts weight to hit 24lbs. I have the 2012 Jet9 RDO frame with a Fox 120mm with QR15 some carbon parts ,XX1 and Stan's Crests with mid weight tires. Mine is currently at 25lbs.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Build the 1 that you can afford to put the best wheels on.

If that extra $600 is robing some money from the wheel set , Don't do it.
    Agreed. Wheels is where it is at. oh and Lefty's
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member

My original Jet 9, size XL, is 23.5 lbs. You can get a Jet 9 RDO into the 22 lb range with some solid high end parts, not a problem. Lower than that and you'd be taking weight weenie shortcuts.

The RDO and Carbon frames weigh almost exactly the same, 5-5.5 lbs, heavier through-axle, lighter carbon rocker.

The Mavic wheels and especially the Thomson gear is too heavy. Look at Enve.

mtbr member

Did you see the Red Carbon, with matching fork?? Jet 9 Carbon, and upgraded wheels would be a bad ass ride!
    http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psef9c885a.jpg

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Did you see the Red Carbon, with matching fork?? Jet 9 Carbon, and upgraded wheels would be a bad ass ride!
    I thought I'd like it - but I don't like that photo.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    My original Jet 9, size XL, is 23.5 lbs. You can get a Jet 9 RDO into the 22 lb range with some solid high end parts, not a problem. Lower than that and you'd be taking weight weenie shortcuts.

The RDO and Carbon frames weigh almost exactly the same, 5-5.5 lbs, heavier through-axle, lighter carbon rocker.

The Mavic wheels and especially the Thomson gear is too heavy. Look at Enve.
    That's a light weight Jet 9, especially given it is an XL. Nicely done. I think to get a Jet 9 RDO in to the 21.X's I expect part choices would as-you-point-out, start to feel like weight weenie compromises. My bike is at 22.9 lb, and the only things I feel I'm giving up are maybe an ounce with my XO crankset over an XX (could go lighter with a Cannondale Si). My saddle, a WTB Laser V Stealth, but I'm old enough to not mess with my saddle, and I ride one form of Laser or another on all my bikes, and the stealth is the lightest they have in that form factor (~240g). Leaving the cassette as the one place I know I could go and reclaim 1/4 lb should the mood strike me.

Bailey44 - you'll save some weight running XX1 over XX chose tires carefully I'm sure you will be good to go. Regardless either will be a blast to ride.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Got one. It just arrived at my team's shop. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    That's a light weight Jet 9, especially given it is an XL. Nicely done. I think to get a Jet 9 RDO in to the 21.X's I expect part choices would as-you-point-out, start to feel like weight weenie compromises. My bike is at 22.9 lb, and the only things I feel I'm giving up are maybe an ounce with my XO crankset over an XX (could go lighter with a Cannondale Si). My saddle, a WTB Laser V Stealth, but I'm old enough to not mess with my saddle, and I ride one form of Laser or another on all my bikes, and the stealth is the lightest they have in that form factor (~240g). Leaving the cassette as the one place I know I could go and reclaim 1/4 lb should the mood strike me.

Bailey44 - you'll save some weight running XX1 over XX chose tires carefully I'm sure you will be good to go. Regardless either will be a blast to ride.
    Thank you. A Lefty and 1x10 are two ways to cut weight significantly. I wouldn't use them if I didn't prefer to race them, but they work for me. XX1 on the J9C with 36t in front should be a dream, really looking forward to the new bike.

Jet 9 RDO or Jet 9 Carbon-img_0021_w.jpg

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Got one. It just arrived at my team's shop. Can't wait!

Thank you. A Lefty and 1x10 are two ways to cut weight significantly. I wouldn't use them if I didn't prefer to race them, but they work for me. XX1 on the J9C with 36t in front should be a dream, really looking forward to the new bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021_w.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	793330
    I love Lefty's too - my RDO uses an XLR Carbon
    Jet 9 RDO or Jet 9 Carbon-img_2531.jpg
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    I ended up working out a deal on a RDO that they had built up for someone whom just backed out of the deal. They are tearing it down now and will build it up to my specs.

I changed the Thompson gear over to Niner gear as I was able to work out a better deal since it was already on the bike.

Stayed with the SID XX fork.

I stuck with the Mavic Crossmax SLR's because at 1620 grams, they are not too heavy, should hold up to my 208 lbs and the white hubs will look good on the black and white bike. I will run Maxis IKONs as those are the tires I love.

All in all, I think I walked out with a great bike that looks cool and shouldn't be too heavy. I am having to wait 1-2 weeks for the XX1 hub conversion to get here, otherwise, it would be ready tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Awesome - love my van as well. Got to say the rear suspension is so nice on my back, but I do need to figure out the rp23 settings for racing, climbing etc.

I don't know how you guys get such low weights- I went as light as I was prepared to go and are nowhere near some of these weights , he'll, like most I'm 20lbs heavier than an elite racer, so 2 pounds on the bike is moot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Awesome - love my van as well. Got to say the rear suspension is so nice on my back, but I do need to figure out the rp23 settings for racing, climbing etc.

I don't know how you guys get such low weights- I went as light as I was prepared to go and are nowhere near some of these weights , he'll, like most I'm 20lbs heavier than an elite racer, so 2 pounds on the bike is moot
    I have only ridden a 29'er once and it was a 30 lb SB95. The shop says it will be a night and day difference from my ASR5C. I can't wait to try it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    You can get the XX1 to work ok with a 10 speed cassette to get you out riding now.

I sometimes use 1 of my 10 speed wheels on my XX1 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I ended up working out a deal on a RDO that they had built up for someone whom just backed out of the deal. They are tearing it down now and will build it up to my specs.

I changed the Thompson gear over to Niner gear as I was able to work out a better deal since it was already on the bike.

Stayed with the SID XX fork.

I stuck with the Mavic Crossmax SLR's because at 1620 grams, they are not too heavy, should hold up to my 208 lbs and the white hubs will look good on the black and white bike. I will run Maxis IKONs as those are the tires I love.

All in all, I think I walked out with a great bike that looks cool and shouldn't be too heavy. I am having to wait 1-2 weeks for the XX1 hub conversion to get here, otherwise, it would be ready tomorrow.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have only ridden a 29'er once and it was a 30 lb SB95. The shop says it will be a night and day difference from my ASR5C. I can't wait to try it.
    The Jet9 RDO will change the way you look a MTB for ever, You will no longer accept that a bike that climbs super fast is limiting on the downs

mtbr member
    I can wait, I want some "good bye" rides on my Yeti anyway.They actually offered me a set of wheels to use for now but the shop is 1.5 hours away and I'd rather just wait until it's done to get it.
    You can get the XX1 to work ok with a 10 speed cassette to get you out riding now.

I sometimes use 1 of my 10 speed wheels on my XX1 bikes.

Moosehead
    The Jet9 RDO will change the way you look a MTB for ever, You will no longer accept that a bike that climbs super fast is limiting on the downs
    Not sure which is more sensational, these types of comments (Muzz and others), or the closeout pricing on v1.1's, but both put me over the wall without a test drive or prior 29 in the stable. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Not sure which is more sensational, these types of comments (Muzz and others), or the closeout pricing on v1.1's, but both put me over the wall without a test drive or prior 29 in the stable. Thanks all.
    Me too brother...me too...

USED2COULD
    I can wait, I want some "good bye" rides on my Yeti anyway.They actually offered me a set of wheels to use for now but the shop is 1.5 hours away and I'd rather just wait until it's done to get it.
    Are you going to run the Nobby Nic's they have on the prior build? I'm a big Schwalbe fan, and have a set of Racing Ralph's, and Nobby Nic's just as I did when I rode 26" wheels.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post

It all adds up, 100 grams here, an Oreo cookie there... ;-)

I just look at some of the gear the World Cup guys race and try to model after that. They cut weight everywhere but its got to be durable too. Other than some of the ultra-slick tires like 1.9 Renegades. I'm not ready for that.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club! You've just entered a whole new world of mountain bike riding. I think you'll be glad you went with the RDO over the jet 9 carbon. I believe the rear shock is different on the 2 bikes as well. Great build. Enjoy and post pics and comments after your first ride. BTW, we already know its FAST
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Welcome to the club! You've just entered a whole new world of mountain bike riding. I think you'll be glad you went with the RDO over the jet 9 carbon. I believe the rear shock is different on the 2 bikes as well. Great build. Enjoy and post pics and comments after your first ride. BTW, we already know its FAST
    Thanks man!

The wait is already driving me crazy and it's only been like 16 hours...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast